ADVERTISEMENT

Phil Jackson a Duke Hater?

I'm more than fine with our players living up to expectations while they are in school. Everything else is gravy from a college basketball standpoint. If anything, I think the longevity many of our guys have had in the league should be the most appealing thing in this kind of discussion. I doubt when JJ Redick retires with over $100 million earned over the course of his career he's going to think he was a disappointment.

I agree with what ur saying and thats how we look at it. He's looking at it as an employer who pays our guys and obviously has his own opinion. I just think its a total jab at Coach K and saying he doesnt develop his players which is total BS. But like u said some of those guys have serious longevity in the league and have been very good players. That goes a long way.

I agree with what ur saying and thats how we look at it. He's looking at it as an employer who pays our guys and obviously has his own opinion. I just think its a total jab at Coach K and saying he doesnt develop his players which is total BS. But like u said some of those guys have serious longevity in the league and have been very good players. That goes a long way.
I also think he's trying to cover his tracks for when the inevitable happens and Justise Winslow's turns into a star and Porzingis doesn't live up to the hype.

lol Ed Davis and Brandon right lived up to expectations? Hilarious. Tyler lived up to expectations? John Henson?.. I didn't even know he was still in the league

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
I think its just an opinion, I wouldn't read too much into it. If he's not into the talent that comes out of Durham, that's his call. as the article seems to try to show, its about a 50/50 shot. Though I don't see how Dunleavy is considered a disappointment. Maybe b/c he was #3, and never put up Superstar stats. Then again, I'd also argue that Singler is a disappointment, only in the sense that he was a top HS recruit who did great in college, but his game just didn't translate in the pros all that well. For a #33 pick he's doing fine, though. Very subjective.

I just think it was one of the stupidest thing I've ever heard especially coming from who most people think he's an intelligent man. He most have a thing against Coach K and Duke. A lot of sports guys are calling him out. Most Duke players have exceeded or met expectations.Wonder how many NBA championships he would have won without Jordan, Pippen, Bryant and O'Neil. He's doing a great job of finding talent for the Knicks. OFC

I'm more than fine with our players living up to expectations while they are in school. Everything else is gravy from a college basketball standpoint. If anything, I think the longevity many of our guys have had in the league should be the most appealing thing in this kind of discussion. I doubt when JJ Redick retires with over $100 million earned over the course of his career he's going to think he was a disappointment.

Yes, same to be said for Mike Dunleavy, who was coveted by LeBron this offseason. You get few, if any, better league endorsements than that.

In any case, if you were to somehow formulate a way to measure what "meeting expectations" actually means you'd see similar, if not worse, trends for every school in college basketball. Only so many guys are talented enough and wired correctly to be stars professionally.

So that I get this. Coach K has these kids for about what let's say six months total to where he actually works with them while they are at Duke?

If these kids go one and done and don't pan out how is that K's fault?

NBA head personnel sign them to the contracts and its up to the kids what they do. Who has Phil recruited and then coached for one year that has made it? These are two different areas of coaching and for him to make that statement means to me he is reaching for anything to write the ship when Knicks fans get upset with him.

I think I found out why Phil said that nonsense. He's trying to strike back at Coach K for an article that came out in Early July. Coach K didn't think that the 'Triangle' was the reason Jackson was successful, but MJ & Kobe. Here's the 'juicy' portion from the article linked below:

"The triangle didn't win crap!" he (Coach K) told the NYT. "Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant! Whatever offense I run, that offense didn't do it. Winning means you had the caliber of players capable of winning a championship."

Coach K then went on to say that he has "nothing against the triangle." But he also said that while it's a solid offense, "it's a lot better if Jordan loves it or Kobe loves it."

Oh, and as if that wasn't depressing enough for all the Knicks fans out there, he also stated the obvious. "The triangle's not working in New York, by the way," he said.

And I'm adding in my pic of Phil (from another thread). I don't pay any attention to Phil, he has enough trouble finding his own shadow. Of course he is well thought of over at THR, and at Gobbler's Knob.:D

Punxsutawney%20Phil%20Jackson%20UNC%20THR.jpg

Here's the link to the article about Coach K commenting on the Triangle offense.
http://www.complex.com/sports/2015/07/mike-krzyzewski-says-phil-jackson-offense-only-effective-because-michael-jordan-kobe-Bryant

OFC

Phil has a little axe to grind it seems. The facts obviously don't bear him out, and the only people in agreement are people that dislike Duke and would believe anything negative said about them, no matter how ridiculous. I also think Phil is getting sensitive about the heat he is taking from Knicks faithful, particularly about drafting Porzingis.

Reactions: skysdad
I think Phil and Bill (Walton) ate too many mushrooms during their last trip to Burning Man.

The Knicks would immediately be a better team by adding any of the following:
Kyrie Irving
Luol Deng
Carlos Boozer
JJ Redick
Jabari Parker
Jahlil Okafor
Mike Dunleavy
Justise Winslow

and probably quite a few more that I'm forgetting. Hell, a retired Grant Hill or Shane Battier would make the Knicks better.

The Knicks would immediately be a better team by adding any of the following:
Kyrie Irving
Luol Deng
Carlos Boozer
JJ Redick
Jabari Parker
Jahlil Okafor
Mike Dunleavy
Justise Winslow

and probably quite a few more that I'm forgetting. Hell, a retired Grant Hill or Shane Battier would make the Knicks better.

I'd add Rodney Hood, Gerald Henderson and Josh McRoberts to that list.

This team would win a whole lot more games than the present Knick team and with a little man a good run into the playoffs. If kept intact and by adding a couple more Dukies as some of the older players retire and give some of the younger guys to get some seasoning behind them old Phil could have himself another ring. OFC

Jim just a question I've been wanting to ask you if you don't mind answering. Do you know sports writer Gary McCann? He's from my home town and a big UNC fan. His older brother is a big Duke fan and had a lot of influence along with my father in becoming a Duke fan. I do like Gary. Always thought he is a good writer and was always fair to Duke. OFC

Jim just a question I've been wanting to ask you if you don't mind answering. Do you know sports writer Gary McCann? He's from my home town and a big UNC fan. His older brother is a big Duke fan and had a lot of influence along with my father in becoming a Duke fan. I do like Gary. Always thought he is a good writer and was always fair to Duke. OFC

Don't know him well.

Reactions: skysdad
To be fair, there should at least be an asterisks by Jason Williams name. I mean he was shaping up to be a star until he got in that wreck. But this is such a stupid argument anyway. Phil's got what he deserves…the Knicks. Instead, there really should be discussion on how all the white big ten players don't live up to expectations for the Hornets.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT