ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

So nice article on the rivals camp in Charlotte Sunday. They actually had really good things to say about our QB commit. Showed a strong and accurate arm and has a good release. Also plays catcher for his school so has that short and strong motion. They said he was a Wr that has moved into the QB spot and is a very good athlete. Although they didn't run a 40 the rivals crew estimated that he would be about a 4.6 so very quick.

Reactions: smashmouth5
Don't blame you for making this a premium content story Conor. This was the kind of topic on every serious (and even casual), Duke football fan's mind as we entered spring practice.

Manny Diaz mentioned the successful spring of Grayson Loftis thus far on "ACC PM" this week. He acknowledged Maalik Murphy was not the only capable qb available. I can't help but think when the dust settles, Murphy will be Duke's starter. I think Manny knew so when he landed MM.

It's just a guess, but if this scenario unfolds, we will be very fortunate IMHO, to keep Grayson.

OFC

There are so many things in the air about our QB room. We have 3 guys that have won games already and they are all sophomores/red shirt sophs. Kinda crazy to have that much talent at Duke. I actually really like Henry but I think he is still trying to get to 100 percent with his shoulder injury. Loftis seems to be taking a step up which is great. Murphy has come in from a big time program and has a heck of an arm. It will be fun to watch how all this plays out. I think loftis stays one more year because he chose Duke when we he was looking at the bench behind Riley for at least two years of he had stayed. I just feel like he likes Duke. Plus it is hard for a QB to stay healthy through a season so I think he will get time on the field this year.

So what will Henry do if he is odd man out?

I can see a path to playing both Grayson and Maalik during the season in different situations (though neither fits the Connette package criteria), but disaster has to happen to get to the third QB. Not that that hasn't happened before.

We also need to start looking to the next group of QBs since we all know that players come and go with regularity.

Well we just got a QB commit so that is already happening. When he gets here next year all these guys will be in a version of their jr years. I still think we might go after one more QB in this cycle. You really want at least 4 on your roster and this way we are covered if one transfers out. What is weird for us right now is that all 3 of our guys are all the same year. You really want more of a "ladder" in their years of eligibility. If Reilly had stayed it would have been better for that but when he quit it changed us up and Murphy was just to big to say no to. Henry is interesting in the fact that his younger brother is one our top dline recruits and has already been to campus multiple times. Would he transfer when his brother might be coming here? God I love football recruiting

Don't blame you for making this a premium content story Conor. This was the kind of topic on every serious (and even casual), Duke football fan's mind as we entered spring practice.

Manny Diaz mentioned the successful spring of Grayson Loftis thus far on "ACC PM" this week. He acknowledged Maalik Murphy was not the only capable qb available. I can't help but think when the dust settles, Murphy will be Duke's starter. I think Manny knew so when he landed MM.

It's just a guess, but if this scenario unfolds, we will be very fortunate IMHO, to keep Grayson.

OFC
I’d assume that Manny would keep the QB officially a toss-up right up to the beginning of the season - it would certainly make it harder for the 2nd string designee to leave at that point. And in any event, as pointed out, QB injuries are pretty common - I’d bet both Loftis and Murphy get a fair amount of PT due to that.

Last edited:
I’d assume that Manny would keep the QB officially a toss-up right up to the beginning of the season - it would certainly make it harder for the 2nd string designee to leave at that point. And in any event, as pointed out, QB injuries are pretty common - I’d bet both Loftis and Murphy get a fair amount of PT due to that.
I hope so jeffrey. I think both those guys have tremendous upsides. Loftis' performance at Chapel Hill gets overlooked last year, as the young man went wild!!

Had the refs not stole another one, Duke wins game in regulation!! Loftis would have received the acclaim he richly deserved.

I do think Maalik Murphy has
inside track on the job. Saw pic on twitter yesterday of Maalik at a fancy Durham area steak- house. He had taken his O-Line (seated w/him at table), out for dinner.

I can't read Manny's mind, but I would bet good coin MM will be starting under center (barring injury), vs Elon. I think Coach is used to a more athletic dual threat at qb, and Murphy looks to fill that bill a bit more than Grayson.

Just a hunch. OFC

I agree, hart, Malik likely has the inside track. Between having a strong arm, and exceptional size for a college QB, he looks like the man. But I’ll be confident we have a very good backup, at least for this year.

I’m looking forward to watching the Blue-White Scrimmage tonight. 6 pm on the ACC Network!

Reactions: hart2chesson
I agree, hart, Malik likely has the inside track. Between having a strong arm, and exceptional size for a college QB, he looks like the man. But I’ll be confident we have a very good backup, at least for this year.

I’m looking forward to watching the Blue-White Scrimmage tonight. 6 pm on the ACC Network!
Cannot wait for tonite jeffrey!!!

OFC

Wonder why Belin didn't play at all. Is he still hurt?

I though Loftis was more accurate than Murphy but it seems to be Murphy's job to lose

Thanks Conor. Yes it was apparent Maalik needs to work on his touch. The pass to Moore was easy, he just uncorked a rock, when he could have dropped in a pebble. The upside and potential are there, however.

I was watching with a Duke friend, and outside of the INT, we thought Loftis to be in mid-season form. If this qb derby keeps close, it's going to be difficult for staff to keep Loftis out of starting line-up. Receiver corps looks to be strong. A good OL should allow this crew to score, early and often.

OFC

I agree, Loftis looked very good. He definitely has the better touch between he and Murphy. Perhaps the race is genuine….

I think it is going to come down to what type of QB the staff wants. Murphys arm is strong and he's trying to throw ball down field. Loftis is a one read then check down QB. Murphy needs to learn touch and loftis needs to learn to go at least 2 deep in his reads. Right now both are okay but hopefully they will better in the fall. Belin is still not recovered from his shoulder injury so if he is recovered in the fall it could be an all out race. I personally like Belin better than Loftis.
The big thing will be can we find a couple of online guys in the portal. We are really hurting there. I think we need at least 2 tackles and 1 iol guys by fall practice or it is going to be a moot point who is behind center. They will be getting the QB killed. Also Boggs switched from dline to ol. We shall see how that works out.

While it is somewhat bittersweet, here’s a nice story on ESPN and Notre Dame, with much of it focused on Riley Leonard. I’ll be rooting for him and ND this year, as I don’t think that his transferring to ND will be what holds us back from competing for the playoffs. But if by some chance we meet them, I want to beat their golden a$$e$!

That's a nice article on Leonard and it makes you realize that he had no choice but to transfer. It still hurts though, even though we have at least two good successors at the position.

Given the nature of the scrimmage, it’s hard to evaluate him based on that. But it’s hard to understand why he’d transfer (if for football-related reasons - something else could be at play) when we’re so thin in the OL that he’d have to really be bad not to see serious time there.

I can only assume that the OL coach sees that this young man is not going to play and therefore suggested he move on; or, the young man is not happy with the new coaches. The first seems more likely since Coach Diaz has made it clear he intends to bring in a bunch of additional OL. In that case, I wish Mr. Hubbard the best of luck.

Graham Barton drafted by the Bucs with the 26th overall pick.

He's Duke's first draft pick since 2021; first first-rounder since 2019 (Daniel Jones). Makes it three first-rounders in the last 10 drafts (Laken Tomlinson in 2015).

Announced as a center, which was expected, as the NFL has liked him as an interior OL for a while. He's got experience there, having started at center for Duke in 2020 as a freshman.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT