ADVERTISEMENT

Jim Boeheim retires

christophero

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
May 2, 2017
Big news. The school just announced this. Adrian Autry to take over. Was he forced out? He didn't sound too happy in the post game presser. (Not that he ever does recently) Grumpy as he was the last few years I've always liked him and thought he did a great job at Syracuse. Won a title with Carmelo and nearly won another title. Had some really good teams during the Pearl Washington/ Billy Owens / Derrick Coleman years. Wonder how this effects the Cuse going forward. K, Roy, Jim, Brey. The times they are a changin.

Big news. The school just announced this. Adrian Autry to take over. Was he forced out? He didn't sound too happy in the post game presser. (Not that he ever does recently) Grumpy as he was the last few years I've always liked him and thought he did a great job at Syracuse. Won a title with Carmelo and nearly won another title. Had some really good teams during the Pearl Washington/ Billy Owens / Derrick Coleman years. Wonder how this effects the Cuse going forward. K, Roy, Jim, Brey. The times they are a changin.
Are you sure Huckleberry is retired? He's still at every game

5 Final Fours, 1 National Title, 10 Big East first place finishes, 5 BE Tournaments. Over 1,000 wins. Tons of competitive teams, always there as a threat, had some bad luck years like we all know as Duke fans. (They got a #1 seed in 2010, but had lost that starting big guy to injury)They were a terrific team. Jim Boeheim is an institution and by all accounts and great career. Can be whiney and snarky but a smart man and always interesting to hear speak. And can’t forget his Olympic accomplishments, K and Jim had an Olympic partnership that did incredible things. I know there’s been a few dark clouds up there but nowhere near Teflon Billy out in Lawrence so Jim is fine in my book. Kudos to him and their fans on 47 years of excellent College Basketball.

Wow, will he accept an NIT bid or a CBI bid if offered? You would think he would want to go out better than a quarterfinals loss in the conference tourney.

Hamilton is just an all around great coach and mentor.

I think Jim told them, if you want me gone fire me I don’t care . Given his press conference.
It’s the changing of the guard . The old don’t want to adapt to the new .

Lost all respect for Jim after he acted out in Cameron. Cuse will end up a footnote
I know he looked foolish, but there was no mistaking his passion for the game and his team. I actually kind of miss the days of the old ACC when every game had the coaches going ballistic - Jimmy V was particularly fun to watch. Same with Gary Williams - i found his screaming at his 3rd stringers who never played a minute whenever his starters made a bad play hysterical - it was his whining in the press conference that I found tiresome. And Coach k wasn’t a shrinking violet either. Anyway, I’ll miss Boeheim, but it was clear he had lost his passion, and was time for a change.

Lost all respect for Jim after he acted out in Cameron. Cuse will end up a footnote
This, and how he handled his son's on the court issues. I don't have much use for him. As a side note; when will Georgetown get rid of Ewing? His record is atrocious. His name has bought him far too much good will at Georgetown. I loved Ewing as a player but man, for whatever reasons his teams cannot seem to perform.

Unlike Coach K, who was at the very top of his game until the end, Boeheim stayed a little too long. I understand wanting to coach his sons, and they turned out to be good, but I think that killed his recruiting.

I remember Autry as a player. Hopefully he'll abandon the 3-2 and play a defense that gets his players ready for the pros. That will help his recruiting.

It's no secret that the ACC has gone downhill because the coaching legends have either retired or left for other places. The young ones (except for ours) haven't started recruiting at the level of the other major conferences. We may be seeing a down trend for a while. It's a shame.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Unlike Coach K, who was at the very top of his game until the end, Boeheim stayed a little too long. I understand wanting to coach his sons, and they turned out to be good, but I think that killed his recruiting.

I remember Autry as a player. Hopefully he'll abandon the 3-2 and play a defense that gets his players ready for the pros. That will help his recruiting.

It's no secret that the ACC has gone downhill because the coaching legends have either retired or left for other places. The young ones (except for ours) haven't started recruiting at the level of the other major conferences. We may be seeing a down trend for a while. It's a shame.

Hasn’t been that long since he had a team in the Final Four though. (2016) one of the craziest games I’ll always remember that he was involved in was the six overtime game in the BE quarterfinal vs ole Jimmy C and UConn in 2009. It was 127-117. The game started at 9:30 and ended well after 1 am. Absolutely nuts. The Cuse won.

Hasn’t been that long since he had a team in the Final Four though. (2016) one of the craziest games I’ll always remember that he was involved in was the six overtime game in the BE quarterfinal vs ole Jimmy C and UConn in 2009. It was 127-117. The game started at 9:30 and ended well after 1 am. Absolutely nuts. The Cuse won.
One of the best games I’ve ever watched. I think each team had two Walk on’s on the court in the last two overtime’s .

Boeheim is a Big East guy, and was never the same guy once they were put in the ACC. He was sharp, salty, and entertaining. He didn't adapt, and that hurt him. But, he stayed true to who he is.
These coaches that are the in your face, type A personalities are going to struggle in this day and time. Can't coach the way they did 10-15 years ago. He and K both stayed too long.

There is a definite vibe on the Syracuse board that he should have retired 5 years ago. This season was the last straw for many of them. Mike Hopkins may be fired from Washington; I wonder if they asked him. Hopkins was Pac 12 coach of the year, but his last few teams have been bad.

I find it hilarious when people say K stayed too long. Dude, is a roll and a bad call away, and Zion missing a defensive assignment from going to the FF in '18 & '19. I'd bet the farm on the '20 team winning the ACC tournament and making a deep run in the tournament if not for covid, '21 is an anomaly, and Duke won the regular season championship last year, made it to the title game, and was one play away from a national title match up with Kansas. But yeah, K stayed too long.

I find it hilarious when people say K stayed too long. Dude, is a roll and a bad call away, and Zion missing a defensive assignment from going to the FF in '18 & '19. I'd bet the farm on the '20 team winning the ACC tournament and making a deep run in the tournament if not for covid, '21 is an anomaly, and Duke won the regular season championship last year, made it to the title game, and was one play away from a national title match up with Kansas. But yeah, K stayed too long.
I like you bleed, but totally disagree. Loved K, he is one of the greatest ever, but I feel he stayed a few too long. We've beat the Zion team to death. One camp says we were a missed assignment away, yet those same posters fail to acknowledge we were also a (very fortunate) missed alley oop from Dawkins son to not getting out of the 1st weekend. That's with arguably the best 2 players in college basketball.
He wasn't as sharp at 70+ as when he was 50. But, the talent he was getting (due to his career) overrode his losing a step or two.

And his retirement tour screwed our team last season. We were the best team, but they couldn't handle the circus that was at every game.

Reactions: KDSTONE
I like you bleed, but totally disagree. Loved K, he is one of the greatest ever, but I feel he stayed a few too long. We've beat the Zion team to death. One camp says we were a missed assignment away, yet those same posters fail to acknowledge we were also a (very fortunate) missed alley oop from Dawkins son to not getting out of the 1st weekend. That's with arguably the best 2 players in college basketball.
He wasn't as sharp at 70+ as when he was 50. But, the talent he was getting (due to his career) overrode his losing a step or two.

And his retirement tour screwed our team last season. We were the best team, but they couldn't handle the circus that was at every game.
We'll just have to agree to disagree, man. I think we're too selective with his last few years. Most coaches in their prime won't sniff what K did between '14-'22.

I do get a lot of "why didn't you guys win the title with Zion and RJ?" questions from non Duke fans. We did very good, but a LOT of NBA talent went through that door without a title. Thank God for 2015. Coach K's " crazy run from 88-94 was hard to top. We were in the FF every year. But he had an incredible career, and if we make another FF this year it will be tough to argue with the formula. We just had too many borderline guys leave early. But we're in the hunt most years, which is about all you can ask for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac9192
He aged out of the gane, and I don't mean his actual age. He has an absolute refusal to change.

After his 2nd place finish in his ACC debut I don't think he has been better than 6th in the league.

His defense got figured out and gets rocked worse every year. He gets an at-large bid and wins because of sticking to his defense.

But the writing has been on the wall for awhile that he cannot continue to win like that.

Seems like he'd be an asshole to know as well.

He didnt have the guards for a good zone the last few years.
Girard is a terrible defender.

But, did K do that for Scheyer's benefit? Scheyer was bettered prepared for the season because of last year. He got a lot of growing iut of the way to allow more growth in other areas this season.

As for Hamilton great coach until he has a timeout...

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
But, did K do that for Scheyer's benefit? Scheyer was bettered prepared for the season because of last year. He got a lot of growing iut of the way to allow more growth in other areas this season.

As for Hamilton great coach until he has a timeout...
I don’t think so. Believe he stuck around one more year due to Paolo. He was a stud. Right up there with Zion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT