ADVERTISEMENT

So is Duke 2000-01 the best team since 1984-85?

kwyjibos13

All American
Nov 24, 2012
So what if sports set up a round-robin tournament where every tourney winner since 'Nova 85 until now played each other. The 2001 national championship Blue Devils had the best winning percentage...

Best?
This post was edited on 4/19 11:22 PM by kwyjibos13

Originally posted by kwyjibos13:
So what if sports set up a round-robin tournament where every tourney winner since 'Nova 85 until now played each other. The 2001 national championship Blue Devils had the best winning percentage...

Best?
This post was edited on 4/19 11:22 PM by kwyjibos13
That team is great with 5 players who were NBA ready, but I'd put 91-92 above them. Bit biased there. But, really, the '01 team just marched through the tourney with only Maryland giving them a tough game.

I'd put 00-01 in the top 5. '91-92 Duke, '89-90 UNLV (I'd probably put this team or 92 Duke #1), '95-96 UK, would also be there. I don't think any of the UNC teams would beat either of the Duke teams. The UF team should be higher as well. 2 time champions and some serious front line talent on that team. Maybe #5 for them.

Probably a bit biased for 92 Duke over 90 UNLV but ... my top 5:

1. 91-92 Duke.
2. 89-90 UNLV.
3. 00-01 Duke.
4. 06-07 UF.
5. 95-96 UK.

I would put the 1999 team as the best. I think they only lost 2 games that whole season by a total of 3 points. I know they lost the title game (which really stings) but they were averaging something like a near-20-point game spread when they'd beat their opponents.

the 66 team was as good as any team we have ever had.All five players played professionally with three of them playing in an All Star game. Bobby Verga does not get sick and we win the Natty

Originally posted by DFerryFan:
I would put the 1999 team as the best. I think they only lost 2 games that whole season by a total of 3 points. I know they lost the title game (which really stings) but they were averaging something like a near-20-point game spread when they'd beat their opponents.
That team lost to UCONN by 3 points alone. I think the grand total was 5 all season. It was 6 for the 1992 Duke team that actually won a title. 1992 was the best IMO. Hurley was better than Avery. A sophomore Grant Hill was better than a sophomore Battier. I would also give the edge to Laettner over Brand in the college game.

Reactions: Wojoman
Yea, 92' was the best I think. But not by much. That 2000-2001 season was probably my second favorite season ever. Heck it would be top 3 or 4 simply for the Maryland games.

That team lost to UCONN by 3 points alone. I think the grand total was 5 all season. It was 6 for the 1992 Duke team that actually won a title. 1992 was the best IMO. Hurley was better than Avery. A sophomore Grant Hill was better than a sophomore Battier. I would also give the edge to Laettner over Brand in the college game.

Wow, that's pretty amazing, I never realized that for the 92 team. Although the 99 team, with the exception of their 2 losses, they only had about 4 close games I believe (I'm counting close games as winning by less than 10 points). But you're right, Bobby Hurley would definitely own it. If this 2015 team proves anything it's that having an awesome PG will win you games in the tournament.

Here's an interesting stat about that 1999 team: They played Michigan St twice that year (and beat them twice of course), once at the beginning of the season (12/2/98) and again in the final four. I guess Izzo still hasn't figure out how to beat Coach K.

That team was outstanding, but just as a general rule, I don't think you can be in the conversation if you don't close the deal. For better or for worse.

Reactions: mbdfan

I vote this...I know we didn't win it all, but I still think the '91 UNLV team and the '99 Duke team are the two best teams to have never won a championship. At least in my life time...

And just FYI - Duke lost by a total of five. Lost the NC 77-74 to UCONN and the Great Alaska Shootout Championship 77-75 to Cincinnati.

Last edited:
1980-1999
2000-present

Sets up '92 vs '01

1999, I felt Jay and Duhon were better Point Guards than Avery. Older vs young Battier. Dunleavy's outside shooting made our offense one of the most explosive Post 2000 in CBB.

I vote this...I know we didn't win it all, but I still think the '91 UNLV team and the '99 Duke team are the two best teams to have never won a championship. At least in my life time...

And just FYI - Duke lost by a total of five. Lost the NC 77-74 to UCONN and the Great Alaska Shootout Championship 77-75 to Cincinnati.

It's a list of best title teams not just best NCAA tourney teams.

But, I think that '99 Duke team, while very dominant, had some weaknesses on the perimeter that were exposed by UCONN. Didn't have as much defensive quickness out there except Battier who was still young and growing as a player. Langdon was a great offensive player but struggled on defense and was unable to come through in the clutch. That, to me, is what differentiates the '92 team (they never panicked in tight situations - Laettner had been in so many he just knew how to handle it).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT