I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns and money
The shit has hit the fan - Help!
Coming back
Hurry Up!
Very happy to see you are writing poetry again show.
smile.r191677.gif
OFC

See, they were right over at THR , other schools do do it too. Other schools with coaches from UNC.

Originally posted by skysdad:

Originally posted by Showenuff:

I went home with a waitress
The way I always do
How was I to know
She was with UNC too? - Ooh!

I was cheating in Chapel Hill
I took a little risk
To get me out of this - Hey!

I'm an innocent bystander
And somehow I got stuck
Between Fats and a hard place
And I'm down on my luck
Oh I'm down on my luck
Yes I'm down on my luck

I'm hiding in AFAM Class
I'm a desperate man
The shit has hit the fan - Help!

Coming back

Hurry Up!
Very happy to see you are writing poetry again show.
smile.r191677.gif
OFC

laugh.r191677.gif

How did I miss this? I was scrolling through trying to read DevilDJ's posts (great job by the way), but I must have had my mine somewhere else.
Anyway, great job, Show. As Sky said, I'm glad you're back at it again, buddy!

OFC

"COMMENTS" section of most recent Bob Lee link...

a Wolfpack alum

re:TGU. Could it be....if the NCAA drops a hammer, they would have to drop it on every sport in the entire AD, as every sport had student athletes taking those courses.
Maybe the NCAA does not know how to punish the entire university Athletic Dept. How many scholarships do they suspend for the girls softball team, the swimming team, the tennis team...etc.?? SO no decision is the only available decision they believe they have.
______________?

BL:

That could be the dilemma .... a scandal soooo large there is no penalty heavy enough to do it justice ??

Saw this on a State forum. It's from a Memphis fan.....

spankadelphia
Noob
4 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Posted: Today 2:07 AM

Re: UNC Scandal - How student-athletes' GPAs at UNC were boosted

The University of Memphis received an NOA from the NCAA in January of 2009 regarding the Derrick Rose thing (pretty quick, huh?). Calipari convinced our brain dead AD to sit on it until after he had taken the UK job. He may never have gotten the job if our AD had any stones. He would have been stuck here to deal with the NCAA mess himself. We had the ultimate trump card and never even used it.

The point is, UNC can sit on that NOA as long as they want to. Surely they're consulting with legal and PR before going public. Dotting i's and crossing t's, so to speak.

unx in full-on "Damage Control" mode. Love it...;)

Andrew Carter‏@_andrewcarter

No, UNC hasn't received the notice of allegations. When it does, we'll know pretty soon after. Won't be a secret for days.

Richard Wilson ‏@rwwilmington

@_andrewcarter so.... Who told Ingram what? And why? doesn't seem like Ingram would just make this up.

贾斯汀 ‏@_keator

@rwwilmington @_andrewcarter ingram said on ESPNU last night as of the 17th UNC has not heard anything.

Andrew Carter ‏@_andrewcarter

@rwwilmington I think it's pretty unreasonable/unfair for people to think he knows the investigative process. My guess is he misunderstood.

@_andrewcarter just seems like he was told "something" by "someone" definitive date etc. And ingram brought it up

Kris ‏@wardboy1974

@_andrewcarter is Ingram or Roy lying?

@_andrewcarter “[Coach Williams] talked privately a little bit, and they have just got the [notice of] allegations April 17th....so we’ll go from there and [Wed] with the next in-home visit so we’ll see,” Ingram said. Just seems RW told him something

Andrew Carter ‏@_andrewcarter

@rwwilmington could have been that's when Roy thought it'd come but again that document doesn't say anything about sanctions.

https://twitter.com/_andrewcarter

unc still waiting on NCAA notice of allegations, despite buzz over Brandon Ingram comments

...something like throwing a piece of raw but nutritionally-questionable meat to a starving pack of wolves. People devoured the morsel with little regard to the fact that it looked a little off and smelled funny.

Can't imagine what fanbase that was intended for. Carter really is a shameless tarhole homer.

During the ACC's spring football teleconference, I asked unc football coach Larry Fedora whether there'd been any update to the NCAA investigation timeline. He said no and added that unc remains “at the mercy of the NCAA.”

Boo-hoo. Poor Larry. Playin' the "victim card." Ain't like his employer made this bed , right?

You have to remember that Williams, like pretty much all of his fellow unc coaches, has been getting hammered on the recruiting trail.

Again , unx made this bed by cheating their azzes off for 20+ years while lording that lie known as the "carolina way" over rivals. Not gonna lose any sleep over Roy's self-inflicted recruiting woes.

Duke and Kentucky have those things, too, and they also have this: the ability to plant doubt about unc's future.

Duke and UK don't have to belittle unx to sell THEMSELVES. Wouldn't matter to unx anyway. For every school that doesn't use unx's looming sanctions against Roy/Larry , another school WILL. Comes with the territory. Here's a crazy idea for unx. Stop cheating. This won't be an issue.

No one knows what penalties unc might face and how much, if it all...

Really? "If at all?!" Oh yeah , perfectly plausible. 20+ sports programs at unx involved in the scam...but not men's basketball. No evidence out there to suggest as much either. None. WTF?

Logically, it follows that the men's basketball program won't be punished as severely as, say, the women's basketball program,
which was shown to have a direct link (Jan Boxill) between the team and the suspect classes. There are records that show that Boxill, who was a longtime academic adviser for the women's basketball team, was directly involved in guiding players to bogus courses and arranging passing grades for players who completed suspect work.

Only in the insulated , head-up-yer-azz-world of THR or IC is such a notion "logical." I've been hearin' the women's program will get nuked. Not one iota dirtier than the men's though. Now we know who the next "rogue offenders" are gonna be. That lawless women's program. "Bye-bye , Cynthia.

The African Studies paper class case at unc is nuanced and layered. There is no precedent for the NCAA to use, no history of similar cases because the one at unc is unique. And so there's only questions and plenty of speculation about what might happen. There is nothing but a cloud of uncertainty and unknowns – a cloud of junk, Williams might call it.

LOLOLOL! Egregious , in-yer-face , out-n-out cheating is "nuanced and layered." Ok. Sure. Whatever. unx is "unique" though. Being the dirtiest program in the history of the NCAA is pretty dadgum "unique." Lulz.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...ticle19249779.html#/tabPane=tabs-b0710947-1-1

New DTH editorial...

Opinion: The “Move unc Forward” petition is deeply misguided

Professor Cindy Schauer’s petition to “move unc forward” from its athletic-academic scandal seems to be motivated by good intentions — namely, to refocus unc’s attention upon other pressing issues. Ultimately, however, the over 100 professors who have signed the petition seem too eager to embrace complacency.

The petition itself seems likely to be ineffective either way. It is directed at no one in particular and features no call to action besides asking for a general softening of attitudes toward unc’s past misdeeds.

In a letter to The Daily Tar Heel, Schauer acknowledged unspecified problems with the national collegiate athletics model but emphasized unc’s inability to change it alone.

unc cannot change the NCAA on its own, but it should not be content to continue taking part in an exploitative enterprise without using its institutional weight to push for significant change.

And Schauer’s praise for the University’s transparency seems too generous given the administration’s unwillingness to admit to what was suggested by the records uncovered by the Wainstein report — that the scandal was not confined to one academic department.

If the unc community wants to hold the high ground it desires on other issues, it must not shy away from the injustices in athletics it perpetuates.

To do so, unc’s administration ought to confront these issues — not cast itself on the side of the NCAA in fighting to perpetuate a fraudulent business.

http://www.dailytarheel.com/article...move-unc-forward-petition-is-deeply-misguided

For context , keep in mind that Emmert's comments were in regards to the NCAA's initial hesitance to return to unx...

NCAA President Mark Emmert explains differences between Syracuse, North carolina cases

NCAA President Mark Emmert said the "academic issues at Syracuse were right in the NCAA's wheelhouse" while speaking to the Associated Press Sports Editors on Thursday.

Emmert spoke during a 90-minute session in front of about 30 sports writers and editors at the Associated Press offices.

In March, the NCAA leveled harsh penalties against Syracuse as a result of multiple infractions during an eight-year investigation.

The NCAA president spoke briefly Thursday about the differences in the investigation at Syracuse and the ongoing academic scandal at North carolina.

chris carlson @ccarlsononSU

Emmert on Syracuse case: Different from unc because it was case of athletic dept officials contributing to cheating. "In NCAA's wheelhouse."

Emmert: They didn't go in and say that course was a fake course, not holding itself to standards.

Emmert: they argued that athletic officials were complicit in helping athletes cheat

FWIW Emmert's comments re: differences were regarding syracuse and initial decision not to get involved at unc.

@OttosGrove @CuseChris Was discussing initial disinterest in unc. Declined to comment on current. But makes you wonder, for sure.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangesport...resident_mark_emmert_syracuse_basketball.html

Lots here. A sampling. B-Rad , Chansky AND Stroman. "Axis of Evil..."

WCHL & Chapelboro @WCHLChapelboro

Big one coming up: unc Sports with Amy Perko, @BradleyBethel, Barry Jacobs, @drstroman and Art Chansky! #WCHLForum

Stroman: "Is there a difference between Duke and Kentucky? It's all about winning. I don't see much difference." #WCHLForum @drstroman

Bethel: "The problem is that the athletes themselves have a limited voice in this discussion." @BradleyBethel #WCHLForum

Chansky: "Why college athletics has gotten out of control is because the money is out of control." #WCHLForum

Bethel: "Most unc special admits are not committee cases - 160 special admits, 11 committee cases last year." #WCHLForum @BradleyBethel

Bethel: "Universities have to be careful about what committee cases they admit - does unc have resources to help them succeed?" #WCHLForum

Stroman: "The system is built is built for 150% commitment by the athlete. Reducing official hours won't help." #WCHLForum @drstroman

Bethel: "A college isn't always going to be able to make up for the education a student didn't receive in K-12." #WCHLForum @BradleyBethel

Chansky: "The Wainstein Report was the biggest mistake unc could have made. It has prolonged the scandal." #WCHLForum

https://twitter.com/WCHLChapelboro

I'm blocked so if anyone can access @paperclassinc for more info on this , please post it. Sounds interesting...and not surprising either...

Paper Class Inc. @ paperclassinc

Collusion between the NCAA and unc? YES. Verified here. From transcript of 'attempted' interview 2/20/15.

CDTRy0YUsAEGLZ3.jpg

https://twitter.com/paperclassinc

Duke poster turns B-Rad's "Coaching The Mind' into "Minding The Coach." Can follow 'im on Twitter.... @yibyabby . Latest blog post. Don't always agree with 'im but his posts are always compelling....

Move unc Forward

Dr. Cindy Schauer, Associate Professor of Chemistry in unc at Chapel Hill's College of Arts & Sciences, has led a campaign calling for members of the University community to stop being divisive and come together to productively move unc forward past this "unfortunate episode." The open letter to the community can be found here, which, as of the time of this posting, has been endorsed by 135 current and retired faculty.

Introducing it that way makes it sounds like a well-intentioned, collegial appeal for cooperative engagement seeking resolution to a scandal that has rocked the institution, created rifts within the community and won't seem to die out, even after almost 5 years of discovery, inquiries and pronouncements.

While maybe well-intentioned, I don't believe it is collegial, nor do I interpret it as a call for cooperative engagement. It's a call to silence dissent, on the grounds that such dissent is baseless, motivated by something less honorable than the motive to "move forward," and that the vocal dissent is a principle reason why the scandal focus persists.

Dr. Schauer's opinions on the matter, expressed in conjunction with the message of the Move Forward statement she's authored, have also been published in the Daily Tar Heel:
November 14th, 2014
November 18th, 2014
March 5th, 2015
April 19th, 2015

Now, I'm not unc faculty, but I've become transfixed by this Move unc Forward campaign and the list of names of those who've added their digital signature to the statement (a couple of which surprised me enough to give me pause and reconsider the basis of my criticism of the "Move Forward" mode of thinking.)

I've taken the liberty of reformatting the statement as a series of tenets, like a creed, without (I hope) altering the message. I wonder if all signatories so far are truly affirming each of these statements:

We, the undersigned faculty and faculty emeriti:

1. Feel shocked and angered by the academic scandal revealed in the Wainstein Report and preceding investigations.

2. Believe faculty and faculty administrators should be at the forefront and have a duty to be vigilant in upholding the academic integrity of our institution.

3. Attest to the detailed and transparent approach of the University's leadership in identifying and acting on the full scope of problems uncovered.

4. Believe effective administrative controls have already been put in place in many cases to ensure that the past won't be revisited.

5. Believe the athletic program has been completely revamped, serving as an example of one of those effective controls mentioned above.

6. Believe the university is well underway toward a comprehensive analysis of all processes that affect the lives and education of our student athletes and optimize their experience on campus.

7. Believe this process stated above, while slow-going, is thoughtful and will position unc well for the future.

8. Are perplexed by the unbalanced media treatment that fails to acknowledge these aforementioned processes and controls that have been completed or are ongoing.

9. Assert that this media imbalance is amplified by some members of the unc community who seek media spotlight to rehash resolved issues as if they are ongoing problems.

10. Assert that such members have cast broad aspersions on individual departments; actions that are divisive and counterproductive.

11. Call for all members of the community to move forward from this unfortunate episode, and address the challenges together in a productive and non-divisive way.

If I could, I'd love to ask each professor, lecturer, dean or administration staff member signing this these questions:

A) What if one disagrees with the premise that the university leadership has been transparent in identifying and acting on the FULL SCOPE of the problems uncovered? (#3)

B) What if one disagrees with the claim that effective administrative controls have been enacted "in many cases," thus not ensuring that the past won't be revisited? (#4)

C) What if one disagrees with the assertion that the athletic program has been revamped completely, and that fundamental issues remain un-addressed (particularly since the author of the letter, herself, has asserted that the primary nature of the scandal is academic and not athletic)? (#5)

D) What if one does not believe the university is well underway on the path to optimizing student-athlete experiences, at least not until certain hard truths are acknowledged and addressed rather than glossed with platitudes of "transparency," "70 reforms" and feigned "revamping?" (#6)

E) What if, by disagreeing to the above tenets, the dissenters make their voices heard through media? Is it fair to quiet dissent through argumentum ad hominem about motives ("seeking media spotlight") and disputed claims ("rehashing resolved issues")? (#9)

F) What is dissent supposed to be if not challenging (aka divisive) to those within the community they feel are being complicit in failure to adequately resolve the issue by making -- at least what the dissenters feel is -- a Pollyanna assessment of the resolution exercise to date? (#10)

G) If, by disagreeing with one or more of these tenets, is it sufficient to simply not sign? Or shouldn't, even if one doesn't feel a duty to be vocal in dissent, allow others that freedom who do feel such a duty? Or must one expect dissent to remain silent simply so as not to be divisive, just to ease the angst of those who wish to Move Forward without discomfort of disagreement?

I don't side with Dr. Jay Smith or Mary Willingham on everything they claim, assert or espouse. Criticism of this Move Forward mindset is not an endorsement of their arguments or statements.

However; I can't understand what this Move Forward letter seeks to accomplish other than to try to shout vocal dissent into silence through strength of numbers, particularly when the very premises claimed in the statement are, themselves, disputed and the very reason for their dissent. I'd think faculty at a university would recognize that and see such a statement as this to be anathema to the university environment.

Apparently there are at least 135 faculty at unc-Chapel Hill who do not.

http://mindingthecoach.blogspot.com/2015/04/move-unc-forward.html

Boxill’s role in academic scandal still under fire

Six months after an administrative assistant was positioned at the center of unc’s academic scandal, the involvement of respected professor Jan Boxill remains in question.

Boxill taught 160 independent study courses in the philosophy department during eight years as a senior lecturer at the University, an unusually high number, according to the philosophy department chairman, who could count on one hand the number of independent studies he’s taught.

Boxill could not be reached for comment.

In his letter of intent to discharge, Provost Jim Dean wrote to Boxill that it appeared she allowed students to be enrolled in philosophy courses that “involved minimal academic expectations and that were offered at times to accommodate student-athletes.”

Dean declined to comment, saying in an email, “The letter speaks for itself.”

Chancellor Carol Folt said in an interview last week she believes the academic irregularities were contained to the Department of African and Afro-American Studies.

“Jan Boxill’s a professor, and she is allowed to give independent studies,” Folt said. “And I think as (Wainstein was) reviewing it they could look at them, but I don’t think they had any reason to think that Jan Boxill did not grade her own independent studies, and that’s the real issue.”

Ultimately the Wainstein report was an opinion, Folt said, and Wainstein put forward his ideas.

“When Wainstein wrote that allegation, it wasn’t even clear that those independent studies that she did do were not good,” she said. “We had nothing to do with what Wainstein said. So he could have gone as deep as he wanted into the philosophy department, into any department, and he saw and did not believe that he needed to.”

Boxill’s role in the unc scandal included steering athletes to fraudulent courses, writing papers for athletes and suggesting grades to former administrative assistant Deborah Crowder, according to the Wainstein report.

Wainstein’s team of investigators became aware of Boxill’s independent studies after reviewing her emails and following up with the Office of the University Registrar, said Joseph Jay, one of Wainstein’s investigators, who is an attorney at Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP. The team determined they were not irregular because Boxill was a member of the faculty, unlike Crowder.

"... A secretary grading students’ papers is very different than a faculty member grading the work,” Jay said in an email. Boxill’s courses didn’t fit Crowder’s pattern, he said, because they involved heavy faculty-student interaction.

“We saw evidence that she was calling in students to meet with her and she was communicating with them via email. She was a professor at the University of North carolina at Chapel Hill.”

As a faculty member, Boxill would have undergone review at least every five years, according to standards of unc’s accrediting agency, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.

Commission president Belle Wheelan said while the accrediting agency doesn’t have separate standards for independent studies, faculty are reviewed extensively using institutional assessments and course syllabi to ensure they are qualified to assess student learning.

If a faculty member is found to be unqualified after the full review, he or she is either removed from teaching the course or removed from the position altogether, Wheelan said.

Marc Lange, chairman of the philosophy department, said in November that independent study courses have always been pretty unusual in the department.

In 2012, unc added new standards for its independent study courses, including that professors must limit the number they teach to two students per semester.

Timothy Cain, a higher education professor at the University of Georgia, said standards for independent studies vary based on the professor.

He said he typically doesn’t take on more than two or three per semester because of the workload, which includes meeting with students, providing feedback on products and preparing for meetings with the students.

“The most appropriate standard for an independent study is that it should be the equivalent amount of work undertaken and learning experienced as that in a regular course, although, of course, there is no one set standard for non-independent studies,’ he said in an email.

Before 2012, unc had minimal oversight of its independent study courses.

Emails released with the Wainstein report show that athletic counselors steered students to Boxill’s independent study courses. The emails also show correspondence with Boxill between students.

In one email, Boxill relayed information from an academic advisor to a student which said the student would be eligible for graduation provided a high grade in a PHIL course.

“I just talked with Betsy Taylor in Steele Bldg, and she said she is making you a degree candidate for May,” Boxill said in the email, “and that we are correct-all you need to do to graduate is to PHIL with an A-!! And THAT will be done!!! This so great.”

CLARIFICATION: A previous version of this story did not specify the length of time during which Boxill taught at unc. She taught independent study courses during eight years as a senior lecturer, but she was at unc for nearly 30 years. The story has been updated to reflect this clarification.

http://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2015/04/boxills-role-in-academic-scandal-still-under-fire

BTW , what is Folt blabbering on about? Only unx would pay for (another!) investigation then dispute its findings. An "opinion?!" If she (unx) really believe that then they must also admit they (once again!) paid an azzload of money to NOT reach a definitive answer. The stewardship of tptb at unx must be called into serious question as well. Who's mindin' the store when millions are poured into investigations with no concrete conclusions? If unx ( and Folt! ) stick by the "It was only Wainstein's opinion" mantra then they must also concede that (yet!) another investigation is needed. Clownshoes. 100% clownshoes. What a disgrace of a public university. Just nuke it from outer space and salt the earth under it. It's the only way to be sure.

Reactions: Mark Gastineau
NCAA President Mark Emmert spoke at the Associated Press Sports Editors meeting yesterday in Manhattan. During his speech, he touched on a bunch of different topics, some of which were specific to Syracuse University and why the NCAA felt as though it had say over what happened here and not, initially, at North carolina.

That's a bit of mental gymnastics for sure considering the shady unc classes in question were implicitly created to help athletes. But, whatever, the NCAA is investigating unc now. If they don't bring down the hammer, SU fans should save their vitriol for that.

http://www.nunesmagician.com/2015/4...is-here-to-save-deluded-college-athletes-from

Long story short. #carolinaway...

And now we learn that no report will marshal the key evidence and articulate the key arguments that reflect lessons learned and the collective wisdom of the working group. Instead we will be referred to a website that will inevitably leave many questions unanswered and many others unasked. The rhetoric of “transparency”–a watchword of the Carol Folt regime–continues to conflict with the reality of obfuscation.

http://paperclassinc.com/provost-dean-and-his-working-group/

Boxill won't go quietly. Others involved too? More "rogues?" Say it ain't so. LMAO @ unx...

Jan Boxill says she did not teach 160 independent study courses at unc

The former philosophy professor is refuting records that say otherwise.

Jan Boxill is refuting records
that indicate she taught 160 independent study courses during an eight-year period at unc.

Records obtained by The Daily Tar Heel in November showed that Boxill, a philosophy professor, offered 160 independent study courses between spring 2004 and spring 2012.

According to an independent investigation by Kenneth Wainstein, Boxill steered athletes to fake classes in the former Department of African and Afro-American Studies.

Former philosophy department chairman Geoffrey Sayre-McCord, who was the chairman between 2001 and 2011, said in November that teaching more than 150 independent studies is an unusually large number.

In a phone interview Friday, Boxill defended her independent study courses and clarified department policy during her time there.

Boxill said she served as the director of undergraduate studies for the philosophy department from 1994 to 2006. She also said she served as interim director from 2007 to 2008. Boxill said during that time, it was common practice to file all independent studies under the director’s name.

She said a number as high as 160 would include independent study courses taught by other faculty members.

A 2012 report found the former Department of African and Afro-American Studies to have followed a policy like the one Boxill described.

“It was the department’s practice to list under a single instructor of record on an official grade role multiple independent study students who were presumably taught by different instructors of supervision,” the report states. “This practice made it difficult for the review committee to determine precisely which faculty member supervised each independent study student in question.”

Provost Jim Dean commented on the philosophy independent studies in a letter announcing her discharge from the University.

"In addition to the foregoing activities connected to the AFAM paper classes, it appears that you also allowed students to be enrolled in independent study courses in the Department of Philosophy that involved minimal academic expectations and that were offered at times to accommodate student-athletes," he said.

Boxill stood by the manner in which she taught independent studies and said she is unsure how many independent study courses she taught at unc because it was over such a long period of time. She declined to speak further about unc's scandal.

Check "COMMENTS" section. BTW , Cravey is a prof at unx...

Altha Cravey

Someone should collect number of independent studies in geography department. The numbers taught by one person might well surpass Jan Boxhill's numbers. According to the book "Cheated" there were very few profit-athletes in the 1990s (and into the 2000s) that did not take GEOG 95 (Independent study). That is to say, many of the male football and basketball players over the years took Independent Studies in geography with one particular professor. This single course appears to have been a pilot program for what came later in AFAM. The geography department still awards a undergraduate travel award honoring Burgess McSwain, a key figure, now deceased, in creating and expanding the shadow curriculum. It's clear if Burgess were still alive, the Official Story would lay blame on Burgess-Debbie-Julius, not simply Debbie-Julius.

http://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2015/04/jan-boxill-independent-studies

Has North carolina reached the Eve of Destruction?

While Mark Emmert and the NCAA fiddles to find a way to avoid punishing the North carolina Tar Heels over the widely publicized academic scandal, one organization has not taken unc’s 18 years of academic fraud with a grain of salt and a wink of the eye by the NCAA.

Emmert seemingly wants no part in punishing unc...yet North carolina is apparently immune to unc punishment as he explained in this article over at Fox Sports.

Apparently, a school who encourages its athletes to take paper classes is no longer an issue with the NCAA. A reckoning, however, is coming in June. unc's good ol' boy relationship with the NCAA has no bearing here.

Shame on Mark Emmert. The facts don't match the above statement when you consider...

Kenneth Wainstein’s investigation last fall found athlete eligibility at the heart of the scandal. The former federal prosecutor said that Deborah Crowder, an administrative aide who managed the African studies department, created the fake classes in 1993 after academic counselors for athletes complained that her boss’ independent studies were too rigorous.

The commission has requested more information about the scandal and is expected to consider sanctions against the university in June.

Compounding unc's potential problems, the U.S. Department of Education may also place sanctions on the school, particularly if the school loses its accreditation. Meanwhile, the NCAA appears to be sticking its head in the sand, reluctant to do anything. Originally, they said it was an academic issue and didn't involve athletics.

Meanwhile, the Athletic Department continues as if nothing has happened or changed. You have to ask, though, what other choice do they have? unc's 2015 basketball recruiting class currently ranks 95th and their 2016 football recruiting class current ranks 43rd. Both rankings are from 247 Sports. Clearly, recruits are taking a wait and see approach before committing to the Tar Heels.

http://www.aseaofblue.com/2015/4/27/8502327/has-north-carolina-reached-the-eve-of-destruction

Has North carolina reached the Eve of Destruction?

While Mark Emmert and the NCAA fiddles to find a way to avoid punishing the North carolina Tar Heels over the widely publicized academic scandal, one organization has not taken unc’s 18 years of academic fraud with a grain of salt and a wink of the eye by the NCAA.

Emmert seemingly wants no part in punishing unc...yet North carolina is apparently immune to unc punishment as he explained in this article over at Fox Sports.

Apparently, a school who encourages its athletes to take paper classes is no longer an issue with the NCAA. A reckoning, however, is coming in June. unc's good ol' boy relationship with the NCAA has no bearing here.

Shame on Mark Emmert. The facts don't match the above statement when you consider...

Kenneth Wainstein’s investigation last fall found athlete eligibility at the heart of the scandal. The former federal prosecutor said that Deborah Crowder, an administrative aide who managed the African studies department, created the fake classes in 1993 after academic counselors for athletes complained that her boss’ independent studies were too rigorous.

The commission has requested more information about the scandal and is expected to consider sanctions against the university in June.

Compounding unc's potential problems, the U.S. Department of Education may also place sanctions on the school, particularly if the school loses its accreditation. Meanwhile, the NCAA appears to be sticking its head in the sand, reluctant to do anything. Originally, they said it was an academic issue and didn't involve athletics.

Meanwhile, the Athletic Department continues as if nothing has happened or changed. You have to ask, though, what other choice do they have? unc's 2015 basketball recruiting class currently ranks 95th and their 2016 football recruiting class current ranks 43rd. Both rankings are from 247 Sports. Clearly, recruits are taking a wait and see approach before committing to the Tar Heels.

http://www.aseaofblue.com/2015/4/27/8502327/has-north-carolina-reached-the-eve-of-destruction
u duke bastarrds are so ****ing stupid

Paper Class Inc.@paperclassinc

@jaysmith711 over at Duke OLLI tomorrow for Sport & Spectacle class- to discuss #cheated and the NCAA

Terrance Robinson ‏@therealterrance

@AGoldFan @joeovies this is my problem with the NCAA I am a Duke fan but stop dragging your feet and hands down the sanctions enough already

Adam Gold@AGoldFan

@therealterrance @joeovies supposed to happen in the fall

Personally, I'd just as soon see it drag out longer. I'm not convinced that the NCAA is going to take down UNC, and at least the cloud hanging over the Heel's heads is a punishment itself.

OFC

Reactions: Skeelow22
A few quotes but READ the breakdown of the e-mail from Crowder. Honestly , if just one such document like this was unearthed at Duke , I'd say shut the damn place down and start over. Actually , I feel dirtier just for reading it....

The Anatomy of Athletic-(Academic) Corruption

Over at Inside carolina, the fan forum for true blue Tar Heel devotees, there’s a competing interpretation of the AFRI/AFAM course fraud that manages to exonerate the athletic department from wrongdoing.

To clear-eyed observers it is obvious that this is a preposterous claim.

Even so, we would like to focus attention on one particularly rich email–one of many rich emails written by Debby Crowder to ASPSA staff. Virtually every sentence of this email shows Crowder’s exceptionally solicitous attitude toward athletes. It shows her actively looking for new ways to bend or ignore standards for an athlete with whom she had become extremely close. It shows that corruption required teamwork–and that back-scratching and winking at rules worked in two directions during the course fraud scheme. First, the text of the email, with ellipses taking the place of redacted words:

The e-mail....

http://paperclassinc.com/the-anatomy-of-athletic-academic-corruption/

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Hilarious? Pathetic? Both...?

heelswin
All-American
2715 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Nominate | Report
Posted: Today 12:18 PM

My letter to my Congressman re NCAA

I am posting a copy of my letter to my Congressman, Tom Price, in the hope that some of you will likewise follow my lead (feel free to use my language). Please post if you are lead to do similarly.

Letter to Tom Price, 4-28-15

Re: NCAA ‘investigations’

Dear Congressman Price:

I have a twofold purpose in writing to you today. First, I want to thank you for your very fine work for our 6th Congressional District. You are diligent and conscientious and we thank you mightily.

Secondly, I want to suggest that you act to rectify a great wrong currently prevailing in our society today. There is an un-checked quasi - governmental organization running amuck in the midst of our university sports system. The organization of which I speak is the NCAA.

There are many instances that can be cited to show the unrestrained wrong this group perpetrates today, but I believe there is not a more flagrant instance than what the NCAA has done in reference to the University of North carolina.

Our football program was investigated and put on ‘probation’ several years ago. Now, upon the unconfirmed allegations of a former member of one particular unc basketball team, the NCAA investigators have returned to Chapel Hill to undertake, not confidentially but quite publicly, another investigation of unc athletics. While these investigators have now returned to their hideout in Indianapolis, their presence in Chapel Hill was intentionally notorious.

The result is that the NCAA, not unintentionally, has interfered with our coaching staff’s recruiting practices. Our Coach, Roy Williams, has recently publicly stated that, now, as a result of NCAA notoriety in Chapel Hill, he cannot even get a prospective recruit to visit our beautiful campus. This should not be! Moreover, rival coaches have taken advantage of the NCAA’s publicly known presence in Chapel Hill to defame the name of unc in stating that Coach Williams ‘has received the notice of allegations’ against unc, which he has not. Please see: http://chapelboro.com/columns/sports-noteb...e-show-goes-on/

The reach of this organization needs to be legislatively curtailed. Will you, together with Sen. Claire McCaskill, undertake to investigate and restrain the NCAA?

Thank you!

An OTL from last year. Stephen A. reams unx. His very last statement at the end of the vid is gold. GOLD! Enjoy....

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Chansky really is one more pathetic piece of tarhole garbage. Gawd , would ya look at all the salt aimed at the NCAA , Duke , UK....damn-near everyone EXCEPT the biggest cheaters in the history of collegiate athletics...

Art’s Angle: The Show Goes On

Losing Brandon Ingram is a tough blow for carolina basketball but certainly not a fatal one. That outcome is more in the hands of the NCAA, which has dragged out this investigation for so long that the Tar Heels have already suffered a de facto penalty of losing an entire recruiting year.

What could the NCAA be doing with all the time and material they have had since last summer? The only plausible answer is that the suits in Indianapolis are fighting over what their ruling on unc will look like for them. Since the Penn State fiasco and the lawsuits that watered down the Miami penalties, the NCAA’s own credibility has been greatly undermined. After all this time, if they merely slapped carolina on the wrist, the public’s reaction would be strong.

NCAA President Mark Emmert is on the record about the differences in the penalties given to Syracuse after that eight-year investigation and what might be forthcoming for unc. Syracuse’s violations go right back to the basketball office and coach Jim Boeheim, whose suspension for the first nine ACC games next season and a loss of 12 scholarships, plus other recruiting sanctions, are being appealed. carolina’s problems stem from an academic department that offered crip classes and easy grades to the general student body, 47 percent of the enrollments under review being athletes. Emmert has also said the NCAA should not be involved in how universities offer and teach their curricula.

Clearly, the NCAA has grown reluctant to penalize programs for violations committed by past teams. Boeheim got nailed, but his players are still eligible for the 2016 NCAA Tournament. In retrospect, self-imposing a post-season ban in 2015 might have been unnecessary for the Orange.

So what is the wait on carolina? The results will cause a hue and cry from somewhere, but that is only noise that eventually dies down. Are they scouring the Academic Progress Rate (APR) of Roy Williams’ program, which was near the bottom of the ACC in recent years? That’s a formula that is what it is and available on the NCAA website, and the baseline goes up every year for the metric that monitors eligibility and retention of athletes.

But there could be some debate over unc athletes who left school not in good academic standing and are returning to finish or make up classes. You remember that UConn and unc-Wilmington were banned from the 2013 NCAA Tournament because their APRs were below the designated levels of that time. Although Marcus Paige is the reigning Academic Athlete of the Year, he is only one on a roster of 13 over the last three years.

With the folksy Williams given to some hyperbole, there is no question that this season has been the hardest of his life. He has suffered personal losses of close friends and/or their children, helped nurse his wife Wanda through her own medical issues and absolutely bombed out on the recruiting trail he once owned. The speculation on carolina’s future, certainly not helped by rival coaches and the blogosphere, has cost ol’ Roy his top seven targets, some of whom would not even visit.

He was led to believe that the Notice of Allegations, which would have implicated or cleared carolina Basketball, was due in mid-April. He apparently told Ingram as much. But it still has not arrived and Athletic Director Bubba Cunningham says only, “The investigation is not complete.” Surely, Williams asked Ingram to wait a couple of more weeks before picking a school, but the kid from Kinston had already fallen for the Duke riches when all along he thought he would wear a different shade of blue.

Ingram’s words were right out of Mike Krzyzewski’s mouth. “Today, I created my own path,” he said after putting on the royal blue cap at a press conference in the Kinston gym. You can just hear Coach K feeding him that line. That is what the old Army captain who has become the brigadier general of his university (and pretty much all of basketball) did in forging his own path at the private school in Durham that answers to no one on anything.

As long as both teams are playing next season, the Blue Blood rivalry will be as fierce as ever. The Tar Heels return nine of their top 10 players and will have an improved Joel Berry and a fully recovered Theo Pinson (top 20 recruits in their own day) to fill the rotation that opened up for Ingram when J.P. Tokoto left the program.

What happens the following year is a big question for both programs.

As long as carolina doesn’t get sanctions that will keep the Tar Heels out of the NCAA Tournament, reloading a high profile college basketball program is easier than in football, where it takes most freshmen a year or two to make in-game contributions. Williams has a team capable of winning his third NCAA championship and then loses seniors Paige and Brice Johnson and maybe even sophomore Justin Jackson to the pros. But with the NCAA probe finally behind him, Williams could offer top recruits plenty of playing time, which they all want so they can showcase their skills for the NBA.

Duke signing the No. 1 recruiting class in the country for the second straight year guarantees nothing for next season and beyond. Chase Jeter is no Jahlil Okafor and Ingram will have to prove he can replace Justise Winslow, as will late signee Derryck Thornton vis-a-vis Tyus Jones. The Blue Devils will have two athletic wings in Grayson Allen and freshman Luke Kennard, but you don’t win national championships with those guys leading your team.

Duke, which has been lumped with Kentucky in recruiting one-and-dones, may actually go a season without losing an underclassman to the draft. carolina has a full, talented, experienced roster returning and, hopefully, freedom at last to start reloading for the 2016-17 season.

So the rivalry is safe for the short run, at least. And the first match-up of 2016 is in Chapel Hill. Ingram will get indoctrinated early.

http://chapelboro.com/columns/sports-notebook/arts-angle-the-show-goes-on/

Professor Wolf ‏@ProfessrWolf

A unc talking point is they initially had difficulty uncovering the length of the scandal because Crowder/Nyang'oro wouldn't cooperate. 1/2 uncover so much of the academic fraud without Crowder's cooperation? It's called data analysis 2/2

Jay Smith ‏@jaysmith711

@ProfessrWolf @paperclassinc We would have done the 'Smith/Willingham' report for free.

@jaysmith711 Where is the fun in that? As Bethel's followers have said, you & @paperclassinc are getting rich off an academic press book ;-)

Jay Smith ‏@jaysmith711

@ProfessrWolf @paperclassinc Oh indeed. But still not enough to afford one of the luxury boxes in the new Dean Dome.

@jaysmith711 @paperclassinc All you need is a good agent for the movie deal.

Jay Smith ‏@jaysmith711

@ProfessrWolf @paperclassinc Right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT