ADVERTISEMENT

No matter what UNC should be good for the next two seasons.

skysdad

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 3, 2006
I know this is strange coming from me but we all know the Heels are a serious contender for the national championship this year. They are loaded and experienced. True they will lose Paige, Johnson and James in 2016 but sill have experienced talent for 2016-17. I know there may be underclassman who may declare depending on the success of their individual seasons but remember that HOF Coach Roy Williams is the master of getting his players to stay in the system. Just think of Kennedy Meeks as a senior. Justin Jackson could be a NPOY as a a junior. We still don't know just how good Big Luke Maye and Kenny Williams can be. If UNC receives little or insignificant penalties then the recruitment of top 4 and 5 star talent will surly have to be dealt with. Just happy that Coach K has us well stocked and pursuing more top notch talent. Getting Giles, Frank Jackson, Dennis Smith or both are a priority and the quicker the better. But my wish is that the NCAA gets some balls and does the right thing to where the 2016-17 core base declares and top notch recruits go elsewhere and the UNC program dives like like a sunken ship. OFC

Yep, they'll be pretty good I think, but the allegations may affect morale and make small struggles seem worse adding pressure to succeed in the short term. If they have a mediocre year, it could get bad. All that said, they will win some games this season. They had us dead in the water last year and laid an egg in crunch time.

They will still lose 7 games or so. I get that they bring back a bunch of guys from a decent team, but they lose one of their two impressive athletes, I like Paige, but will he really improve that much from Junior to senior? I do think Jackson will improve greatly, but not sure who else will. Just do not see many game changers on that team. No lottery picks, No real pro talent.

I predict losing more than 12 games with the team praying for a ban at the end of year since they will at best be heading to the NIT

I predict losing more than 12 games with the team praying for a ban at the end of year since they will at best be heading to the NIT

Dude I dislike the Holes as much as anyone else out there, but this ain't happening. They're gonna do very well next year.

I know this is strange coming from me but we all know the Heels are a serious contender for the national championship this year. They are loaded and experienced. True they will lose Paige, Johnson and James in 2016 but sill have experienced talent for 2016-17. I know there may be underclassman who may declare depending on the success of their individual seasons but remember that HOF Coach Roy Williams is the master of getting his players to stay in the system. Just think of Kennedy Meeks as a senior. Justin Jackson could be a NPOY as a a junior. We still don't know just how good Big Luke Maye and Kenny Williams can be. If UNC receives little or insignificant penalties then the recruitment of top 4 and 5 star talent will surly have to be dealt with. Just happy that Coach K has us well stocked and pursuing more top notch talent. Getting Giles, Frank Jackson, Dennis Smith or both are a priority and the quicker the better. But my wish is that the NCAA gets some balls and does the right thing to where the 2016-17 core base declares and top notch recruits go elsewhere and the UNC program dives like like a sunken ship. OFC

UNC will have a great chance to cut the nets down this year.

The Heels will be good this coming season, with a chance to be very good if Jackson and Berry become the players people expect them to be. Paige and Johnson are who they are....really good, veterans players. But they aren't the guys unc needs growth from to become very good.

Good next year with a shot at an elite 8 MAYBE final four if the pieces fall perfect but I don't think they'll be as talented as us, kentucky or Maryland but we will see. As far as the next year they are gunna have it rough unless they manage to score a great recruiting class IMO

Would have been nice if the NCAA would have come out with their penalies in Jan. instead of April. Then they would have been banned from post season play-hopefully.

Reactions: Dominator4321
They were a ten loss team this year (not that that is a measure for next year). Unless Paige does better than 14.1 points per game, Jackson is going to have to take a serious leap. Tokoto's defense will be missed.

I am not buying the championship caliber of UNC for next year at this point. Maryland has all the pieces and Duke and UK will be loaded.

A senior Meeks?!?!?!?!?!?!? That's just not fair. The only thing that could stop a senior Meeks is John Reik or for McDonalds to bring back the McRib at a 5 for 1 special offer.

They were a ten loss team this year (not that that is a measure for next year). Unless Paige does better than 14.1 points per game, Jackson is going to have to take a serious leap. Tokoto's defense will be missed.

I am not buying the championship caliber of UNC for next year at this point. Maryland has all the pieces and Duke and UK will be loaded.

I'm leaning toward Phil on this. They were good last year, but had a serious problem in closing games (no mental toughness). Now being a year older could certainly help in this area, but mental toughness isn't so easy to acquire. If this team can improve on that then I see them being a force...but if they falter early on in closing games...watch out, the Heels could lose their wheels (well, not their rental cars!).:)

OFC

I have no idea one way or the other but the hype they get comes (primarily!) from being a team loaded with upper-classmen. There's talent there too but it's seasoned talent and THAT'S why they're hyped. Paige was their stud and he took a step BACK last year. Still a fine player but wasn't he pre-season ACC POY? True , he could bounce back. Who knows? I do know this though and someone already said it...Roy's still their coach and when has Roy ever won ANYTHING without the absolute BEST talent in the country? "Coaching up" players ain't his strong suit and even with the talent unx has it ain't over-whelming talent. If it WAS , more of 'em would be gone already. They're still in school. Why? unx consistently has the highest rated players coming outta high school staying the longest. Can't have it both ways. Either Roy's lookin' after Roy or these kids are somewhat over-rated. Which is it? Both?

Reactions: QC Dukie
in recent years kids get worse in ole roy's system and add in the fact that every away game will be filled with chants of being cheaters which will wear down this mentally-weak team that nearly got bounced by harvard in the 1st round last year. paige is coming back from surgery and so is pinson so both will be worse than last year, meeks is not going to lose 40 pounds and is going to come into the season at 300, jackson was shooting ard 20% behind the arch midway through the season and is unlikely to suddenly start making baskets. also they have no starter quality talent coming in this year (both players are outside the top 100 in every ranking other than espn and will likely be benchwarmers their entire careers)

Add this to the fact that the cheats have never won a championship since getting rid of the fake courses and always needed a fast PG (lawson & felton) under Roy to win...I'd say there is 0 chance of them winning anything this year...

this season hopefully will signal the death of unc basketball...a program whose entire success has been due to cheating

Reactions: bgeekb
This is the only thing that Roy and the Heels will be sweeping this season.

Roy%20Williams%20Sweeping%20It%20Under%20The%20Rug%20Bigger.gif

In the meantime...K has his broom registered as a lethal weapon. Hail to the King, baby!

Coach%20K%20Boomstick%20Bigger.jpg

OFC

The one with HOF Coach Roy Williams sweeping made my day dirt. A HOF photo shop for sure. OFC

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
The one with HOF Coach Roy Williams sweeping made my day dirt. A HOF photo shop for sure. OFC

Hahaha, thanks, Sky! I don't know if you remember, Sky, but I made that...hmmm...a couple of years ago, I think, when a UK fan posted that pic (man in brown suit with a broom and a rug). I added Roy's head, worked a little until I was about to put the broom into motion (with a skull being swept), and made a little gif of it. Aaah...good memories, Sky!

OFC

Reactions: skysdad
I see UNC** sweeping duke next season.

It's certainly possible but Duke has won 10 of the last 13...11 of the last 17 AT unx! Since 1999 , Duke leads unx 27-13. Don't get me wrong. This rivalry can turn on a dime. But for the last SIXTEEN YEARS Duke's owned unx. I'd consider taking that into consideration if I was gonna make any predictions on next season's games.

That's actually 17 seasons. 2001-2015 is obviously 15... add in 2000 and 1999 and you have 17 seasons of dominance. Really the only time UNC has had an edge over us in that time period were the Hansbrough years. We swept UNC in 99, 00, 02, 04, 10, 13, 15. UNC got us in 07 and 09. We've swept them seven times, while they got us twice.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
I would predict someone to sweep the kitty cats this year, but not in that weak azz D2 conference.

OFC

Reactions: Dominator4321
. Really the only time UNC has had an edge over us in that time period were the Hansbrough years.

And keep in mind that Lawson was the difference maker back then moreso than Hansflop. Duke just didn't have an answer for 'im. One of Duke's few wins came with Lawson not playing. Other factors to consider and they trump all else: the AFAM scam was in high gear , that scam and Lawson's DUI enabled Roy to keep the functional illiterate an extra season AND Matt was takin' care of Tami. Momma was happy so the mouth-breather was happy. In simplest terms , remove the cheating then consider what the numbers would look like. Lulz.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT