ADVERTISEMENT

New Basketball Commitment

Nah, not far "too" complicated for me at all, I just laughed reading your post and your terrible interpretation of the word chemistry, specifically when applied to a competitive, team sport. But hey, you played HS basketball (even though I asked about collegiate sports) so you have a firm grasp on it's importance. The scariest part of all of this is that you have this much time on your hands. Very, very scary.

Originally posted by DukeJim99:

Originally posted by Crank_it_loud:
First off, loosen up your panties Mr. Sensitive. I do realize that you have an insane amount of free time given your extensive, random, incoherent rambling, but there's no need to get too upset over what was a legitimate question.

You obviously cannot grasp the fact that Sheed was causing problems for the staff and the locker room, amongst other things. But go ahead, get back to your rambling; it's obvious that you have it all down in your mind.
From what we know Sheed caused some type of discord, but I don't think anyone here really understands the specifics of that. But it's not as if Sheed's supposed effect on team chemistry was causing real problems. With Sheed they were 17-3, having handily beaten #2 Wisconsin and #6 Louisville, in true road games, and #18 MSU (a final four team), on a neutral court. They had a crappy four-day stretch while Sheed was on the team. Otherwise, they looked freaking phenomenal in his 20 games.
I guess you missed where I stated "amongst other things". I think most would say that Duke looked more "freaking phenomenal" in their games after Sheed was dismissed compared to when the started hot, then lost 3 games (1 very badly at home). Was Sheed the only reason for this? Absolutely not, but to think that there wasn't tension in the locker room is just wrong IMO.

Look, Sheed was one of my favorites on last years team and I was bummed when he was dismissed. He actually did a great job of trying to bring guys closer but some of his supposed off-the-court actions obviously caused issues, and they actually impacted the team from what I have been told (a trusted contact). I also wish that there was a way for Sheed to come back next year but that simply isn't an option.....
This post was edited on 4/16 4:34 PM by Crank_it_loud

Originally posted by DukeJim99:

First off, loosen up your panties Mr. Sensitive. I do realize that you have an insane amount of free time given your extensive, random, incoherent rambling, but there's no need to get too upset over what was a legitimate question.

You obviously cannot grasp the fact that Sheed was causing problems for the staff and the locker room, amongst other things. But go ahead, get back to your rambling; it's obvious that you have it all down in your mind.
From what we know Sheed caused some type of discord, but I don't think anyone here really understands the specifics of that. But it's not as if Sheed's supposed effect on team chemistry was causing real problems. With Sheed they were 17-3, having handily beaten #2 Wisconsin and #6 Louisville, in true road games, and #18 MSU (a final four team), on a neutral court. They had a crappy four-day stretch while Sheed was on the team. Otherwise, they looked freaking phenomenal in his 20 games.
I guess you missed where I stated "amongst other things". I think most would say that Duke looked more "freaking phenomenal" in their games after Sheed was dismissed compared to when the started hot, then lost 3 games (1 very badly at home). Was Sheed the only reason for this? Absolutely not, but to think that there wasn't tension in the locker room is just wrong IMO.
I didn't. I even quoted and bolded that part. :)

I don't think anyone is denying there was tension in the locker room. I think the only point of possible disagreement is how big a factor that was for this team, or is for teams generally, as regards the team's on-court performance. Everyone agrees it can be a factor, certainly, but how big? Depends on the team. Some teams hate each other and over-achieve not only in spite of it, but in part because of it. Other teams hate each other and underachieve, in part, because of it.

As to your other point, I'm not sure they did look significantly better, at least pre-NCAA tournament, without sheed than with him.

The post-sheed UVA win was about equivalent to the Sheed Wisconsin win.
The post-sheed ND loss on a neutral court in our home state was worse than the sheed ND loss at ND.
The post-sheed ND win at home was huge and probably their best game of the season, but the Sheed Louisville road win was against a higher ranked team and on the road and wasn't all that close.
The post-sheed FSU road squeaker was about equivalent to the sheed Wake Forest road squeaker.
The post-sheed VaTech OT game at home embarrassment was less embarrassing than the sheed at home Miami embarrassment.
The post-sheed OT home game against UNC was an underperformance Duke, IMO, and was not nearly as good of a performance as the neutral court Sheed win against MSU.
The post-sheed NCState win on a neutral court was MUCH better than the Sheed NCState road loss.

So again, other than those four days in January, the Sheed team certainly stacks up nicely to the post-Sheed team.

The team with Sheed was freaking great. The team post Sheed was freaking great. I loved watching both versions of that team play.

This post was edited on 4/16 4:45 PM by DukeJim99

FWIW, I personally don't really care what happened during those 4 games and the reasoning behind Sheed's dismissal. I trust K and damn near anything that he does. He's got 5 rings... count 'em, 5. If he feels it is what is in the best need of the TEAM and Duke University then I'm going to back him. I liked Sheed, I really do and wish him nothing but the best. We won a National Championship, accomplished the goal of every single team in the NCAA, and I'm not going to dive into the season and try and play Dr. Wellington and solve any problems because the last thing I care about is the 4 games we lost. We ended the season different than any team in the entire NCAA... with a win.

I didn't really read the bulk of your posts but I can about guarantee that it doesn't matter which one of you are right so enough of it.

Originally posted by ridgewaydevil:
For some reason I'm just not to excited about this kid. I hope I'm wrong , but who knows.
Yeah ridge, I kind of know the feeling your talking about. I think it's because he's not going to be an immediate impact player such as Jah, Justice, Tyus, Luke or Chase. I am still excited for him to be a part of the program but I haven't watched any film or really studied up on him much which I will do over the weekend.

Originally posted by CatcherForLife6:
FWIW, I personally don't really care what happened during those 4 games and the reasoning behind Sheed's dismissal. I trust K and damn near anything that he does. He's got 5 rings... count 'em, 5. If he feels it is what is in the best need of the TEAM and Duke University then I'm going to back him. I liked Sheed, I really do and wish him nothing but the best. We won a National Championship, accomplished the goal of every single team in the NCAA, and I'm not going to dive into the season and try and play Dr. Wellington and solve any problems because the last thing I care about is the 4 games we lost. We ended the season different than any team in the entire NCAA... with a win.

I didn't really read the bulk of your posts but I can about guarantee that it doesn't matter which one of you are right so enough of it.
Agreed. The conversation was really a response to some comment about the Parker / Rivers team, which eventually got a bit hijacked by one poster who, for whatever reason, wants to personally attack me. I don't think anyone in this thread is really questioning K's handling of that situation.

The focus of this thread should remain the kid who committed to us.
This post was edited on 4/16 5:29 PM by aah555

I do know this much, Duke is an elite program and if the staff feels this kid fits into the program, I'm happy to get him.

Well from the latest video that was posted...He has a lot of potential. Offensively looking, he's better than marshall when he came in. You can never have enough 6'11 270 pound kids on a team. I honestly think if we land a good point guard and run the same iso's with Vrankovic he can show minor glances of what jahlil did. However, I'm not saying he should start. In the past 5 years...our "bigs" have been plumlees and zoubek outside of okafor. Okafor from what i can remember was the first 5 we actually ran plays to. We can all agree all 3 plumlees were used as screeners and cutters in our offense. They were never "Post up" down low guys, and if they did mason was the only one to develop a semi good hook shot. I think we will love this kid in 2 years. Just my opinion

Originally posted by aah555:

Originally posted by CatcherForLife6:

Agreed. The conversation was really a response to some comment about the Parker / Rivers team, which eventually got a bit hijacked by one poster who, for whatever reason, wants to personally attack me. I don't think anyone in this thread is really questioning K's handling of that situation.

The focus of this thread should remain the kid who committed to us.

This post was edited on 4/16 5:29 PM by aah555
For the love of God, let it go. I asked you a serious question and you got all upset about it for some reason. I then stated things that are true (example being that you obciously have a ton of free time on your hands) so it is not a big deal. Your sensitivity continues to show in your follow up posts. My suggestion is to let it go.

Apologies to anyone else that had to read that exchange. I stand by my original feeling that the term "chemistry" here is being explained incorrectly here by some.....

Masons senior year he was a screen and cutter?? He was a bad man that year and one of the best players in the country! Also I watched the new highlights and this guy looks okay the potential is deff there. If he can get boards and play D I'll be happy

So he can dunk. I saw an older video and it seemed every shot was released below the net. Based purely on the highlight videos, it seems like he is slow and has no vertical, but has great size, knows how to use his body in the post, good touch around the rim, and footwork seems good. Not bad for a role player. Now lets go get a wing and PG.

Brian Zoubek 2.0

Hopefully he won't have to deal with the injuries that slowed Zoubs developement. Maybe he can be at the senior Zoubek level by his junior year.

This post was edited on 4/17 1:00 PM by mo.st.dukie

Let's open him with open arms and not throw him under the bus or question Coach K on why he's not getting 10 minutes a game. Let's just let him develop into the best he can be for Duke. OFC

Originally posted by skysdad:
Let's open him with open arms and not throw him under the bus or question Coach K on why he's not getting 10 minutes a game. Let's just let him develop into the best he can be for Duke. OFC
LOL, you know it's coming Sky.

Maybe this commit will be enough to get Rosh back in here.

Just think people never thought much about Tim Duncan when he first played at W-F.

I don't think anyone will question PT or Coach K as he's not a top 15-20 recruit and I suspect he'll take a few years to develop. I think everyone knows that.

You'd be surprised Young. your boy ADM will ask why he isn't getting 10 min a game, b/c thats apparently the magic number on how many minutes you should play.

He is not Zoubek. Zoubs was a 5 star recruit and over 7 feet! I have no expectations of this kid. I will just accept whatever he is. If he can contribute by his redshirt junior year, that would be great.

Originally posted by dadecodevil:
He is not Zoubek. Zoubs was a 5 star recruit and over 7 feet! I have no expectations of this kid. I will just accept whatever he is. If he can contribute by his redshirt junior year, that would be great.
Yeah, I don't really care about the number of stars. Just look at the way Vrank plays, very similar to Zoubek. Ryan Kelly and Frank Kaminsky are very similar types of players, one was a 5 star the other a 3 star.

And he has skyrocketed over the last year and his rating doesn't really reflect where he is at now or could be . Some of these guys are late bloomers who improve and change rapidly, the ratings systems should always be taken with a grain of salt. And he could end up around 7 feet, his dad is 7'2. He'll probably take a few years to develop, improve his body and conditioning (Zoubs was kind of skinny as a freshman, he was solidly built as a senior), get used to the college game, but his skills and movement are similar to Zoubek.

This post was edited on 4/17 11:52 PM by mo.st.dukie

Originally posted by DukeDenver:
Mo. State, do you live in Springfield?
grew up near there, went to Missouri State, don't live there anymore though

This post was edited on 4/18 12:10 PM by mo.st.dukie

Originally posted by youngman42:

I don't think anyone will question PT or Coach K as he's not a top 15-20 recruit and I suspect he'll take a few years to develop. I think everyone knows that.
Just wait and see youngman. Just wait and see. OFC

I think I just read that he averaged 27.5 points a game his senior season. I don't know if that is correct or the caliber of competition he faced, but wow.

He does look similar to how Zoubek looked coming out of high school, although AV looks a little more polished offensively. Should be a nice four year player.

I think I just read that he averaged 27.5 points a game his senior season. I don't know if that is correct or the caliber of competition he faced, but wow.

Competition wasn't that great, but he should be a solid 4 year player nonetheless.

Can he make foul shots?[/[/B]QUOTE]

I believe I read somewhere that he is an 80% FT shooter. He has a very good handle for someone his size, but has a lot of work to do. That's why I am hoping "K" redshirts him.
He could have a major impact his Jr./Sr. year.
Go Duke!!

JC-OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT