ADVERTISEMENT

Most Important shot in Duke History????

Definitely Laettner's shot. Without that we're home watching the final four. But Hurley's was big.
Without Bobby we don’t win 91. Laettners speaks for itself. Interesting to rewatch the 91 game. Hunt and Anthony tried to intimidate Hurley every chance they got. He was sick the year before and they really had a misunderstanding of what Bobby was all about

I've always thought Hurley's three was the biggest shot in Duke history though it would only be a footnote if not for Brian Davis's and 1 moments later.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I've always thought Hurley's three was the biggest shot in Duke history though it would only be a footnote if not for Brian Davis's and 1 moments later.
Watching it on Facebook was funny to hear Packer saying we did need to take a three right before Bobby drained it

Watching it on Facebook was funny to hear Packer saying we did need to take a three right before Bobby drained it
Never been a huge fan but packer and nantz were all time this game. All time.

Great article, great moment, great shot.

You could argue Hurley's shot vs Laetner's forever. In addition to monumental impact of both, clutchness, etc, there was also the readiness on the exact specific moment.
Hurley didnt just come dow and chuck up panicked 3 or try to be the hero, he exactly understood the chane in D, the opportunity that chang might present, and waited for that exact opportunity. He didnt force the shot regardless of the situation, he passed first to create the situation even though he wanted to shoot all along.
Same with Laetner. Recognized how much time 2+ seconds was in relation to where he was supposed to receive the pass, and, and instead of hurrying the shot he dribbled and set up the shot.
Both were brilliant and clutch.

Tyus Jones was rightly the MOP of the '15 FF, but at the banquet that year, K singled out Grayson's diving defensive play to create a turnover followed by his and 1 as really crucial to the 2nd half comeback.

Similarly, we all know the influence and magnitude of Laet's shot v UK. Bobby's shot kinda gets buried b/c it wasn't a buzzer beater. There's not much to say about Laet's shot except that it went in and we won. (I know, the catch, the dribble, yes, yes.) There's a lot more to dissect w/ Bobby's shot.

Grayson's and one against Wisconsin was big and really turned the momentum of the game when they had us on the ropes. Not bigger than Laettner's but still huge. It was amazing the jolt of energy he gave us for that stretch.

You guys wont' remember this, it's one of those odd things that sticks in my mind. In 1986, Duke played Mississippi Valley State in the first round. Duke was on the ropes. Dawkins took over and on one play with less than 5 minutes left took the ball to the basket, was clobbered and as he went down on his back threw up the shot and it went in for the "and 1". It put Duke ahead for good.

Duke loses that game and does the dynasty ever get started? I remember that play so vividly.

I started watching Duke that year. I was in high school. I didn't see that game though.

You guys wont' remember this, it's one of those odd things that sticks in my mind. In 1986, Duke played Mississippi Valley State in the first round. Duke was on the ropes. Dawkins took over and on one play with less than 5 minutes left took the ball to the basket, was clobbered and as he went down on his back threw up the shot and it went in for the "and 1". It put Duke ahead for good.

Duke loses that game and does the dynasty ever get started? I remember that play so vividly.
Great answer. I remember Duke being in trouble, but not that shot

Gene Banks' buzzer beater in Cameron against UNC in 1981 gave coach Krzyzewski some credibility. Probably didn't save his job after a rough 1983, but you never know...

Reactions: hart2chesson
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT