ADVERTISEMENT

Shot clock is going to 30.

pretty good. dont understand waiving of closely-guarded rule
I suppose their trying to give guards more space to operate by not encouraging tight defense... which I agree is dumb.

Each change outlined here seems minor on its own, but the sum of this many rule changes all at once is overkill IMO.

Scoring is going way up. Shot blocking and athleticism is going to matter more.

I'm all in for the 30 second shot clock. 24 seconds is ok with me. To me the longer you hold the ball the greater the chances are for a turn over unless you can have a guy like Phil Ford handling the ball and scoring himself or making sure we get a good shot off. I know I'm a minority in this and am ready for the rebuttals. OFC

I'm ok going to a 30-second shot clock. I've never been in favor of 24 seconds. The 35 seconds was never a huge deal to me either, but I understand the premise and why the NCAA thought a change needed to be made. This could, IMO, be a big advantage to more talented teams. More possessions results in fewer upsets.

Reactions: d--1
I'm ok going to a 30-second shot clock. I've never been in favor of 24 seconds. The 35 seconds was never a huge deal to me either, but I understand the premise and why the NCAA thought a change needed to be made. This could, IMO, be a big advantage to more talented teams. More possessions results in fewer upsets.
30 seconds is a good start, i'd be fine with 24. It absolutely favors (and it should) the better teams. Rules shouldn't be in place to keep lesser teams in the game- games are meant to reward the team that plays the best (usually that is the team with the the most talented players). Rules arent made so that it can allow lesser teams to hang around and then win. I think this is a good start. I would have liked to see them keep the 5 second close guard rule, but I understand why they did away with it.

Do we still have the funny things THR says thread going? A few of them making some great comments on how some of the new rule changes were a direct result to Duke getting all of the calls. Can't make it up, the whining never stops! Great to be on top.

Concise summary of changes:

-30 second shot clock
-Only 3 of your 5 timeouts carry over to second half, and you may be assessed technical foul more readily if you lollygag after a timeout.
-No extra media timeout if there’s a regular timeout called within 30 seconds of that timepoint.
-Coach can’t call timeout during live play.
-Reducing the amount of time allotted to replace a disqualified player from 20 to 15 seconds.
-Restricted-area arc from 3 feet to 4 feet.
-Officials to penalize players who fake fouls.
-shot clock violations on made field goals reviewable throughout the entire game.
-Lesser technical fouls (hanging on the rim and delaying the resumption of play) are now one-shot penalties.
-Eliminating the five-second ‘closely guarded’ rule while dribbling the ball.
-Can now dunk in pregame warm-ups and at halftime (as opposed to throwing it through)

Also, potentially going to 6 foul limit in 2016-17

Thanks for the summary DukeDenver. I am looking forward to seeing whether the 5 second shot clock reduction will make any noticeable difference. My guess it will not. Teams that play fast will still play fast and vice versa. Even the NBA with its 24 second shot clock can be painful to watch at times with all the isolation plays.

Not really a fan of the 30 second clock. Sure, I like a fast game and fast plays. But I also like variety on offense and defense and a shorter clock forces teams to play more like each other. If you are just watching to enjoy seeing athleticism, it's probably good. But if you enjoy seeing the strategy unfold, there will be 5 seconds less of unfolding.

For teams that can't recruit the fastest players, it will be harder to compete. For teams that have traditionally favored the fastest players, there will be more recruiting competition.

Teams that already play fast may think this will be good for them, but once other schools are playing at the same speed, and recruiting the same players, will that really be true?

For example, traditional high-tempo schools like UNC probably win a couple of games a year because the teams they face simply aren't accustomed to that pace. But if everybody is playing at that pace, everybody will be better at it.

That said, 30 seconds is still plenty of time. I look forward to seeing how teams like UVa adapt. Will the pressure on the offense work to the advantage or disadvantage of a tough defensive squad? If beating UVa depends on breaking an offensive player loose, you have less time to do it. Whereas UVa players have to bear down for a shorter stretch at a time. Ditto when K gets one of his traditionally good defensive teams.

Reactions: ioliva
Concise summary of changes:

-30 second shot clock
-Only 3 of your 5 timeouts carry over to second half, and you may be assessed technical foul more readily if you lollygag after a timeout.
-No extra media timeout if there’s a regular timeout called within 30 seconds of that timepoint.
-Coach can’t call timeout during live play.
-Reducing the amount of time allotted to replace a disqualified player from 20 to 15 seconds.
-Restricted-area arc from 3 feet to 4 feet.
-Officials to penalize players who fake fouls.
-shot clock violations on made field goals reviewable throughout the entire game.
-Lesser technical fouls (hanging on the rim and delaying the resumption of play) are now one-shot penalties.
-Eliminating the five-second ‘closely guarded’ rule while dribbling the ball.
-Can now dunk in pregame warm-ups and at halftime (as opposed to throwing it through)

Also, potentially going to 6 foul limit in 2016-17
Really wish they could do something to stop fouling in the last couple of minutes. Also, wish they would make a rule that a team cannot call timeout if they do not possess the ball. This means that once the ball goes through the net or out of bounds, it is no longer your ball. This would end the practice of calling timeout after a foul shot , basket, or missed shot if it goes out of bounds. It would also end the practice of calling timeout when the other team is on the foul line. If we ever get this in basketball, then can we make a rule in football that the defense cannot call timeout after the offense breaks the huddle.This would end the practice of wasting 10 mins trying to ice the kicker. Good lord ,Saban would go into a rant that would last all season. He doesn't even like no huddle because he can't change his defense after every play. Add Fisher to that list.

Reactions: skysdad
Really wish they could do something to stop fouling in the last couple of minutes. Also, wish they would make a rule that a team cannot call timeout if they do not possess the ball. This means that once the ball goes through the net or out of bounds, it is no longer your ball. This would end the practice of calling timeout after a foul shot , basket, or missed shot if it goes out of bounds. It would also end the practice of calling timeout when the other team is on the foul line. If we ever get this in basketball, then can we make a rule in football that the defense cannot call timeout after the offense breaks the huddle.This would end the practice of wasting 10 mins trying to ice the kicker. Good lord ,Saban would go into a rant that would last all season. He doesn't even like no huddle because he can't change his defense after every play. Add Fisher to that list.

Seems to me hat many years ago in the NBA after a certain amount of fouls were committed the team getting fouled would have the opportunity of shooting 3 free throws to make two free throws. That is if the first two were made then no more free throws were taken . Can anyone clarify this or am I in my own twilight zone? Could this be possible the last two minutes? OFC

I heard the women's game is moving to 4 quarters instead of 2 halves. I suspect in time that change will come to the men's game eventually, though not any time in the near future. And I would have preferred a 24 sec clock, but 30 is progress.

I wish there was a way to address the end of game situation where the losing team intentionally fouls possession after possession, dragging out the game needlessly. Hard to give officials subjectivity when making a call, but under 2:00 mark, maybe they could get some latitude to call those differently than just a regular foul.

I would like to see a change (or at least an experiment) that lets the fouled team choose whether to shoot the FTs or get the ball out of bounds.

This rule change inadvertently makes Roy a better coach. By percentage, his players will now be wasting less of the shot clock on all of their awful, quick-shot possessions.

I feel like he must have lobbied hard for this.

Reactions: skysdad
I would like to see a change (or at least an experiment) that lets the fouled team choose whether to shoot the FTs or get the ball out of bounds.
Yes, but it would have to have other penalties at some point. Otherwise, the team on defense would continue to foul just to stop the clock. The other team would continue to have to bring the ball back into play which can be dangerous in itself. Either way , the offense gets penalized. A 3 shot penalty might help slow down the fouling.

I wish they kept the 5 second call. I understand trying to promote more offense but I am so sick of sports trying to murder defense just to make it happen. Offense can be promoted without compromising defense, despite what many people think.

I do think some of these are great changes however.

I wish they kept the 5 second call. I understand trying to promote more offense but I am so sick of sports trying to murder defense just to make it happen. Offense can be promoted without compromising defense, despite what many people think.
What was the reason for dumping the 5-second call? Were the refs inconsistent about it?

One I wish they would dump is the 10-second call to get the ball into the forecourt. In fact, get rid of the half court line and let them use the whole court for the full 30 seconds. Imagine what Dean Smith would have done with that! I know, I know, it will never happen. But it could be fun.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT