ADVERTISEMENT

Sulaimon to Maryland -- it's offcial....

I hope him the best next year, I would love to see Devils-Terps in Houston for the chip. Devils back to back of course.

Before Houston and the Final Four though, we're bound to see Sheed back in Durham for the ACC/Big 10 Challenge. I don't think there's any way to avoid it.

Best of luck to Sheed, really wish him nothing but the best. As much as i hate the Terps, i liked Sheed more and hope he gets everything straightened out and has a great final year. Always liked Sheed, just had to get out of his own way!

Before Houston and the Final Four though, we're bound to see Sheed back in Durham for the ACC/Big 10 Challenge. I don't think there's any way to avoid it.

Or maybe in College Park or at a neutral site like the Verizon Center. ;)

Anybody else see the glaring hypocrisy that is ESPN??? The question K's ethics for not cutting him earlier than he did, yet nothing written criticizing Maryland... I mean, I know I shouldn't expect better from them but still... It was headline news for days with talk of K's legacy being tainted... smh

I wish him well but I'm not going to lie, to my friend who's a Maryland fan I'm totally going to paint this situation as 'Man, this is what it's come to huh? You guys taking our cast-offs...sad man, sad..."

Reactions: DukeOrDie
We've since learned that Rasheed's dismissal wasn't predicated on alleged charges. He had some other things going on. I refuse to paint a broad picture of Rasheed because from all reports he lived everything Duke. It just didn't work out.

Meanwhile, I'm happy for him moving forward. I think Maryland really makes sense for him. He's had a chance to play for some really good Duke teams and he recognizes that the Terps give him an opportunity to do something special next season. I'm not a Terps fan but I'll be pulling for Rasheed. Best of luck.

We've since learned that Rasheed's dismissal wasn't predicated on alleged charges. He had some other things going on. I refuse to paint a broad picture of Rasheed because from all reports he lived everything Duke. It just didn't work out.

Meanwhile, I'm happy for him moving forward. I think Maryland really makes sense for him. He's had a chance to play for some really good Duke teams and he recognizes that the Terps give him an opportunity to do something special next season. I'm not a Terps fan but I'll be pulling for Rasheed. Best of luck.

I agree....I will extend it slightly further...

I really hope that Rasheed has an _excellent_ season. When I see a Maryland box score -- I will be checking for Rasheed's stats. Rooting for Maryland? Oh heck no, rooting for Rasheed sure.

This almost feels like Fantasy League -- not rooting for any team, just the players. I will be doing the same for Semi.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Oh well, he's probably doing what's best for him. It would be very awkward if we met, despite outward showings of respect by everyone involved.. I don't think Suli would fare so well guarding Grayson or Thornton.

Is he going to start at the 2 alongside Trimble?

Everything that we've heard on our end points to Terps at Carolina, FWIW

Actually, since Maryland and North Carolina are both probably going to be in the top 5 nationally, that should be the ACC/Big Ten match-up.
Unless someone wants to stir the pot (which wouldn't surprise me), Duke would probably end up with Michigan State. Just guessin'.
Go Duke!!

JC-OFC

Wow, most of you guys are more charitable about this than I am. He is now close to Jason Capel level villain for me now.

agree with dattier and johnston don't hope he finds success next year and hopefully ruins maryland's chemistry with his need for the ball and inefficient finishing...can't root for a team that cud threaten us for a title (though i think their coach isnt good enough to lead them even if sheed does well)

I really like Sheed and wish him the best.

I really hate Maryland and wish their team, school, and scumbag fans nothing but the worst.

Quite the conundrum.

I'll clarify that I was a huge critic of his behavior throughout his time at Duke (soph year, mainly), but was very sad he was dismissed. I trust K on that, but I'm really sorry it came to that. And Sheed has been nothing but class since.

If he was going to Baylor, or Georgetown, or Florida, I'd wish him well (enough). Maryland, though? Geez.

I thought Sheed handled everything with class. He never lashed it at Duke, K or the fans. In fact, he openly cheered on his former teammates. I'd like to think I would have handled it as well as him, but I'm not sure I would have. I'll never cheer for Maryland....but I'll cheer for Sheed. Especially if they play the Heels.

So how does this work from an eligibility standpoint? Since he was dismissed halfway through the season does he lose any eligibility or is he available for the entire year? I forget when he was dismissed, but it was after Notre dame which was a few games into acc season. Just curious if anyone knows the rules and why he would be eligible for the entire year? With all that said I agree with all who say he handled all of this in a mature manner. I will pull for sheed, but no way in hell I pull for the twerps.

I believe that because he will graduate he will have 1 year and can play right away.

I believe that because he will graduate he will have 1 year and can play right away.
Yeah, he's covered by the grad school transfer rule, since he has remained in classes at Duke and is scheduled to graduate in August.

I do wonder, though, how the NCAA would have handled it otherwise. I mean, K got Kris Humphries out of his LoI by saying he was denied admission to the basketball program. That's how Humphries was able to play at Minnesota immediately. I would think being kicked off the team might have worked out the same way for Sheed, had the grad transfer route not been applicable.

I guess what I'm asking is this. Sheed played his fr, soph, and junior year at duke. Then he played half of his senior season. By getting an entire year next year he technically gets to play for 4.5 years. I don't understand why he doesn't have to sit a semester, thus giving him 4 years of playing basketbal.

That's a good point 2004Audi. He should only have half a year of eligibility left since he played the first half of this past season, so if that's the case then I'd think he wouldn't be able to play until the second semester starts.

I guess what I'm asking is this. Sheed played his fr, soph, and junior year at duke. Then he played half of his senior season. By getting an entire year next year he technically gets to play for 4.5 years. I don't understand why he doesn't have to sit a semester, thus giving him 4 years of playing basketbal.

Rasheed came to Duke in the same year as Amile. He is just graduating early.

I'll clarify that I was a huge critic of his behavior throughout his time at Duke (soph year, mainly), but was very sad he was dismissed. I trust K on that, but I'm really sorry it came to that. And Sheed has been nothing but class since.

If he was going to Baylor, or Georgetown, or Florida, I'd wish him well (enough). Maryland, though? Geez.
Dattier, I understand your POV. Rasheed is going to a place where 1. He thinks he'll get some PT 2. On a squad that is positioned to do well 3. With a staff that he has had some history with. He has one more year and he is trying to maximize his opportunity to go to the next level. It is about the smartest move that I have seen him make.

My opinion of Rasheed has gone up since his dismissal -- I have been impressed with the way that he is handling himself. I am pretty sure he feels responsible for the situation

To quote Eddie Murphy, "...you brought that sh!t upon yourself..."

Reactions: Dattier

Rasheed played his freshman season in 2012-13, his sophomore season in 2013-14, and his junior season in 2014-15. He was a junior at Duke this past season. Because he came in early/prior to his freshman season for summer class and continued that in 2013, 2014 and this summer he's able to accelerate his graduation. He has a full year of eligibility left.

I'm not pullin' for his ass. He let his team down, sure we won it all, but he wasn't on board with team goals. I wish him luck as a person but I pure hate the Terps, if they lost every game from now till eternity it would be fine by me. He's sleeping with the enemy now. Can't pull for him.

I like Sheed. He bled Duke Blue while he played for the Devils. And I agree with Show that he let the team down (and himself). I think he let his competitiveness get the best of him. But we've all made mistakes, especially at his age. And as others have stated, Sheed has conducted himself well during the aftermath. I'll not wish Maryland well, but I'm pulling for Sheed to personally play well...and perhaps work himself back up into a 1st round draft pick (if possible). Even more importantly, I hope he's got his life back together. Good luck.

Transfer-Mation...we'll see if that results in a transformation.

Rasheed%20Sulaimon%20Transfer-Mation2%20gif.gif

OFC

Dattier, I understand your POV. Rasheed is going to a place where 1. He thinks he'll get some PT 2. On a squad that is positioned to do well 3. With a staff that he has had some history with. He has one more year and he is trying to maximize his opportunity to go to the next level. It is about the smartest move that I have seen him make.

My opinion of Rasheed has gone up since his dismissal -- I have been impressed with the way that he is handling himself. I am pretty sure he feels responsible for the situation

To quote Eddie Murphy, "...you brought that sh!t upon yourself..."
Good post. Absolutely agree on the first bold. On the second, not only does that apply to him...it also kind of applies to me and other Duke fans complaining that it's Maryland specifically. I mean, in all reality, why should he honor the likes and dislikes of fandom within the fanbase of the team that dismissed him? Duke fans love that our 2 greatest PGs -- Bobby and JWill -- were UNC fans who were turned down there before deciding on Duke. That extra kick in the teeth makes it sweeter. We're on the receiving end of that kick w/ Sheed's choice of Maryland.

Reactions: LTDukeFan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT