ADVERTISEMENT

The Blind Leading the Blind in Chapel Hill

Mark Gastineau

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Feb 26, 2009
What kind of message does this really send?

(1) UNC is deep in an investigation regarding institution-wide academic fraud, partly implicating the UNC Basketball team.

(2) Roy Williams maintains he had absolutely no idea what classes his players were taking or what their academic situations looked like (which I find totally unbelievable)

(3) The NCAA cites the men's team for impermissible benefits as a result of these fake classes

(4) UNC inexplicably gives Roy Williams a contract extension and a raise?

What am I missing here?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...sion-with-roy-williams-through-2020/28982781/

What kind of message does this really send?

(1) UNC is deep in an investigation regarding institution-wide academic fraud, partly implicating the UNC Basketball team.

(2) Roy Williams maintains he had absolutely no idea what classes his players were taking or what their academic situations looked like (which I find totally unbelievable)

(3) The NCAA cites the men's team for impermissible benefits as a result of these fake classes

(4) UNC inexplicably gives Roy Williams a contract extension and a raise?

What am I missing here?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...sion-with-roy-williams-through-2020/28982781/
I'm more concerned with the impermissible benefits situation of Matty and Amile hanging out with Tyus and Jah in LA. OOOOOHHHHH

The Carolina Way keeps on rolling

UNC%20CHEAT%20Flag%20at%20Old%20Well.gif

OFC

Cheat for most of your time at UNC - including winning two NCAA Championships while cheating. Sure, 'ol Huckleberry didn't know.

Have the worst three years in a row for UNC since the late forties early fifties.

Winning percentage has dropped to a .709 over the last 6 years and .694 over the last three seasons. That is good for only fifth place amongst ACC coaches.

The "Carolina Way" is alive and well as they give Roy a raise and contract extension in the midst of Academic Probation by SACS and one of the worst LOIC's in the history of the NCAA.

As a Carolina fan,not very happy right now. Hope we don't get probation, we will be lucky if we don't. Carolina needs to clean house right now.
Easily the most reasonable take on this situation I've seen to date from a Carolina fan. Kudos, RamHard, on looking at this situation objectively.

Anyone else find it amazing that they are essentially serving up women's basketball (a historically strong program with a national title under its belt) as a sacrificial lamb to deflect attention away from men's basketball?

Reactions: skysdad
Absolutely. Two or three players transferring, Latta left the coaching staff a few weeks earlier. They will bury the women's program to spare the men's as if they did nothing wrong. Pretty sickening actually.

Reactions: skysdad
As a Carolina fan,not very happy right now. Hope we don't get probation, we will be lucky if we don't. Carolina needs to clean house right now.

Probation is about all you'll get but all that crap that's being swept under the rug is still under the rug. The whole hing is a joke that will be an insult to other programs that cheated and had to pay the price. They like to say here in North Carolina that The University of North Carolina is the University of the people of North Carolina. It's not my university. Never was, never will be and if it ever had been I'd be ashamed. OFC.

Yeah, they are trying to throw women's bball and football under the bus to save the men's bball program. Total scumbags.

Not even that. They are going to make the women's wrestling team the scape goat by discontinuing the program. OFC

I just read where Tiger Woods was pretty upset that there was a "Cheater" banner flying over the US Open Golf Tournament in his honor and it was adversely affecting his play . Wouldn't it be great if the person responsible for flying the banner could lend it to the folks at the dean dome after the US Open.

How about Ol Roy's contract extension till the 2019-2020 season. Those guys are unreal....

Absolutely. Two or three players transferring, Latta left the coaching staff a few weeks earlier. They will bury the women's program to spare the men's as if they did nothing wrong. Pretty sickening actually.

Stephanie Mavunga bolted today. She follows DeShields , Washington , Gray and assistant coach Ivory Latta. That class was Sylvia's version of the "Fab 5." Gone. All of it. Hole fans just look around and say , "Yep. Too bad. They cheated and have to pay the price. We don't blame those girls for leaving. Tough break for the women's program but , ho hum , whatever." Unreal. A 20+ year cheating scam designed solely to benefit the ladies and Olympic sports. Is that it , holes? That's why all this got started? Gimme a break. I can already see the tire tracks on Hatchell's back. Fortunately for her , she'll be allowed to step down for "health/personal reasons" and take a nice fat pay-off with her. #carolinaway

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT