ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Childhood Hero

pisgah101

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Dec 26, 2005
Who was your childhood hero and are you still a big fan? Mine was Elvis my mom would play his music all the time and I wanted to be him. He is the definition of cool to me. My mom was only 7 when he died but her mom and dad were big fans so i get it honest. And im a huge fan still and prob always will he. I was also real big into westerns but liked the outlaws better like Jesse James and billy the kid

Cal Ripken. He does a little commentating now, but I don't see him too regularly.

I had a few athletes I looked up to. Bobby Hurley was just quietly spectacular. He did need to speak, he just had to play. Donny Baseball was pure class on some awful Yankee teams.

And one of my favorites was Paul O'Neill. That guy could be 4-4 with 4 grand slams, ground out in his 5th at bat and still be furious with himself. I loved that. I always liked that he was striving for perfection. I also liked that he never left NY to pursue more money. When he signed his last contract someone asked him why he didn't leave for more. His response was that he was happy there, his wife was happy, his kids were in school and had friend, so why change all of that for a little more money? He's even great as a commentator for the YES Network. He's always eating something and has a lot of fun with it. It's great that he could be so intense on the field and so light-hearted off the field.

As far as non-sports figures, my grandmother and my parents have always been my heroes. If I can be half as good as them, I'll consider my life a success.

Last edited:
I have to be honest and say Mickey Mantle. But now that I have had many years of seasoning that honor has to go to 2 people. My parents. Both loved me unconditionally . My mom was my protector. She took care of the neighbor hood bullies despite being about 5' nothing. She made sure I was clean and fed. She always managed to make sure I had a little piece of money on me. She saved her on hard earned money to buy me my first car a used 64 1/2 Mustang for my high school graduation gift. . She worked full time but always cooked and did that well and kept up her house work. Neighborhood kids would stop by the house to eat her left over cold made from scratch biscuits. My mom loved to dance and I can still see her doing "The Charleston." My dad worked 7 days a week and the job he had was as a chicken farm attendant which required many hours of attention. He hand gathered eggs in 6 or 7 large chicken house. In the summer time it would get so hot his clothes stayed wringing wet. He died at the fairly early age of 67 and I believe working hard in those hot chicken houses took years off his life. His education got him through the 5th grade so he never made any money to amount to anything. He still found time to take me fishing, baseball, football and basketball games and even some Duke football games. He had a great sense of humor and loved pranks. He couldn't sing a lick but loved to sing. My parents were also foster parents to several kids who still to this day remember them and how the treated them just as well as they treated me an only child. Both loved to garden and my mom did a lot of canning. So sad long it took me to realize just how much of mentors and heroes they really were . Never heard either one of them use any profanity. Both have passed on and I still feel the presence of both and feel that they watch over me . Great thread and happy I got to post this and appreciative of those of you who had the patience to read it. OFC

Last edited:
I have to be honest and say Mickey Mantle. But now that I have had many years of seasoning that honor has to go to 2 people. My parents. Both loved me unconditionally . My mom was my protector. She took care of the neighbor hood bullies despite being about 5' nothing. She made sure I was clean and fed. She always managed to make sure I had a little piece of money on me. he saved her on hard earned money to buy me my first car a used 64 1/2 Mustang. She worked full time but always cooked and kept up her house work. My dad worked 7 days a week and the job he had was as a chicken farm attendant which required many hours of attention. He hand gathered eggs in 6 or 7 large chicken house. In the summer time it would get so hot his clothes stayed wringing wet. He died at the fairly early age of 67 and I believe working hard in those hot chicken houses took years off his life. His education got him through the 5th grade so he never made any money to amount to anything. He still found time to take me fishing, baseball, football and basketball games and even some Duke football games. My parents were also foster parents to several kids who still to this day remember them and how the treated them just as well as they treated me an only child. So sad long it took me to realize just how much of mentors and heroes they really were . Great thread and happy I got to post this and appreciative of those of you who had the patience to read it. OFC
this is great sky!

Reactions: skysdad
Other than family members.... Steve Garvey Marques Johnson Dr.J. Andrew Toney Dan Fouts

Cal Ripken. He does a little commentating now, but I don't see him too regularly.

Cal for me too. Born and raised in Md, every boy my age loved the Ironman. When baseball season came around we all fought over number 8. Heck we wanted 8 for every other sport we played too.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Who was your childhood hero and are you still a big fan? Mine was Elvis my mom would play his music all the time and I wanted to be him. He is the definition of cool to me. My mom was only 7 when he died but her mom and dad were big fans so i get it honest. And im a huge fan still and prob always will he. I was also real big into westerns but liked the outlaws better like Jesse James and billy the kid

Pisgah, I'm a huge Elvis fan also. He's my favorite singer of all time...no one close imo. My wife and I traveled to Graceland right after he died to pay our respects. I colored my hair black (like him) for many years. I even love his movies...Elvis, songs, pretty girls...what more could you ask for?:D

Although I admired Elvis' talent, my heroes have always been my mom and dad. They endured some incredible hardships during their lives (and I lived through a few with them), but they never let the bad times beat them down. Their strength, and belief in God was very strong, and I'm thankful that just a little of that rubbed off on me.

OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: pisgah101
I have to be honest and say Mickey Mantle. But now that I have had many years of seasoning that honor has to go to 2 people. My parents. Both loved me unconditionally . My mom was my protector. She took care of the neighbor hood bullies despite being about 5' nothing. She made sure I was clean and fed. She always managed to make sure I had a little piece of money on me. She saved her on hard earned money to buy me my first car a used 64 1/2 Mustang for my high school graduation gift. . She worked full time but always cooked and did that well and kept up her house work. Neighborhood kids would stop by the house to eat her left over cold made from scratch biscuits. My mom loved to dance and I can still see her doing "The Charleston." My dad worked 7 days a week and the job he had was as a chicken farm attendant which required many hours of attention. He hand gathered eggs in 6 or 7 large chicken house. In the summer time it would get so hot his clothes stayed wringing wet. He died at the fairly early age of 67 and I believe working hard in those hot chicken houses took years off his life. His education got him through the 5th grade so he never made any money to amount to anything. He still found time to take me fishing, baseball, football and basketball games and even some Duke football games. He had a great sense of humor and loved pranks. He couldn't sing a lick but loved to sing. My parents were also foster parents to several kids who still to this day remember them and how the treated them just as well as they treated me an only child. Both loved to garden and my mom did a lot of canning. So sad long it took me to realize just how much of mentors and heroes they really were . Never heard either one of them use any profanity. Both have passed on and I still feel the presence of both and feel that they watch over me . Great thread and happy I got to post this and appreciative of those of you who had the patience to read it. OFC

Just flat out inspirational, Sky.

OFC

Reactions: skysdad
Neil Fingleton. Those red squirrels under his armpits amazed me.

Pisgah, I'm a huge Elvis fan also. He's my favorite singer of all time...no one close imo. My wife and I traveled to Graceland right after he died to pay our respects. I colored my hair black (like him) for many years. I even love his movies...Elvis, songs, pretty girls...what more could you ask for?:D

Although I admired Elvis' talent, my heroes have always been my mom and dad. They endured some incredible hardships during their lives (and I lived through a few with them), but they never let the bad times beat them down. Their strength, and belief in God was very strong, and I'm thankful that just a little of that rubbed off on me.

OFC
very cool OAD very cool. I went a couple years ago I can't imagine going right then though that woulda been something! And u should post some of those jet black hair pics haha! And sounds like you had some good parents! And I can tell even through this board that it rubbed off and they'd be proud

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
I had to think about this a bit and decided I didn't have any heroes except my Mother. My Father died at 45 when I was 7 so just my Mom and I after my Brother married at 19. My Mother could do anything it seemed, always gave me the very best her limited income allowed. When you grow up poor you don't miss things you never knew existed and to me she was both parents and she was also the smartest person I have ever known.

I have to be honest and say Mickey Mantle.

My father was a huge Mickey Mantle fan. He grew up on Clifton and said some of the most fun he used to have as a teenager was hitchhiking into the city to watch him play. His parents also got engaged at Yankee Stadium and I grew up watching Mattingly.

Bruce Jenner! Man, that guy could do anything! To compete in the decathlon, you have to be really athletic, but that talent also has to transition from one thing into the next. For him to move so easily from one thing to another was really impressive. What kid wouldn't want to grow up to be like him?

I wonder what he's up to these days...

1. My Mom - passed in 2001 with cancer. One hell of a fighter!
2. Pa-paw - WWII Vet Bronze Star and Two Purple Heart recipient. Found out years after he passed that he told me more about his war time than he did my dad or aunts. I feel blessed to have had time with him.
3. Every other WWII Vet. They are some of the wisest, strongest, and bravest ever!
Lastly - My kids. My son is a fighter in every sport and gives his all on/off the field/court in every sport. He is more competitive than anyone I know. My daughter has a condition called NF. She is tough as they come for a 6 yr. old. She never complains about her testing. Both of my kids are fighters and I am lucky to have two great kids.

1. My Mom - passed in 2001 with cancer. One hell of a fighter!
2. Pa-paw - WWII Vet Bronze Star and Two Purple Heart recipient. Found out years after he passed that he told me more about his war time than he did my dad or aunts. I feel blessed to have had time with him.
3. Every other WWII Vet. They are some of the wisest, strongest, and bravest ever!
Lastly - My kids. My son is a fighter in every sport and gives his all on/off the field/court in every sport. He is more competitive than anyone I know. My daughter has a condition called NF. She is tough as they come for a 6 yr. old. She never complains about her testing. Both of my kids are fighters and I am lucky to have two great kids.

Great stuff, Dad2ze.

OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT