ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Favorite NBA players.

skysdad

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 3, 2006
I admit I'm not a great NBA fan but at one time in my life I did follow it pretty much on a consistent basis. I do support all Duke players and love to see them doing well . With that said I do have three players who are my favorites.
Grant Hill, Larry Bird and Dr. J. Julius Irving who is my favorite. The thing is none of the teams they played for do I consider my favorite team of which I've never had a favorite NBA team which is odd coming from a sports fan like me. OFC

Reactions: MSUbluedevil
Sky I love the playoffs especially the deeper they get. I was a Boston and a Chicago fan so for me its Larry Bird and Scotty Pippin. This goes back before I learned to dislike UNC so I was also a fan of Jordan. Also liked Walt Frazier and Bill Bradley ok and Dr J.

Reactions: skysdad
Perfect timing for this thread, Sky. As an NBA addict, the harsh reality of the off season is starting to sink in.

My favorite player of all time is Grant Hill. Not only because of his days at Duke, but also because he was a Piston, and a great one, right around the time I really started watching and understanding the game of basketball. I was born in 1987, so I wasn't around to watch the likes of Dr. J, and I was too young to really remember the Bird/Magic years.

Right now, aside from the Duke guys, I'm a big fan of Russell Westbrook.

Fave was Bill Bradley. I grew up near Princeton and watched numerous games. Plus he spoke to my church group on several occasions. Had his autograph from one of those sessions, but it probably ended up in the same place as my baseball card collection.
OFC

Larry Bird
Brad Davis -- you'll have to look that one up
Steve Nash
Blake Griffin

Duke Players
Grant Hill
Kyrie Irving

Larry legend and "Pistol" not and NBA fan but like them and Chris Paul pretty well too

My all-time favorite NBA player is Charles Barkley. He's now my favorite analyst. I don't always agree with him but I think he has good takes most of the time.

Honorable mention to guys like KG, Reggie Miller, Tim Duncan and now Andrew Wiggins. I'd love to add Okafor to that list a week from tonight. I'll like him either way....but it would be easier if he's in a Wolves uniform.

And for the record I'm a big NBA fan, so I follow all of our former players closely. J.J. is still probably my favorite, and I'll be a big fan of Tyus wherever he winds up.

I guess I shoulda added JJ is my fav player of all time at duke or pros

JJ is my favorite right now. Pull for all the Dukies but if the Clippers had played the Cavs for the title I would have been pulling for the Clippers Kryie is gonna be something else if he can knock this injury thing. . I believe within 4 years or so the all-star game is gonna be full of Dukies. A few rings will be won also. . Guys I ove Duke and all the Dukies representing us at the NBA level. We gotta be proud. OFC

I don't have a favorite NBA team, I just actively follow former Duke players. Any list of my favorite players would begin and end in that group.

The skills I have always enjoyed watching the most, for whatever reason, are players that are crafty passers and players who shoot with range. The non-Duke guys I enjoy the most tend to be elite in one of those areas.

Now: Kyrie and Steph
Older guys: Kobe and Timmy D
Throwback: Magic, Stockton, and Barkley

Larry Bird - I had a videotape of him showing how to use 9 different spots on the "bankboard", unreal.

Charles Barkley - always gave everything he had.

Allen Iverson - not a favorite, but pound for pound one of the most fearless taking the ball to the basket.

Brad Davis - I went to a summer camp when I was 12. My mother was late picking me up, so I got to watch him practice by himself for 30 minutes. He simulated playing a game as he went full court back and forth, he was still practicing as I left. I knew right then I didn't have what it took to make it to the NBA. (LOL)

All time - Pat Ewing

Now - Tim Duncan and Steph. Kyrie if he would stop getting hurt.

I pull for all the Duke guys. Grant Hill and Johnny Dawkins were my favorite Duke guys with Kyrie and JJ right there as well.

As far as favorite players, most of them were Celtics. Larry Bird, McHale, Dennis Johnson, Paul Pierce, KG, Rondo and Reggie Lewis. (his death still bums me out) Non Celtics would include, Barkley (same reasons as dukiejay, the man is pure gold!), Clyde Drexler, Dirk and a few others.

I pull for all the Duke guys. Grant Hill and Johnny Dawkins were my favorite Duke guys with Kyrie and JJ right there as well.

As far as favorite players, most of them were Celtics. Larry Bird, McHale, Dennis Johnson, Paul Pierce, KG, Rondo and Reggie Lewis. (his death still bums me out) Non Celtics would include, Barkley (same reasons as dukiejay, the man is pure gold!), Clyde Drexler, Dirk and a few others.

Reggie Lewis and Drazen Petrovic are two players who were just straight stolen from us. Two all time greats that never really got a chance to be where they were going to be. Jason Williams as well (obviously didn't die, but you get the point).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT