ADVERTISEMENT

Captains

These guys seem to be great lockerroom guys and great representatives of Duke. I'm excited to go into next season knowing they are leading the charge.

Reactions: Mark Gastineau
Captain Plumlee...has a good ring to it. And this takes care of the Plumlee leaving rumors. Congrats to Amile, Matt, and Marshall.

OFC
You beat me to it! Yes, I assume this is pretty good assurance that Marshall will return despite the various internet rumors out there.

Excellent choices by K for next year's team.

I don't remember captains ever being announced this early, but this seems like such an easy and obvious choice.

If there were going to be 3, which 3 were obvious. One concern... I loved Tyler Thornton, but one disadvantage to his captaincy was that he wasn't on the court 30+ minutes, and it's hard to lead the on-court huddle from the bench. There's a fair chance only one of them starts. It'll be pretty rare that all 3 of them are on the bench, though.

Quinn was all-ACC this season (robbed of 1st team), but he was completely comfortable deferring. It didn't compromise his captaincy at all. Perhaps that offers a blueprint for these 3 captains. Great leaders also depend on others having the confidence to follow, too. This year's 3 OADs were pretty unchallenged for PT. Someone w/ a smaller margin and weaker hold on his starting spot might not be as agreeable.

I trust K to work it out if anyone can, though.

Reactions: Showenuff
I agree that it is pretty important that our captains be leaders both on and off the court. Quinn showed just how essential BOTH are. It's nice when you are one off, but when the crunch time hits, you need a guy on the court who you can look at feel "we can do this".

Looking forward to the progress of Matt's Offense. I think he's showed some pretty good potential for offense in the past and I'm hoping he'll really harness it next year.

If there were going to be 3, which 3 were obvious. One concern... I loved Tyler Thornton, but one disadvantage to his captaincy was that he wasn't on the court 30+ minutes, and it's hard to lead the on-court huddle from the bench. There's a fair chance only one of them starts. It'll be pretty rare that all 3 of them are on the bench, though.

Quinn was all-ACC this season (robbed of 1st team), but he was completely comfortable deferring. It didn't compromise his captaincy at all. Perhaps that offers a blueprint for these 3 captains. Great leaders also depend on others having the confidence to follow, too. This year's 3 OADs were pretty unchallenged for PT. Someone w/ a smaller margin and weaker hold on his starting spot might not be as agreeable.

I trust K to work it out if anyone can, though.

Unless Chase Jeter really develops physically over the next 6 months (which is not an impossibility given his age), it wouldn't surprise me at all if both Plumlee and Jefferson start next year and -- while Ingram's decision could potentially drive Matt to the bench -- I think he too will be a 20+ minute guy. I don't think this group really compares to that Thornton / Hairston senior class b/c these upperclassmen are far better players IMO -- even though they haven't necessarily had as many opportunities because of how much high-end talent we've had on the roster the past couple years with Parker, Hood, Okafor, Winslow and Jones. Personally, I think Jefferson's a kid who's shown a real ability to produce at times, but has taken a secondary role to guys like Jabari Parker and Justise Winslow. Moreover, I'd add that part of the problem with Thornton was not just limited talent, but that we were trying to force him onto the court by playing him out of position at SG. It's one thing to have a pass-first PG. It's another to have a pass-first SG who's only averaging 3 ppg in 21 minutes.

I like those choices and think they are all well deserved. How about Marshall going from Lt. Plumlee to Capt. Plumlee. OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT