ADVERTISEMENT

JJ crushing it as an NBA analyst.

I'm not sure i can recall an analyst evolving this quickly... it's almost like he gets better by the day.
That’s where the years of preparing for his podcasts have really set him up well for success. His podcasts are amazing and he knows everything about the guys who he is speaking with every episode. He prepares like he did playing the game.

Doncic is a stud, don't get me wrong, but I have to agree with Max on this one. Larry Legend was on another level. I like JJ's passion for defending today's game, but I think he needs to dial back some of what he's been saying.

Doncic is a stud, don't get me wrong, but I have to agree with Max on this one. Larry Legend was on another level. I like JJ's passion for defending today's game, but I think he needs to dial back some of what he's been saying.
Athletes of today are MUCH quicker and stronger. His stats are in line with Bird's too. Its more of a preference than anything

Reactions: Devilinside
That’s where the years of preparing for his podcasts have really set him up well for success. His podcasts are amazing and he knows everything about the guys who he is speaking with every episode. He prepares like he did playing the game.

Great point. I haven't listened to a ton of his podcasts but when I did it was obvious he'd done his homework beforehand.

It's remarkable how quickly he's become a mainstay on First Take with Stephen A. Gasbag.

Yep, he's no Larry Bird....

Also two different eras of basketball. Where Bird and Magic were iconic in their time the game has also evolved. JJ speaks of players and their play in the current NBA. I liked the comments he made on get up this morning with Perk on Tatum . Thought they were spot on . He’s highly regarded and continues to grow in the field .

Reactions: youngman42
The debate isn't "who is better, Doncic or Bird/Magic?" It was Max saying that Doncic doesn't make his teammates better, the way Magic and Bird did. JJ is simply saying that those two had so much more around them that they were more inclined to spread it around, where Doncic is playing with waaay less talent, so he takes more shots himself rather than setting others up. I agree with JJ on this point.

I love JJ but he is a little too much of a millennial for me (and I’m a millennial). Little too much disrespect of past players and giving too much credit to players of today. Defense (or lack there of) and rules on how to play defense have changed a lot over the past 20 years which inflates all these guys numbers today. Makes them look unstoppable offensively. He never acknowledges that. Comparing bird and magic to Luca is a little ridiculous to me. His comparison of Cousy and Kyrie was also stupid. Loved JJ as a player but I feel like he, occasionally, just says ridiculous things just to say ridiculous things as a commentator.

I had the great honour to watch the Celtics of the 80s in person at least one hundred times. Bird was not fast, but he was as quick as any player for two steps. Even Jordan. And the strength of his hands and wrists was incredible. I don't know why you couldn't see it on TV.

Redick knows infinitely more than I about the modern game, but he never saw Bird in person. You would think that watching on TV would tell the entire story, but it doesn't. I'm not sure why

No, JJ didn’t compare anyone to Bird. But, he is taking shots at the players from previous generations, calling some of them plumbers. I get that he wants to talk up the generation he played in, but he has gone too far with some of his comments.

Even if he is a former Duke player.

Reactions: mbdfan
Bird made everyone better and made people like McHale and Ainge and Johnson want to come and play with him. The Celtics were bad when the they drafted him. They experienced a big downturn in the late 70's. The Lakers were pretty average as well, finishing third in their division before Magic. They got the #1 pick in the Gail Goodrich trade.

Reactions: geddoughton23
Bird made everyone better and made people like McHale and Ainge and Johnson want to come and play with him. The Celtics were bad when the they drafted him. They experienced a big downturn in the late 70's. The Lakers were pretty average as well, finishing third in their division before Magic. They got the #1 pick in the Gail Goodrich trade.
Fascinating! Goodrich was one of my favorite players. I don't remember the trade. He's a lefty like I am. I played him in racquetball once. He pummeled me. He was nice before and after the match, but owned me on the court

I looked it up. I was curious how good the Lakers were the year before Magic. I didn't really get into basketball until Magic and Bird were rookies. If memory serves Bird and Magic were rookies together. Magic came out after his soph. year. I vaguely remember the Bird/ Magic showdown in the national championship. I had Sports Illustrated so I read all about it the next week. My first NCAA tournament was when Louisville beat UCLA for the title in 80 as well. (one of two reasons I hate Louisville) Kenny Loggin's This is It was the theme song of the tournament. (A much better song than the One Shining Moment schmaltzfest haha)

Last edited:
Wow Quin Synder stepping down as Jazz coach. Do we have an assistant coach opening? He didn't give a reason but it sounded like he's just burnt out.

While I agree that Bird is an all time top 10/5 player, I do see the point that Bird had a better team.

Nevertheless, Doncic has a ways to go to be in Bird’s class, relative to the opposition talent. Doncic is not yet even top 10 talent.

All that said, my main point was that he has quickly become a great analyst. Even if there are disagreements I may have with him.

there is not an analyst in any sport with whom any one of us probably has not disagreed.

I think JJ will turn out to be one of the great analysts in the game over the next 15+ years. If he so chooses. I’d love to see him call some Duke games. He’d be great.

Reactions: Devilinside
Did anyone catch JJ on the new Bob Costas show? That cliwn Bomoni Jones went into his "you can't talk ro me about racism because I'm black" routine and JJ shut him down beautifully defending K at one time too. I remember a time Jones couldn't stop telling the audience that Mac Mclung was white simply because hes athletic and nobody told him to shut up. I couldn't believe it

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT