ADVERTISEMENT

Grayson Allen

"it was just one game" - THR

By the way, i will never stop getting chills at his bucket and the foul when he gets up and yells AND 1 (and also the diving on the floor, "LETS GO!")

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
8 minutes of:
Thornton, Grayson, Ingram, Amile and Jeter. [draw fouls and get back]
4 minutes of:
Thornton, Kennard, Matt Jones, Plumlee, Obi [3 and re.]
4 minutes of:
Thornton, Grayson, Kennard, Ingram, Jeter [buckets]
4 minutes of:
Grayson, Matt Jones, Ingram, Amile, Plumlee [floor slapping]
REPEAT

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
4 minutes of:
Thornton, Grayson, Kennard, Ingram, Jeter [buckets]
REPEAT
This was the one I'm most interested in seeing just because it could be so explosive. I don't think I see a starting lineup that doesn't have Matt and Amile, but this lineup would be a lot of fun to watch.

This was the one I'm most interested in seeing just because it could be so explosive. I don't think I see a starting lineup that doesn't have Matt and Amile, but this lineup would be a lot of fun to watch.

Grayson Allen is a gifted athlete who made increasingly important contributions as the season progressed culminating in heroics in the championship game. That being said, it will be interesting to see if Luke Kennard and he will be paying the same position next year or will they be in the floor together? Kennard-type scorers don't come along very often. I can't see how Kennard spends much time on the bench, that is, unless he doesn't pay the price and play good defense.

The trio of Thornton, Allen and Kennard won't be on the floor together all that much, as they are our only three ball handlers. Luke will likely pick up the 20 minutes not used by Thornton and Grayson (each getting in the neighborhood of 30 each).

One thing I'm wary of is Grayson adjusting to a bigger role. He plays with zero fear of injury, sometimes leaping into risky situstions, which is not sustainable playing heavy minutes all year. Winslow made this crucial adjustment after he got hurt, and we know that worked out.

The trio of Thornton, Allen and Kennard won't be on the floor together all that much, as they are our only three ball handlers. Luke will likely pick up the 20 minutes not used by Thornton and Grayson (each getting in the neighborhood of 30 each)...QUOTE]

Which is precisely the reason you will see them on the floor together. The best players play. Period. Not putting your three best ball-handlers on the floor together so that one can come off of the bench is the reason a lot of coaches get fired. Not picking on your opinion, but from a coaching perspective, they would be on the floor for that very reason and they could be subbed in and out when needed. K doesn't platoon, so they won't have to leave together.

I think Matt Jones and Ingram will play enough '3' to ensure our trio of ball handlers see less than 10 mpg together. As far as them being the best three guards next season, we don't exactly know that yet. Matt Jones has had his moments.

i like thornton and allen starting w/ kennard subbing in for either...when its allen and kennard its pg by committe.....80 minutes btween 3 guys (28/30/22)......matt/ingram @ the sf w/ some 2 for matt and some 4 for ingram....id like amile paired w/ obi and plumlee paired w/ jeter....excited to see how coach k orchestrates things

Reactions: DukeDenver
Remember THR said Allen only had one good game and won't be much of a factor next season.......

OFC

Could it be that this is one of the few years that K consistently plays 8 or 9 in the rotation beyond December?

we will see...hopefully thats how it starts which would make it easier to continue...i believe each player next season brings tremendous assests....plum/amile experience and leadership....obi forceful aggressiveness....kennard shooting/iq....jeter defense/length/skillset....ingram everything....matt headiness....allen chance to blow up....thornton keys to the beamer=)

I think we are in for a big step up for Allen. He will be looked to this year and the kid has the mentality to thrive in that role. Also, the kid goes 110% every time he is one the court. Even if he makes a bad play, you know it was not lack of effort.

Grayson will be one of the most loved Duke players ever to play at Duke which means he will be one of the most hated Duke players ever to play at Duke for UNC fans. :D I hope he doesn't transfer.;) OFC

I think we are in for a big step up for Allen. He will be looked to this year and the kid has the mentality to thrive in that role. Also, the kid goes 110% every time he is one the court. Even if he makes a bad play, you know it was not lack of effort.

Yep....I think Allen can be very, very good. He has just about all of the physical tools.

The one area I worry, and it was mentioned above by another poster, is that sometimes he does play with reckless abandon. That can be both a good and bad thing.

That said, I think Grayson knew his role this past season and accepted it. He had to do those sorts of things. That's what he was relied on to do. Next year, even as a sophomore, he's going to be looked at entirely different....potentially even as a leader.

Yep....I think Allen can be very, very good. He has just about all of the physical tools.

The one area I worry, and it was mentioned above by another poster, is that sometimes he does play with reckless abandon. That can be both a good and bad thing.

That said, I think Grayson knew his role this past season and accepted it. He had to do those sorts of things. That's what he was relied on to do. Next year, even as a sophomore, he's going to be looked at entirely different....potentially even as a leader.
Agreed with all of that DJ, especially the last line. He's got the credentials now after his final 4 play that people have to respect and look up to him.

Agreed with all of that DJ, especially the last line. He's got the credentials now after his final 4 play that people have to respect and look up to him.

Grayson will be one of those players that we will love 3 out of 4 games and that 1 game here or there where all the flamers here will want his head. But you cant teach aggression. You either have it or you dont. K will know how to mold Allen to maintain his aggressive style but playing smarter by tournament time.

I will never forget his performance in the 2nd half of that Natty. That alone should have bought him enough credits for the rest of his career at Duke and when he does have a bonehead moment I will just think back to that 2nd half....and grin.

Reactions: skysdad and dbav
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT