ADVERTISEMENT

Sulaimon to Maryland -- it's offcial....

Im with Show. Youre either all in or all out. Doesn't mean I want anything bad to happen to him. But it also doesn't mean I wont smile a little when he has a bad game or when, basketball gods willing, the Terps have a down year. Once hes not a Terp anymore then thats fine. Heck, I even found myself cheering for Grievous Vasquez a few times in the NBA playoffs, and I never though that would happen.

I have been frustrated to no end with Sheed for the last 2 years. I was almost glad he was dismissed and think the dismissal made our team better. Another great Coaching move by K I think. Though I really don't know if he had much of a choice in the matter. So with that said and with his decision to go to Maryland, I don't really care if he wins a game next year. After his freshman year I really thought he was going to be one of my all time favorites at Duke. And I still thought that after a very disappointing sophomore campaign. I just loved his game. I was very disappointed in the way he ended things at Duke and let his teammates down. However like a few others have said I do like how he has handled himself after the dismissal and he has left me with some great memories. I'm not pulling for UM and I really don't care if they do good or not but if Maryland does end up doing well and Sheed has a good year im not going to be mad at him. He did what was best for him

I have been frustrated to no end with Sheed for the last 2 years. I was almost glad he was dismissed and think the dismissal made our team better. Another great Coaching move by K I think. Though I really don't know if he had much of a choice in the matter. So with that said and with his decision to go to Maryland, I don't really care if he wins a game next year. After his freshman year I really thought he was going to be one of my all time favorites at Duke. And I still thought that after a very disappointing sophomore campaign. I just loved his game. I was very disappointed in the way he ended things at Duke and let his teammates down. However like a few others have said I do like how he has handled himself after the dismissal and he has left me with some great memories...
I agree, and will specify that the dismissal itself wasn't some magical cure-all; it was what K and the team (led by Quinn) did next that made the team better. It was a great coaching move b/c it had to be done and K did it w/o worrying about how the rest of the season would work out. He worried about that in its place, after the dismissal, and for keeping things in the right sequence, increased the likelihood of success.

As for K's choice, Sheed's recent (and first) public comments on this make me think the sexual assault allegation was not as big a factor and K's hand was not forced by politics.

I'm not pullin' for his ass. He let his team down, sure we won it all, but he wasn't on board with team goals. I wish him luck as a person but I pure hate the Terps, if they lost every game from now till eternity it would be fine by me. He's sleeping with the enemy now. Can't pull for him.
I hear you, but I feel a little bit like I did about Elliot Williams: winning the title made his departure just so much water under the bridge, and something I can very, very easily just let go of. W/ Sheed, the Maryland thing is really the only thing left that sticks in my craw.

I have a lot of respect for Rasheed. It's not easy for anyone to admit they were wrong, they made mistakes, they were stupid, they had an immature attitude; etc. There are billionaire CEOs that can't even admit they were wrong and made a mistake. The fact that he recognozes he was in the wrong and then publically admitted to his faults and is committed to becoming better, that's admirable, most adults can't even admit to their faults to their own family and friends let alone the rest of the world. I don't care about Maryland, this is the first time in over a decade they have been a contender

I hear you, but I feel a little bit like I did about Elliot Williams: winning the title made his departure just so much water under the bridge, and something I can very, very easily just let go of. W/ Sheed, the Maryland thing is really the only thing left that sticks in my craw.
Elliot Williams was a completely different situation. His mom was sick. I hated seeing him go, but that was totally understandable. Same thing happened with Brandon Connette in football this past season, and we missed him dearly.

Mark....that wasn't the sole reason Elliot left. His mom being sick played a part but there were other factors too. Duke, and specifically K, took the high road on his departure. Partly because both sides thought it was best for the other.

Back to Sheed. He made mistakes. He's also owned up to them and knows he was in the wrong. I think that says a lot about the 21-year-old. And as we all know things worked out fine for Duke. The least I can do is wish him well.

Reactions: pisgah101
I am most glad to hear that Sheed will graduate from Duke in August. A Duke degree! Kudos for him.

And, though I dislike Maryland, I'm glad they are not in the ACC if he is going there. Wish him the best.

He's going to a great team and they have a great shot at a national title. They were already viewed as a top 5 calibre team and with Sheed that elevates them.

His departure, imo, helped us come together and win the title (doubt Grayson would have gotten the minutes or developed as he did with 'Sheed still here).

But, though I know he had emotional challenges and was detrimental to the team, I still really liked him a great deal. Kids mature at different rates and over different times. Some don't "get it" until they are in their 30s.

I think K was right to dismiss him, but hopefully fans also are willing to understand and be supportive of 'Sheed as well.

I am also hopeful that over the course of time - 'Sheed will have a good relationship with Duke and K and the rest of the program. And hope he'll grow as a person through all this.

Unless we play Maryland, they truly are irrelevant to me after they left the ACC. I think it's a little funny that Sheed's going to MD -- in view of how much they normally hate everything Duke, but I really don't care at this point. Maryland isn't the enemy. The rivalry ended when they essentially conceded that they could never compete with the Duke / UNC hierarchy.

I am most glad to hear that Sheed will graduate from Duke in August. A Duke degree! Kudos for him.

And, though I dislike Maryland, I'm glad they are not in the ACC if he is going there. Wish him the best.

He's going to a great team and they have a great shot at a national title. They were already viewed as a top 5 calibre team and with Sheed that elevates them.

No, he's going to a team that has a great shot at the Final Four. Only one team can win the National Championship and next year that's spoken for. Duke's going back to back.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Thanks to all that reminded me sheed wad actually a Jr this past basketball season, duh.

Take away the Maryland thing, and lets all applaud Rasheed for taking such a huge disappointment in being cut from a team he loved and not quitting on himself. I think it is a rare 21 year old kid who gets kicked off his college team and stays and graduates from the same school. Motivated by the ability to play next year or not, that isn't an easy thing to do, especially from a place like Duke.

He could blow his ACL first game next year and still have the world on a string with that Duke degree he is expected to get in August. I'm very happy for him that he is accomplishing that, right now it seems small and just a step to play basketball again faster, but in reality that is the biggest news of all of this in terms of overall impact on his life moving forward.

With all that said, I hate Maryland, glad they're not in the ACC anymore and due to that fact I'll be able to root for Sheed more easily than if that were not the case.

Sidenote- This is a great case to refer to any time anyone says, "Well Duke bball players get preferential treatment compared to normal Duke students in the classroom and thats why they graduate a high percentage." or whatever variation the haters will throw out. If Duke bball players were only graduating due to preferential treatment, then there is no way Sheed graduates this August. A guy not only kicked off the team, and therefore no longer valuable to the bball program, but also with rumors of sexual assault hanging over his head is not a guy that continues to get the claimed easy road or preferential treatment at a university. This fact makes me even more proud of the graduation rate that got some publicity during the Final Four this year, and got critics using the line I quoted above.

Don't feel bad 2004Audi, I had a memory lapse as well and was thinking he had less eligibility left.

I wonder how many Maryland fans/bloggers are furiously backtracking on any comments made about Sheed and K from a few months ago.

I thought the same thing. I'm sure you could go to their message boards histories and pull some funny stuff (if you were a masochist).

I really like Sheed and wish him the best.

I really hate Maryland and wish their team, school, and scumbag fans nothing but the worst.

Quite the conundrum.

I like you too friend =)

I had nothing against Sulimon, course I hate Duke, but I love to hate Duke. Wouldn't be fun if I didn't respect Coach K at the same time disliking him for minor things.

Fear not we found someone far worse than a Duke fan and that is a PSU fan. Between the pedophile apologists, the snob like atttitude despite not being a eleite academic insitution like Duke, and the lack of any recent success on the field but acting as if they are Ohio State or Alabama in football, it really makes the Duke animosity seem far nicer in retrospect.

Everyone in the Big Ten I talk to hates PSU.

Last edited:
Mark....that wasn't the sole reason Elliot left. His mom being sick played a part but there were other factors too. Duke, and specifically K, took the high road on his departure. Partly because both sides thought it was best for the other.
Hmm, I wasn't aware of that at all. Unfortunate, but thanks for sharing.

I like you too friend =)

I had nothing against Sulimon, course I hate Duke, but I love to hate Duke. Wouldn't be fun if I didn't respect Coach K at the same time disliking him for minor things.

Fear not we found someone far worse than a Duke fan and that is a PSU fan. Between the pedophile apologists, the snob like atttitude despite not being a eleite academic insitution like Duke, and the lack of any recent success on the field but acting as if they are Ohio State or Alabama in football, it really makes the Duke animosity seem far nicer in retrospect.

How many times have you watched the "This is why Duke sucks" video?

Good post. Absolutely agree on the first bold. On the second, not only does that apply to him...it also kind of applies to me and other Duke fans complaining that it's Maryland specifically. I mean, in all reality, why should he honor the likes and dislikes of fandom within the fanbase of the team that dismissed him? Duke fans love that our 2 greatest PGs -- Bobby and JWill -- were UNC fans who were turned down there before deciding on Duke. That extra kick in the teeth makes it sweeter. We're on the receiving end of that kick w/ Sheed's choice of Maryland.

Yeah Maryland...that stings, but I have to think that kick-in-the-teeth was more of a secondary coincidence, then a primary factor. That's what I am choosing to believe.

Reactions: Dattier
Im with Show. Youre either all in or all out. Doesn't mean I want anything bad to happen to him. But it also doesn't mean I wont smile a little when he has a bad game or when, basketball gods willing, the Terps have a down year. Once hes not a Terp anymore then thats fine. Heck, I even found myself cheering for Grievous Vasquez a few times in the NBA playoffs, and I never though that would happen.
...well I can tell you I have not been afflicted with that condition....or I haven't drunk that much...

I like you too friend =)

You Terp fans still throwing batteries at opposing players and throwing bottles of water at their fans. Classy bunch you are. OFC

Reactions: dbav
Maryland hates Duke more than anything...then accepts a Duke player that was kicked off the team.

How many times have you watched the "This is why Duke sucks" video?

If the answer to that question is more than 0, and you are not a middle school student, then you have problems.

Last edited:
If the answer to that questions is more than 0, and you are not a middle school student, then you have problems.
I thought the video was pretty funny actually. The best part is, Maryland just keeps making themselves look bad with their displays of classlessness, so we don't need to make a video. Their student section there speaks for itself. It's like DC's version of the Jersey Shore.

Reactions: FearTheBeard
Good for sheed. Wish him well. Congrats o getting your degree and moving on. He is a young man, and young folks make mistakes.

Question for the board, does sheed get a championship ring?

Good for sheed. Wish him well. Congrats o getting your degree and moving on. He is a young man, and young folks make mistakes.

Question for the board, does sheed get a championship ring?
if you're asking if he gets one from us, the answer is no.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT