ADVERTISEMENT

Desire, Toughness and Hunger...can't coach or teach it!

We do run a lot of iso. We have lottery talent every year so it usually works (and attracts top recruits). But we don't seem to have much of a plan B, and if teams figure us out, they have a shot at beating us. Early in the year they don't. We also seem to have a lot of "jack of all trades" guys. Guys that are good at a lot, but not great at one thing. Keels, Moore, AJ, etc. Those guys are great, but maybe we have too many of them? I don't know. The 2015 class was balanced, with the center, wing, shooting guard and point guard. I would love for this team to go on a run to the FF and shut me up. If we had won one of the UNC/VT games I'd feel a lot better, but the fact that we lost both and looked bad doing so has messed with my head. Hopefully these kids have short memories.

Last edited:
Reactions: Liftee
I think the posters have nailed it concerning our offensive scheme. It may work in the NBA, where the playoffs are best-of series, but in one-loss-and-you’re-out college tournaments, one crappy shooting night, or one hot night by the other team, sends you home. I don’t see this team being able to have 6 hot nights of shooting to win it all. On the other hand, if the NCAA format was multiple game series, we’d probably have a few more banners in Cameron.

In 16 of the last 21 years, Duke's offensive efficiency has ranked in the top 10 nationally. It's only been outside the top 20 once in that period (#44 in 2007).

No one is immune from a bad shooting game in the NCAAT.

We do run a lot of iso. We have lottery talent every year so it usually works (and attracts top recruits). But we don't seem to have much of a plan B, and if teams figure us out, they have a shot at beating us. Early in the year they don't. We also seem to have a lot of "jack of all trades" guys. Guys that are good at a lot, but not great at one thing. Keels, Moore, AJ, etc. Those guys are great, but maybe we have too many of them? I don't know. The 2015 class was balanced, with the center, wing, shooting guard and point guard. I would love for this team to go on a run to the FF and shut me up. If we had won one of the UNC/VT games I'd feel a lot better, but the fact that we lost both and looked bad doing so has messed with my head. Hopefully these kids have short memories.
Boeheim does not see us going very far in the tournament, primarily because we are reliant on 3 starting freshmen. Our recent losses bear this out. He says that if anyone could overcome this flaw, it would be K. The tone of his interview, however, is that inexperience may be too steep a hill for even K to climb. The only way we are going to go very far is to get hot and stay hot, not turn the ball over, and keep Banchero off of the 3-point line. We go 6 for 23 against a decent team again, we are out. OFC

Reactions: christophero
I said this in the preseason. I thought due to our youth and shooting we are a sweet 16ish team. I would gladly be wrong if we win it all. I just think it's dicey relying on freshman, no matter how good they are.

Reactions: KDSTONE
Duke must play like they want the win! They can win the entire thing!
So could Cal State Fullerton technically. Neither one is going to happen. I hope this post doesn’t age well but that won’t happen either

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT