ADVERTISEMENT

Dean Smith Award

Willcampbell

Cameron Crazy
Oct 20, 2004
UNC and Basketball Writers Association announced new "Dean Smith Award", to the individual who embodies the spirit etc etc of the late great coach. Could be a coach, player, or anyone associated with college basketball at any level. Any nominees or thoughts?
OFC

UNC and Basketball Writers Association announced new "Dean Smith Award", to the individual who embodies the spirit etc etc of the late great coach. Could be a coach, player, or anyone associated with college basketball at any level. Any nominees or thoughts?
OFC

HOF Coach Roy Williams was to be the first but he turned it down. OFC

Seriously though, how great would it be if K won the inaugural award. It's open to coaches. I want to see it happen.

How does the voting work?

JuFhkb9y.jpg

Seriously though, how great would it be if K won the inaugural award. It's open to coaches. I want to see it happen.

How does the voting work?

HOF Coach Roy Williams and John Swofford will decide. OFC

Reactions: dbav
I guess the pessimist in me is showing (or maybe I'm just burnt out from hearing all the spin coming out of Chapel Hill), but I can't help but to think the UNC public relations juggernaut was behind pushing for this award. At this point I believe that the powers to be at UNC will do anything and everything to keep the perception of the Carolina Way in the media...in order to counter any negativity being directed at the university during this scandal. Whatever it takes to keep those banners waving.

OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: skysdad
Guthridge should get the first award for being Dean's right hand man.

I guess the pessimist in me is showing (or maybe I'm just burnt out from hearing all the spin coming out of Chapel Hill), but I can't help but to think the UNC public relations juggernaut was behind pushing for this award. At this point I believe that the powers to be at UNC will do anything and everything to keep the perception of the Carolina Way in the media...in order to counter any negativity being directed at the university during this scandal. Whatever it takes to keep those banners waving.

OFC

I was thinking the same thing. Look at the names behind all of the award and there's a lot of Tar Heel history there and Bill Guthridge may very well be the first winner with John Swofford next. Just a side bar here for North Carolina residents that are Duke fans that post here. Do you believe if Swofford ran for political office here in N.C. that he would easily win. OFC

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
I think it is very likely some more attempted PR spin during the demise of their cultivated perception and profile. An opportunity for heels and apologists to break their arms patting each other on the back. By acknowledging that I am not discrediting Dean and his accomplishments and importance. But it is what it I'd.

The first award will go to Fats. I mean after all I think he probably has the bank roll to find the cover-up. If you think about it Fats probably has some video of Swofford and other NCAA cronies with some ladies of the night.

The first award will go to Fats. I mean after all I think he probably has the bank roll to find the cover-up. If you think about it Fats probably has some video of Swofford and other NCAA cronies with some ladies of the night.

There are so many former Tar Heels and UNC supporters deserving of this award that it might be 50 or 60 years before some one not associated with the program to receive this award. OFC.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
There are so many former Tar Heels and UNC supporters deserving of this award that it might be 50 or 60 years before some one not associated with the program to receive this award. OFC.

Ain't that the truth, Sky!:D

OFC

Reactions: skysdad
Hey, DevilDJ, what's this pic...it won't show up for me.

I have the same problem with some of yours. I try to tweet most of the ones you do but I can't get 'em to download on my phone. As a matter of fact , I have issues navigating this entire site from my phone. Odd. Anyway , it's a pic of Dean in horizontal black and white stripes makin' off with a bag of loot. lol

I have the same problem with some of yours. I try to tweet most of the ones you do but I can't get 'em to download on my phone. As a matter of fact , I have issues navigating this entire site from my phone. Odd. Anyway , it's a pic of Dean in horizontal black and white stripes makin' off with a bag of loot. lol

Haha, that's pretty cool...wish I could see it. I don't know what's wrong and some pics won't show up. I'm able to see about 90-95% of them, but a few pics don't show for me.

DevilDJ, all my pics are on my 'Photobucket' account...oldasdirtdevil. You can Google Photobucket Oldasdirtdevil and it will bring up my library of pictures and you should be able to see all of them there, and download them if you like any of them.

OFC

I'm thinking maybe the first recipient's may be the entire NCAA committee which the award will be presented within the next month or so. :D OFC

This one needs a laughing smiley, but this will have to do!:D:cool:

OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT