ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Timberwolves or Lakers

Moot point, IMO...he makes little sense on Minny with Pek there. He'll be a Laker. Even though I hate the Lakers, it's the better situation for him.

Reactions: TrillBlue
I'm sort of annoyed, haha. I don't watch the NBA but was sort of hoping the Knicks would draft him to give me a reason to watch. Oh well.

I want him at the place that he'll fit in best...and I'm not familiar enough with the rosters on either club to pick one. I imagine DJ might like to see Jah play for the 'Wolves.

OFC

Lakers just cuz it's the lakers haha. Where will Justice go? I was hoping either Charlotte or the Pacers but I highly doubt he falls to either.

Reactions: carlsondevil
Moot point, IMO...he makes little sense on Minny with Pek there. He'll be a Laker. Even though I hate the Lakers, it's the better situation for him.

Hogwash. Pek is irrelevant. He's a mid-tier center in the NBA.

I don't think it's it a question, and my source in the Minneapolis media tells me Flip is quite enamored with Jah. I sure hope so. That makes it sounds like I'm a Duke homer, but I think this pick is common sense for the Wolves. Towns will be a good NBA player....but Okafor's ceiling is much higher. But I'm prepared to be disappointed because I'm a long-suffering Wolves fan.

And ODD....you couldn't be more right. If I haven't made my opinion clear I don't think I ever could. This is a no-brainer for the Wolves.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
I've heard that if the Timberwolves do draft Towns and the Lakers get Jah that they might make some kind of trade where they'd give up 2 of their picks to also draft Tyus somewhere in the early to mid 20's. Wouldn't it be something if Jah and Tyus went from playing AAU ball together then to playing college ball together and then to playing in the NBA together.

Reactions: Mark Gastineau

I don't think it's it a question, and my source in the Minneapolis media tells me Flip is quite enamored with Jah. I sure hope so. That makes it sounds like I'm a Duke homer, but I think this pick is common sense for the Wolves. Towns will be a good NBA player....but Okafor's ceiling is much higher. But I'm prepared to be disappointed because I'm a long-suffering Wolves fan.

And ODD....you couldn't be more right. If I haven't made my opinion clear I don't think I ever could. This is a no-brainer for the Wolves.

I couldn't agree more, DJ. I've said it before, any team that passes on Jah will regret it imo. To paraphrase Liam Neeson in Taken:

Jahlil%20Okafor%20Taken.jpg

OFC

Either way, I look forward to Jahlil laying a whooping on Towns for the next 10-15 years. Both Minnesota and LA are intriguing landing places to me; I guess I'll give the T-Wolves the slight edge because of Wiggins and some of the other pieces. Randle and Jahlil would be a lot of fun to watch as well.

absolutely DJ. Plus Pek is hurt more that he is healthy. He cant even play 2 games in a row without his ankles flaring up on him. I think it is pretty neat though that the T-Wolves will have the last 3 number 1 draft picks playing for them next year.

I think Minnesota could be very good in the next few years.

I've heard that if the Timberwolves do draft Towns and the Lakers get Jah that they might make some kind of trade where they'd give up 2 of their picks to also draft Tyus somewhere in the early to mid 20's. Wouldn't it be something if Jah and Tyus went from playing AAU ball together then to playing college ball together and then to playing in the NBA together.

Not positive they played AAU ball together. I thought Tyus played for Howard Pulley out of Minnesota....they did play on Team USA together though.

Towns will be a good NBA player....but Okafor's ceiling is much higher. But I'm prepared to be disappointed because I'm a long-suffering Wolves fan.

Are you sure? I heard that Towns was the future face of the American Olympic team from the main board :rolleyes: Seriously though I just can't understand how there are people out there that just blatantly ignore what kind of ceiling okafor has. It's almost as if Okafor has no room to grow and I just don't see it like that

Last edited:
Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
I guess it depends on how you look at it. Minnesota has a great young core of guys much like Milwaukee last year, and may see the lottery one more year after this one, so they could end up making some noise in the next year or two, LA has a few pieces but is a bigger free agent draw that could bring in a free agent in the near future. Right now I'd rather play in Minnesota and bring in Tyus and have a huge home base cheering for me.

Minn. just because dukiejay lives there and they need something to get excited about. I would imagine they will gt a good pick next year and should start contending. OFC

Not positive they played AAU ball together. I thought Tyus played for Howard Pulley out of Minnesota....they did play on Team USA together though.

I might've been wrong about them playing AAU ball together but I thought they did because it's been stated that they've been friends since like the third grade, maybe it was Team USA and I was mixed up

Minn. just because dukiejay lives there and they need something to get excited about. I would imagine they will gt a good pick next year and should start contending. OFC

Thanks skysdad. I appreciate the support.

It's not that I can't get behind picking Towns. He's a great prospect and I think has a bright future ahead of him. But Okafor has those rare back-to-the-basket skills in today's game. When I combine that with his physical maturity, hands, footwork and his ability to pass out of the double team I think Okafor has the ***potential*** to be an offensive force. But I'm hardly saying he doesn't have areas to make huge strides in.

And I wouldn't be surprised to see the Wolves try and make a deal to snag Tyus if they do, in fact, take Okafor with the #1 pick.

Here is something that I saw on espn.com
-->http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2015/st...afor-says-being-no-1-pick-nba-draft-more-fans

Not to bust DJ's bubble, but I am thinking Jah would probably like to be in LA. That said, he clearly care about going where he thinks he is needed and where he can be effective.

I really resent when a kid that young sounds so much more mature than I did at that age. Jeez -- it's really embarrassing ;)

And I wouldn't be surprised to see the Wolves try and make a deal to snag Tyus if they do, in fact, take Okafor with the #1 pick.[/QUOTE]

I've heard that if Jah to the Lakers then they might trade some of their picks to also draft Tyus late in the first round.

I'm not so sure. One of his childhood idols is KG. Playing alongside him for a season or two would be pretty special. Plus, KG will be a part owner of the Wolves down the line. In addition, Jah is from the Midwest. And if the Wolves do, in fact, look to swing a deal that could bring Tyus back to Minnesota it would give him the opportunity to play with his best friend. Lastly, Andrew Wiggins is going to be a star. The building blocks to be good would be there and that makes it more attractive to veteran players wanting to be a part of something that could be special.

I'm not so sure. One of his childhood idols is KG. Playing alongside him for a season or two would be pretty special. Plus, KG will be a part owner of the Wolves down the line. In addition, Jah is from the Midwest. ....

I understand DJ -- Of course, I was born in the Midwest, grew up in Texas, currently live in Texas....but would prefer to live in North Carolina.

I think a young kid would really like to be in LA over Minn....just saying. Of course, I have already pointed out that he is showing a lot of wisdom for his age.

At his age I'd wanna play in LA over Minnesota and scope that scene and have that weather. The downsides would be added media pressure, Kobe's pathetic contract and the dense population. The good thing is, Jah won't have to decide anything, the teams will do that. I'd not draft Towns first myself, but it would be a pretty great pick too.

I hope Winslow goes 4th to the Knicks or 5th to the Magic. Picks 6-9 are for teams that have no future. This is a good draft, plenty of value in the late first round.

I'm s hornets fan and would love to see is land Winslow. Doubt Jordan gets dumb and goes for Tokoto.

Jah to LA makes since and there's kobe to kick out to and Kelly is still there with Boozer and if they did trade to pick Tyus. It would be Great to see three Duke players starting for an NBA team

I want Jah to go to Minny b/c 1st is 1st. As far as the other side goes, I'd rather be the Lakers b/c I wouldn't have the pressure of making the choice and having it second guessed forever if it doesn't work out... and it's the Lakers.

As a Minnesotan and TPup fan I've been agonizing over the #1 decisions since we won the lottery. (Pretty sweet for me having Duke win the title and TPups win the lottery, their NBA Finals, in the same year) Any of my top 4 (Okafor/Towns/Russell/WINSLOW) would be a great addition.

The Duke side of me loves Okafor, but the Wolves are terrible defensively. For that reason if it is Towns vs. Okafor for the Wolves, I think the fit is better with Towns. But, like DukieJay pointed out I think the front office is leaning Okafor, from what I've heard they've had Jah at #1 on their big board all year. Jah drawing doubles with his great passing ability and Wiggins/Lavine/Shabazz cutting to the basket would work real nice.

Since we have Anthony Bennett on the squad, why not be like Cleveland and shock the world with our #1 pick (only have it work much better)...I'd love Winslow. I personally feel in 5 years he will be looked at as the best player from this draft. Seeing his improvement this year and then still seeing how much more he can improve on top of that is scary. Sky is the limit for that kid, it'd be mocked a bit if they passed on the two bigs for Justise, but I think it'd be a great move.

Wiggins can play the 2, because he can guard it. And the athleticism of a four wing rotation of Wiggins/Lavine/Shabazz/Justise running the court with the passing genius that is Rubio would be a thing of beauty. It's a dream, Wolves won't end up with Winslow unless they trade back...which also isn't happening more than likely.

Also with 31 and 36 in the 2nd round and a veteran like Kevin Martin on a good contract available to be dealt, I wouldn't be shocked at all if we go Jah at #1 that Flip Saunders does all he can to get into the teens to get Tyus. Wolves need a backup to Rubio, and Tyus can grow to replace him once his current deal is up.

Jah drawing doubles with his great passing ability and Wiggins/Lavine/Shabazz cutting to the basket would work real nice.

My understanding is that you can't double team before Jah catches the ball, and you must remain outside the lane on the weak side to avoid defensive 3 seconds. So I guess they can crash down on him after the catch?

My understanding is that you can't double team before Jah catches the ball, and you must remain outside the lane on the weak side to avoid defensive 3 seconds. So I guess they can crash down on him after the catch?

Even better!

I really don't care where Okafor goes, as long as he is happy with the pick, gets that big fat pay check he deserves, and everyone treats him right!!
Go Duke!!

JC-OFC

Reactions: Mark Gastineau
Probably nothing to it, but one website is reporting that Jah "may" ask the Wolves not to draft him.

http://fansided.com/2015/05/20/nba-rumors-jahlil-okafor-ask-timberwolves-not-draft-him/

That's purely speculative....and Jah is reputing the claims.

Listen....I'm not an idiot. I know LA is awfully attractive, the larger market, and with plenty of more endorsement opportunities....but I don't think it solely comes down to that.

I expect the Wolves to go Jah with #1.

I can certainly see the argument for Justise at no. 1. Its a perimeter-based league. Curry, Harden, Lebron, Westbrook, and CP3 were 5 of the top 6 MVP vote-getters. The other, Anthony Davis, shoots the long ball and flashes out on the wing. The traditional center position is going by the wayside. If you want to hit a home run, I would have no problem selecting Winslow.

On the Towns v. Okafor comparison. I disagree that Okafor has a higher ceiling. I think he has greater likelihood to reach his ceiling, but Towns is taller, longer, more athletic, and has better range; thus, higher ceiling. However, I think Okafor is a sure thing and is much more likely to have the better career. That's an easy decision if you are running the T-Wolves.......unless your name is David Kahn.

I see this as a comparison between Andrew Bynum and Tim Duncan. Okafor's footwork, post-moves, and work ethic resembles Duncan. Towns' size, defense, and potential resemble Bynum (although it doesn't appear Towns is a headcase like Bynum).

Love the Lakers and hope he goes there. And, hope he's great in the NBA.

But, I do think that Winslow will turn out to be the best player in this draft.

Hate to see you like this DJ, think you'll be dissappointed on draft night- KAT is going #1.

Btw a front line of Jah and Randle is pretty elite for the next decade.

DJ's heart aside, it would be cool to see Jah become the next installment of the great Laker center lineage.

We'll see. Flip seems pretty infatuated with Jahlil. He's called him the best low-post offensive player to come out of college since Tim Duncan. If he's saying those things and then doesn't take him (and if Jah turns out to be that good) he would look pretty foolish.

We'll see. Flip seems pretty infatuated with Jahlil. He's called him the best low-post offensive player to come out of college since Tim Duncan. If he's saying those things and then doesn't take him (and if Jah turns out to be that good) he would look pretty foolish.
I'd love for Jah to go #1, that would be awesome to have yet another #1 pick from Duke. Would be even more sweet if they were somehow able to nab Tyus too. Dream scenario.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT