ADVERTISEMENT

Chase Jeter

Wow its going to be a fun upcoming season. I can hardly wait to see our incoming freshmen play. I love the reverse dunk by Jeter.

Reactions: DukeDenver
Once again the players are family. Whatever is going on with Duke basketball lately is rare. Amile looking big (for him).

Reactions: dbav
When I first started following Jeter, I must admit, he wasn't that big of a target for me, he's improving by leaps and bounds now, I'm stoked.

He's a great example of how interesting this upcoming season will be for Duke. There's no Jah down low to pass it into from day 1. But we'll have a really deep team, and as versatile of a team as you can ask for. So many moving parts, and he's one of them. I think he has his moments but if he can continue to get bigger/stronger and learn from the veterans- 2016-17 for him could be special.

No Jah but wow depth.
Marshall is the ultimate team guy and he will do all of the little things. His motor, work ethic and attitude is awesome for the young guys and he is an example of what hard work can do in the weight room. Remember he was a 7-0 skinny kid coming out of HS. He will defend, rebound and communicate. Just a team guy.
Amile is a glue guy. He just gets it done. Timely rebounds, touch D like in the Natl Champ game, can score points and is such a positve leader. Curious to see how his off-season development translates into his Sr year. If he just slightly improves he will have a very good Sr year.
Obi is the X factor guy. He is a very good rebounder and defensive player. One NBAer went as far as saying he was one of the toughest guys to score against that he haas ever played against. Key word is "Ever". No one really knows what to expect from him this year but we all know he is big, extremely strong and a rebounding machine.
Jeter is the future. Talented, athletic, skilled and just lacks experience.

Just great depth for K to work with. I know people don't want to buy into it but we all might see platooning early on. The last time the bigs were this deep (Zoubs, Lance, mason and miles) that team was very successful.

No Jah but wow depth.
Marshall is the ultimate team guy and he will do all of the little things. His motor, work ethic and attitude is awesome for the young guys and he is an example of what hard work can do in the weight room. Remember he was a 7-0 skinny kid coming out of HS. He will defend, rebound and communicate. Just a team guy.
Amile is a glue guy. He just gets it done. Timely rebounds, touch D like in the Natl Champ game, can score points and is such a positve leader. Curious to see how his off-season development translates into his Sr year. If he just slightly improves he will have a very good Sr year.
Obi is the X factor guy. He is a very good rebounder and defensive player. One NBAer went as far as saying he was one of the toughest guys to score against that he haas ever played against. Key word is "Ever". No one really knows what to expect from him this year but we all know he is big, extremely strong and a rebounding machine.
Jeter is the future. Talented, athletic, skilled and just lacks experience.

Just great depth for K to work with. I know people don't want to buy into it but we all might see platooning early on. The last time the bigs were this deep (Zoubs, Lance, mason and miles) that team was very successful.
I'm certainly not going to buy into a 5 for 5 platoon- however if you're suggesting the big man rotation, than yes.

Jeter's got a nice right handed jump hook. Would love to see him stay 2-3 years and really develop more offensive moves as well as his rebounding

The kid is already very polished in the low block - just look at his footwork. The one move he lacks is due to size, in pushing the opponent down deep in the paint. Jah did that from day one.

Duke has post depth, and Jeter is unique in that group offensively. He has the best feel, touch, and footwork among the group. He obviously hasn't proven it against college competition, but he can do some things you aren't going to see Marshall, Obi, or Amile do. He has the ability to be a dimension of the attack. It might be in a somewhat limited capacity with all that depth, but he could just as easily grab the starting post spot and make it his.

Reactions: Crank_it_loud
I think the key for Chase is his offense. Assuming at least one of Marshall and Amile are on the court most of the time, it's hard to see K putting Chase in the game if he can't score. That would put two non-shooters in the lineup which isn't something K likes to do. On the other hand, if Chase can knock in some jumpers from 10-15 feet out (something Amile just hasn't developed the confidence/skill to do), that really gives us great lineup flexibility.

I think the key for Chase is his offense. Assuming at least one of Marshall and Amile are on the court most of the time, it's hard to see K putting Chase in the game if he can't score. That would put two non-shooters in the lineup which isn't something K likes to do. On the other hand, if Chase can knock in some jumpers from 10-15 feet out (something Amile just hasn't developed the confidence/skill to do), that really gives us great lineup flexibility.

Yeah because Lance and Zoubs were offensive juggarnauts.....and Amile can score when called to do so.

Amile shoots 61% and plays good defense and doesn't foul that often or turn it over. He is a perfect role player with a great attitude. He'll get us an efficient 8pts, 7reb this season and provide positive energy throughout.

Reactions: mbdfan and skysdad
I was going to say: Amile and Plumlee don't stray too far from the 2010 frontcourt; they'll be relied on for leadership, boards, blocks, and energy, with any scoring being a bonus

If Chase wants to play, he will have to learn to communicate in K's system. K wants bigs who talk from the back line. Hell any coach wants that. As much as Jah struggled on the back line on D, he really did talk well. Chase has good timing on help defense, so his biggest curve will be communication. I wouldn't expect him to be a scorer from day 1, but if he can net a few buckets a game, he'll prove his worth just fine.

Lol dumb comparison? Especially considering that Ingram will be spending most of his time at the 3 (barring late game situations where Amile is at the 5). I also suggest watching Chase play prior to stating that he can't score (and if he does it'll need to be from 10-15 feet).

It's bad enough that you're really a UK fan but now we have to read your lack of knowledge with the Duke system.....

I bet we'll see a decent amount of zebra don at the 4. Especially if 3 of our 4 other wings prove to be more vital than any combination of the 4 bigs expected to play.

Ingram at the 4 leaves Duke very vulnerable to get smacked in the post and on the boards. I know Ingram will play some at the 4 based on situation, but if he spends a majority of the time at the 4, that means Amile will be at the 5, where he has shown to be effective in short doses but not long term.

For years, we've put tweeners at the 4 spot. And we always say the same thing, "we'll get killed on the boards". That may be true, but for certain stretches of the season, K has proven he's willing to ride it out for experimentation scouting report purposes.

For years, we've put tweeners at the 4 spot. And we always say the same thing, "we'll get killed on the boards". That may be true, but for certain stretches of the season, K has proven he's willing to ride it out for experimentation scouting report purposes.
Correct, Crank's obsession with this lobster guy's potentially being a UK fan blind the fact that he's not making horrible points all the time. Ingram will almost certainly spend some time at the 4 this year- especially in late game situations when we need scoring/FTs. It is also a matchup nightmare for the other team...think we had that this year if i'm not mistaken. It also is a load to deal with if you have Thornton, Allen, Matty/luke, and Ingram at the floor on the same time with whichever big you want to compliment that 4 with. If this year taught you anything it's that other teams have to match up to us just as much as we to them.

Correct, Crank's obsession with this lobster guy's potentially being a UK fan blind the fact that he's not making horrible points all the time. Ingram will almost certainly spend some time at the 4 this year- especially in late game situations when we need scoring/FTs. It is also a matchup nightmare for the other team...think we had that this year if i'm not mistaken. It also is a load to deal with if you have Thornton, Allen, Matty/luke, and Ingram at the floor on the same time with whichever big you want to compliment that 4 with. If this year taught you anything it's that other teams have to match up to us just as much as we to them.

My obsession? No, just obvious statements and posts both here, and on other boards. Maybe you shouldn't ignore the fact that if Ingram is at the 4, chances are, Amile will be at the 5. How did we fare with Jabari at the 4 and Amile at the 5 full-time. Perhaps a little less concern for my mockery of Lobsters and a little more paying attention to my post would help you? It is funny watching you basically agree with my point above (where I said Ingram will spend some time at the 4) in the same post, however :) Also, this past year you had Jah or MP3 on the court anchoring the post (with the exception of spot minutes including the title game w/ Wisky) to soften the smaller 4 spot. Do that with AJ a majority of the time, you ask for trouble, so your comparison there goes out the window.

DH, what exactly do you consider a "tweener" at the 4? Thomas? Kelly? Mason/Miles? Singler? All much more capable of banging at the post, and all surrounded with more beef than say Amile in the paint, with the exception of Singler in 09 when he was paired with Lance and consistently exposed (and abused in some cases, see Villanova). If MP3 or Chase (perhaps Obi in spells) stays at the 5, some of this may be pointless to discuss, but if that is the case, then we have AJ off-of-the-court, something that I have a hard time believing K will do. Also, you basically agree with me stating that "for stretches of the season" is comparative/similar to my statement of moments of Brandon being at the 4 and AJ at the 5. Problem, again, is that if it becomes a majority situation, Duke will get worked on the boards, just like in years past with similar scenarios.

Last edited:
My obsession? No, just obvious statements and posts both here, and on other boards. Maybe you shouldn't ignore the fact that if Ingram is at the 4, chances are, Amile will be at the 5. How did we fare with Jabari at the 4 and Amile at the 5 full-time. Perhaps a little less concern for my mockery of Lobsters and a little more paying attention to my post would help you? It is funny watching you basically agree with my point above (where I said Ingram will spend some time at the 4) in the same post, however :) Also, this past year you had Jah or MP3 on the court anchoring the post (with the exception of spot minutes including the title game w/ Wisky) to soften the smaller 4 spot. Do that with AJ a majority of the time, you ask for trouble, so your comparison there goes out the window.

DH, what exactly do you consider a "tweener" at the 4? Thomas? Kelly? Mason/Miles? Singler? All much more capable of banging at the post, and all surrounded with more beef than say Amile in the paint, with the exception of Singler in 09 when he was paired with Lance and consistently exposed (and abused in some cases, see Villanova). If MP3 or Chase (perhaps Obi in spells) stays at the 5, some of this may be pointless to discuss, but if that is the case, then we have AJ off-of-the-court, something that I have a hard time believing K will do. Also, you basically agree with me stating that "for stretches of the season" is comparative/similar to my statement of moments of Brandon being at the 4 and AJ at the 5. Problem, again, is that if it becomes a majority situation, Duke will get worked on the boards, just like in years past with similar scenarios.

I dont read his posts on other boards, i dont follow him around, i just see you posting quite a bit about him being a UK fan all day on this board.

But lets get to the basketball stuff....yes Ingram will spend time at the 4, we agree on that. How much or little really depends on his development and how the season goes for the team. First- you assume that if he's at the 4 that means that Amile is at the 5...why? Why can't it be Marshall? or Obi, or the reason this thread began in the first place Jeter? If its because Amile is our best low post defender and communicator i'd say sure. How did it work for us with Jabari at the 4 and Amile at the 5? Doesnt matter because Amile was a sophomore not a senior with more strength and basketball IQ....i think he played the 5 quite a bit in the second half of the National Championship (as you pointed out)....we did pretty good there with him guarding Kaminsky right? Dont think the Soph Amile could have handled that responsibility. But he wont have too, b/c if we're sliding Ingram to the 4, i'm guessing we will have an anchor, like we did this year (remember Amile was moved to the bench after Justise took the starting role).

As for Jeter, whether the lobster realizes or not he makes a good point about Jeter not playing much if his offense isn't there. His big advantage over Amile, Obi and Marshall is that he has an offensive game. He has a long way to go in matching their defensive contributions (and physicality which a lot of that has to do with maturity). Thus if he's not scoring consistently, we're better off having Ingram at the 4 or having two low post anchors- take your pick of the other 3.

Btw- Ingram is a pretty damn good rebounder. What he doesnt have in beef he makes up for a lot of times in quickness and length. Again not ideal to have Amile in there at the 5 all the time if he's at the 4, but i dont anticipate that being the case, i'd anticipate Marshall or Obi being in there with Ingram if he's at the 4. In years past we didnt have the luxury of having an anchor, this year we have multiple.

Again, I don't follow the clown around "all day" like you claim I do, but perhaps I should use your logic and say you post here "all day" based on your counts and activity? I do read RR and THR so I come across things, and it isn't very shocking to have opponents posing as Duke fans.

For your first paragraph - you essentially state things that I already said for the exception of comparing AJ as a sophomore vs senior. Yes, he did well on Frank in both games towards the end, but if Duke runs with that as much as k did with Winslow mid-season and on, then yes, Duke will get exposed IMO. A senior AJ is still very lean, and unless the other 3 get on the floor, bigger teams will simply out-muscle those two on the boards. So k places an anchor there, what happens to Amile? Do any of the other 3 demand play the way that Jah did?

As for Chase - of course he will need to be superior offensively to see big minutes, but where the UK fan is wrong is that Chase will need to score from 10-15 feet. He won't, and if you've seen Chase play, he has by far the best footwork and post scoring touch out of any of the bigs this year. If he is impactful, it'll most likely be in the paint.

Not exactly sure where the disconnect is - I know that Ingram will be at the 4 some. I just doubt it'll be as much as you are predicting.

I think it could be a fair amount of the season because of things like injuries, fatigue, etc. not to mention the scouting report game that coaches play where for most if the season, you play one way with a certain lineup, then all of a sudden here a comes a change that maximizes your team's potential. K has even able to do that with his most successful teams. The teams where he couldn't, we'll the results are obvious.

And you ask what tweeners to which I'm referring? At the 4? With success?

Winslow
Parker
Kelly
Jefferson
Deng
Singler
Dunleavy
Laettner
Ferry
G. Hill (played everywhere)
Alarie

K has made a legacy out of these guys, so your convenient amnesia won't fly here.

Amile lost big minutes as a team captain down the stretch. And if Ingram and a center proves more valuable, the same will happen this season too. And Amile is the kind of captain who will be the first to tell K to make the move.

Again, I don't follow the clown around "all day" like you claim I do, but perhaps I should use your logic and say you post here "all day" based on your counts and activity? I do read RR and THR so I come across things, and it isn't very shocking to have opponents posing as Duke fans.

For your first paragraph - you essentially state things that I already said for the exception of comparing AJ as a sophomore vs senior. Yes, he did well on Frank in both games towards the end, but if Duke runs with that as much as k did with Winslow mid-season and on, then yes, Duke will get exposed IMO. A senior AJ is still very lean, and unless the other 3 get on the floor, bigger teams will simply out-muscle those two on the boards. So k places an anchor there, what happens to Amile? Do any of the other 3 demand play the way that Jah did?

As for Chase - of course he will need to be superior offensively to see big minutes, but where the UK fan is wrong is that Chase will need to score from 10-15 feet. He won't, and if you've seen Chase play, he has by far the best footwork and post scoring touch out of any of the bigs this year. If he is impactful, it'll most likely be in the paint.

Not exactly sure where the disconnect is - I know that Ingram will be at the 4 some. I just doubt it'll be as much as you are predicting.
Right i'm not sure how much he'll be at the 4, we both just know it'll happen. I guess my whole thing is i'm not as concerned about it as you are, that pretty much narrows it down to the nitty gritty. Obviously we agree more than not in the majority of these posts. K has moved Amile to the bench to slide a smaller player to the 4 just this season, I could see it happening again b/c Amile is a do wahtever it takes for the team kind of guy.

As for Chase- he doesnt need to hit the 10-15 foot jumper to be effective. He just needs to be an effective offensive player when he's out there, because if not he's just not goign to see the floor. I think he'll have his moments, but overall I think he's a year away from being a consistent inside presence for us.

I think it could be a fair amount of the season because of things like injuries, fatigue, etc. not to mention the scouting report game that coaches play where for most if the season, you play one way with a certain lineup, then all of a sudden here a comes a change that maximizes your team's potential. K has even able to do that with his most successful teams. The teams where he couldn't, we'll the results are obvious.

And you ask what tweeners to which I'm referring? At the 4? With success?

Winslow
Parker
Kelly
Jefferson
Deng
Singler
Dunleavy
Laettner
Ferry
G. Hill (played everywhere)
Alarie

K has made a legacy out of these guys, so your convenient amnesia won't fly here.

Amile lost big minutes as a team captain down the stretch. And if Ingram and a center proves more valuable, the same will happen this season too. And Amile is the kind of captain who will be the first to tell K to make the move.

Selective amnesia? I looked back through 2009; wasn't clear that we should look at your selected range of years. Now that we are:

Winslow - with Jah (already mentioned)
Parker - with AJ (worked well statistically for Parker, not for the team)
Kelly - with Mason (superior 5)
Jefferson - with Jah and Mason
Deng - with Shelden (superior 5)
Singler - with Miles/Zoub/Mason but exposed when with Lance
Dunleavy - with Boozer (superior 5)
Laettner - really? Are you really comparing any of these guys to Christian?
Ferry - various combos
G. Hill (played everywhere) - you answered that

Please tell me, who from this upcoming team, will supplant AJ in your system and do it at the same 5's listed above. Based on your post, we should expect Chase/Obi/MP3 to perform at similar levels to Jah, Zoubs, Mason, Miles, Boozer, Shelden, etc. Makes sense.

Right i'm not sure how much he'll be at the 4, we both just know it'll happen. I guess my whole thing is i'm not as concerned about it as you are, that pretty much narrows it down to the nitty gritty. Obviously we agree more than not in the majority of these posts. K has moved Amile to the bench to slide a smaller player to the 4 just this season, I could see it happening again b/c Amile is a do wahtever it takes for the team kind of guy.

As for Chase- he doesnt need to hit the 10-15 foot jumper to be effective. He just needs to be an effective offensive player when he's out there, because if not he's just not goign to see the floor. I think he'll have his moments, but overall I think he's a year away from being a consistent inside presence for us.

I honestly didn't think we were that far off - thanks for clarifying. I'm not sure I'm as concerned at Ingram at the 4 as I am that I think that Brandon will be very successful at the 3, consistently. Time will tell, but either way Duke has the luxury of going either route with the guards they have.

I could definitely see Jeter getting more time on the bench than on the floor. But if I am wrong about that, it would have to be because he earned minutes by playing hard and having success. And if that happens, the rest of the questions will answer themselves.

Crank it loud, this is none of my business, I know. But I feel like you use a lot of energy defending yourself in situations where you could just let things go. You are clearly a great and knowledgeable Duke fan and I'm not even saying you are wrong in defending yourself. A lot of these back and forths are avoidable though. A lot of people are guilty of this, so don't feel like I'm singling you out.

Appreciate it Lets Go, apologies for the banter. I know it's bs for yall to read through in some cases, I'm just trying to express my opinion clearly and, for example, I don't think I'm far off with guys like Timo above, I may have done a less-than-stellar job of explaining my stance though!

Ok this is a discussion board. None of this is personal. So if you're getting pissed off, it's not necessary. I'm expressing my opinion and backing it up with facts jut as you are. I'm not sure why there's heat.

We're debating. No one is trying to sucker Crank in. I'm simply discussing. I didn't think I was wrong in that.

I won't apologize. I thought it was a good discussion.

Selective amnesia? I looked back through 2009; wasn't clear that we should look at your selected range of years. Now that we are:

Winslow - with Jah (already mentioned)
Parker - with AJ (worked well statistically for Parker, not for the team)
Kelly - with Mason (superior 5)
Jefferson - with Jah and Mason
Deng - with Shelden (superior 5)
Singler - with Miles/Zoub/Mason but exposed when with Lance
Dunleavy - with Boozer (superior 5)
Laettner - really? Are you really comparing any of these guys to Christian?
Ferry - various combos
G. Hill (played everywhere) - you answered that

Please tell me, who from this upcoming team, will supplant AJ in your system and do it at the same 5's listed above. Based on your post, we should expect Chase/Obi/MP3 to perform at similar levels to Jah, Zoubs, Mason, Miles, Boozer, Shelden, etc. Makes sense.

I'm not sure what point you're making here? My list is guys who have succeeded at the 4 plain and simple. They each had different 5's who played with them and they span some very diverse eras of basketball. No comparisons are being made. Simply illustrating K's success with versatile 4's throughout the years in response to your comment not understanding what I consider a tweener 4.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT