ADVERTISEMENT

How old were you when you can remember the 1st controversy in sports.

skysdad

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 3, 2006
Maybe my answer will help understand the question. I was 9 years old and like my dad I was a Yankee fan. It was 1961 and the home run race between Maris and Mantle. I was a Mantle fan and my dad decided to pUllman for underdog Maris. I remember how we would grab the evening paper ( no ESPN or FOX SPORTS ) in those days just the paper or if the CBS evening news gave an update. The thing I remember most is how the majority of fans were pulling for Mantle and even at a young age I knew that he was the unpopular one. It took a toll on him. Mantle got hurt and Maris pulled away and won the home run title , broke Babe Ruth's season record and the sports world gave Roger the *. As I grew and remained a Yankee fan, Mantle got older, Maris got cancer and passed I grew to love Roger Maris and what he went through. I found out that Macky and Roger weren't just only friends but we're room mates. I was saddened to witness both of their passings. Micky is still my Yankee ever and had the opportunity to witness his funeral on ESPN. I think now that both talk about season 1961 when they visit each other in Heaven. By the way how many of you have seen the movie '61. DanGeddes I just realized I'mean getting just as bad as DSouthr on my post. OFC

Maybe my answer will help understand the question. I was 9 years old and like my dad I was a Yankee fan. It was 1961 and the home run race between Maris and Mantle. I was a Mantle fan and my dad decided to pUllman for underdog Maris. I remember how we would grab the evening paper ( no ESPN or FOX SPORTS ) in those days just the paper or if the CBS evening news gave an update. The thing I remember most is how the majority of fans were pulling for Mantle and even at a young age I knew that he was the unpopular one. It took a toll on him. Mantle got hurt and Maris pulled away and won the home run title , broke Babe Ruth's season record and the sports world gave Roger the *. As I grew and remained a Yankee fan, Mantle got older, Maris got cancer and passed I grew to love Roger Maris and what he went through. I found out that Macky and Roger weren't just only friends but we're room mates. I was saddened to witness both of their passings. Micky is still my Yankee ever and had the opportunity to witness his funeral on ESPN. I think now that both talk about season 1961 when they visit each other in Heaven. By the way how many of you have seen the movie '61. DanGeddes I just realized I'mean getting just as bad as DSouthr on my post. OFC
It’s been quite awhile since I’ve seen it but I love the movie 61*. Barry Pepper that played Roger Maris also played Dale Earnhardt Sr in the movie 3: The Dale Earnhardt Story which was also a really good movie.

Reactions: skysdad
it happened later in life, but it’s effect reached back to my childhood. The steroid scandal ruined baseball for me. I used to watch games all the time, keep up with stats, knew just about every major player (thanks to video games), etc. After I found out all the guys I grew up watching were actually on steroids (sans Frank Thomas my favorite player) I stopped following baseball all together. I’ll still go to games is SF and SEA just bc it’s a cool atmosphere, but I don’t follow it at all.

Jordan leaving the NBA to play baseball.
Even though I believe the theory that he was gonna get suspended a full year by David Stern for gambling on games, that’s why he actually went to play baseball.

The first sports controversy I can remember was in '97 when Mike Tyson bit Holyfield's ear off. I was seven years old at the time and it was one of those moments we all have as a kid when you're like, "Hmmm. Okay. Weird. Apparently that is something that can happen in life that I hadn't heretofore considered." LOL

Not really a controversy, but the first big thing I remember in sports was the 1980 miracle on ice when we beat Russia for the hockey gold. I was 14.

The first sports controversy I can remember was in '97 when Mike Tyson bit Holyfield's ear off. I was seven years old at the time and it was one of those moments we all have as a kid when you're like, "Hmmm. Okay. Weird. Apparently that is something that can happen in life that I hadn't heretofore considered." LOL

I was 7 too my parents and some friends ordered the fight and I fell asleep in the floor. Wish I woulda stayed up

Reactions: skysdad and Neners
The first sports controversy that I remember is when Pete Rose was banned from Baseball for gambling. I was 12 or 13.

I started watching college basketball during the hanstravel era. So probably my first Unc game I ever watched. Couldn’t believe all the walks he got away with. Still can’t.

I'm still trying to understand how Beaker Hansbrough was allowed to play college ball for 4 years. Can we give schollys to muppets now?

Curt Flood challenging baseball's reserve clause in 1969. Even though he lost his lawsuit and was vilified, we all know the long-lasting effects of his stance.
OFC

Does the Magic Johnson AIDS announcement count? I know my friends an I in the neighborhood were shocked. We were running to each other's house asking if we had heard the news.

1976 Olympics in Montreal...all the swimming medals won by the East German women.most of them looked like male Neanderthals they were so doped up.Every one knew they were all on steroids,but nothing was done as drug testing was done by your own federation at that time,it wasn't till the fall of the Berlin wall that the truth finally came out

Good stuff all. I have forgotten a lot of these. OFC

I was gonna mention US Olympic Hockey and Magic Johnson too.

Not so much a controversy, but what about the Michigan Fab Five vs. UNC and the infamous Weber timeout at the end of the game to seal it for UNC?

Maybe that's why Roy likes to keep his timeouts on the board?? :D

Wow....this is a tough one. I vaguely remember the SMU scandal in the mid-80s. I didn't know specifics, but I remember it being a huge deal back then.

The one I remember the most, apart from it not really being a scandal (except for in Minnesota), was the famous Herschel Walker trade....it sank the Vikings franchise and was the catapult for the Cowboys dominance in the 90s. Yuck.

T'he earliest ones i vaguely remember along with Maris and Mantle (I was always a big Maris fan) was when Paul Hornung and Alex Karras were suspended from the NFL for gambling (I think it was at the same time) and of course Cassius Clay becoming Muhammed Ali. I really had mixed emotions about that whole thing with Ali. I thought he was a really cool athlete but wished that real life politics and religion didn't mix with sports. It seems the world hasn't changed too much since we still have the same controversy going on.

Wow....this is a tough one. I vaguely remember the SMU scandal in the mid-80s. I didn't know specifics, but I remember it being a huge deal back then.

The one I remember the most, apart from it not really being a scandal (except for in Minnesota), was the famous Herschel Walker trade....it sank the Vikings franchise and was the catapult for the Cowboys dominance in the 90s. Yuck.
LOL

Will, you need to be careful bringing up things like this to Sky. He gets a little emotional, remember he was just a teenager during the Great Depression.
I'm not worried. He'll forget I even posted it in about five minutes.
OFC

Come on guys. Let's take it easy on Sky and his age. I'm not going to get on here and use age as an insult vs this fine man.....but I was told he handed David the rock.

Last edited:
Come on guys. Let's take it easy on Sky and his age. I'm not going to get on here and use age as an insult vs this fine man.....but I was told he handed the David the rock.
It's all in fun, and Sky can handle it. I love the guy (and I just might be older then he is...I'm not sure).
OFC

I remember Jordan staying out til 3 AM gambling in Atlantic City the night/morning before playing the Knicks in the 1993 Eastern Conference Finals. I was 8 at the time.

The one that really stings for me was when the Orioles were playing the Yankees in the 96 ALCS, winning 4-3 in the bottom of the 8th of game 1. Jeter hit a deep ball to right field and Tony Tarasco was on the warning track, but he appeared to have enough room to catch the ball. As the ball was coming down, ready to fall in the glove of Tarasco, suddenly a 12 year-old kid reaches out, from the stands, and catches the ball. An obvious call for fan interference - Jeter was awarded a home run, and the Yankees end up winning game 1 in extra winnings. The whole dynamic of the series changed. What would have happened if the Orioles went to Baltimore with a 2-0 lead, instead of a 1-1 tie? Idk. But that was a very bad no-call and it took a number of years for me to get over it.

maier-alcs96.jpg

The first thing that I remember was the USA boycotting the 1980 Olympics. I was 6 or 7. The grownups talked about it a lot.

Come on guys. Let's take it easy on Sky and his age. I'm not going to get on here and use age as an insult vs this fine man.....but I was told he handed David the rock.

I remember it well smashmouth. David was a little order than I was and I really looked up to him. Just like in the movie "The Natural" He said pick me out a good one skysdad. He took that sling and it was dead center forehead. He must have sunk that stone in about 3". I told him "this is gonna make you famous someday Dave. " Just goes to show you just never know. OFC

I remember it well smashmouth. David was a little order than I was and I really looked up to him. Just like in the movie "The Natural" He said pick me out a good one skysdad. He took that sling and it was dead center forehead. He must have sunk that stone in about 3". I told him "this is gonna make you famous someday Dave. " Just goes to show you just never know. OFC

roll.r191677.gif
Bravo! Hahahaha And to think! He knew you'd be skysdad before you were skysdad!

The first thing I can remember was the controversy involving Sonny Liston in 1965 when he reportedly threw the match to Cassius Clay by refusing to answer the bell in the second round. I was 15 years old.

The first thing I can remember was the controversy involving Sonny Liston in 1965 when he reportedly threw the match to Cassius Clay by refusing to answer the bell in the second round. I was 15 years old.
That's is a good one gotta. I remember that. Just think if that happened today. OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT