ADVERTISEMENT

Harry Giles Article....

He wants to go to a school where he'll immediately compete for a national title? Guess that rules out UNC!

It seems we're in pretty good shape with Mr. Giles. As I don't keep up with recruiting much, just what I see on here, does anyone think Wake Forest has a legit chance at getting Giles? I don't think the odds of winning a title there are that good.

OFC

If his goal to win a national championship in his first year and possibly his only year in college then in my opinion that probably will eliminate 3 schools: Wake Forest, UNLV and UNC.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
If he's sincere about winning a title, Wake shouldn't even be on his radar; it's almost like Tatum's situation with St Louis: he might like the pizza there and have legacy at the school, but they wouldn't go anywhere besides at best a first round knockout in the NCAA tourney if not NIT bound

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
If he's sincere about winning a title, Wake shouldn't even be on his radar; it's almost like Tatum's situation with St Louis: he might like the pizza there and have legacy at the school, but they wouldn't go anywhere besides at best a first round knockout in the NCAA tourney if not NIT bound
Giles is serious about winning. He knows he is good enough to go and accomplish individual things, wherever. He is more of a big picture guy.

Don't underestimate Duke getting Tatum either. That is a big factor for Giles.

Reactions: Mark Gastineau
I think Tatum really considered St. Louis and, IMO, tried to convince himself it wouldn't be a bad option. But I think the positives at Duke just so outweighed what he could do at St. Louis that in the end he knew the best choice for himself.

Do I think Giles is "considering" Wake Forest? Yeah, probably. Is he serious about it? He might just be. But don't take that to mean they're on the cusp to land him or even that they're a serious contender for his services. I just think that when push comes down to shove Giles will follow his heart....and it won't lead him to Winston-Salem. I'm cautiously optimistic we get him eventually, but for now I'm just going to let it play out.

I just have the feeling Tatum and Giles will be part of our 6th Championship. They'll play a huge part in topping off K's legacy at Duke. i think this season takes us to the FF, then boom.

FWIW I think Danny will turn Wake around and will be awesome at wake. Also Winston natives really LOVE winston Salem and hate leaving it.

But that all said, I think he'll wear the best blue, not stupid tye dye

Reactions: DukeDenver
I think we're favorite right now....but the ups and downs of recruiting can change in a heartbeat. While ultimately I think he chooses the correct shade of blue, I'm still apprehensive to completely shut the door on UNC.

I'm still apprehensive to completely shut the door on UNC.
Not me. If he's committed to winning a national title, UNC will not be an option. The cupboard will be empty in Chapel Hill next season (Justin Jackson should go pro to avoid the upcoming disaster in 2016-16), especially after Roy Williams bombs out again on this upcoming recruiting cycle.

You're a better man than me in that regard Mark....but I hope like hell you're right on all of those fronts. I think we can both agree that UNCs misery brings both of us a little joy.

Reactions: Mark Gastineau
With Giles, I think it depends a lot on when he comes to a final decision. If he makes a decision by Nov., I think it's Duke all the way. If he stretches the decisionmaking process out to the spring, then it's a lot less clear -- b/c UNC's probably going to have a very strong season, will probably have some of their NCAA issues resolved, and a little bit of the immediate afterglow of our national title will wear off a bit. I'd still guess Duke, but then I think it's an actual battle. At this point, I think it's pretty much all Duke.

b/c UNC's probably going to have a very strong season
While possible, I don't see how this affects recruits for next season. Paige, Johnson, and likely Jackson are all gone. If Giles is serious about winning a national title, UNC will have to offer him a better supporting cast than Meeks, Pinson, Berry, and Hicks.

FWIW I think Danny will turn Wake around and will be awesome at wake. Also Winston natives really LOVE winston Salem and hate leaving it.

But that all said, I think he'll wear the best blue, not stupid tye dye

IMO, no chance Wake can pull a kid like Giles until they actually show some progress on the court. It's pretty hard to believe, but Wake has finished with 13 or fewer wins in 4 of the past 5 seasons and made only 2 NCAA tourneys in 10 seasons -- i.e., Giles is probably way too young to even remember the days of Chris Paul or Josh Howard, let alone Tim Duncan. As much as some in the area mock State, at this point, Wake is not even on State's level -- let alone close to Duke or UNC.

While possible, I don't see how this affects recruits for next season. Paige, Johnson, and likely Jackson are all gone. If Giles is serious about winning a national title, UNC will have to offer him a better supporting cast than Meeks, Pinson, Berry, and Hicks.

Winning always helps. Just look at HB selecting UNC over Duke after the 09 title or Ingram selecting Duke over UNC after the 14 title. In both cases, the prospect picked the program that arguably had the worse (and definitely less proven supporting cast), but the glow of the title, over the squad that looked ready-made to compete for a title. Beyond the NCAA issue, I think UNC badly needs a major run in the NCAAs just to remind people that it can still compete at the highest level. It's hard to believe, but UNC hasn't made a final four in 6 years and has lost double digit games in 4 of the past 6 years. In that same time, Duke's won two titles and Coach K has won a couple Olympic golds. In the minds of 17 year old kid, I think UNC needs to make a mark just to remind them that UNC is not predestined to consistently lose to Duke -- which has basically been the trend since Hansbrough left Chapel Hill.

I saw him again this morning. He flew out of Greensboro about 2 weeks ago headed out to Colorado Springs. He flew out again this morning but he wasn't on one of our flights. He was on US Air this time.

Meet Harry Giles last weekend at the CP3 live showcase basketball tourney. I coach an AAU team 15u out of durham/ Raleigh. My team had played in the championship game that sunday, in walks Giles and Kwe parker. Me being a huge duke fan I decided to introduce m myself and asked about recruiting..... he seemed like a very humble kid and even took a picture with 2 of my players. He asked for a water and jokingly replied only if you commit to Duke lol

Reactions: DukeDenver
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT