ADVERTISEMENT

Cameron being ripped away

I will miss the original South entrance & circle but once complete the addition will be top notch.

If I'm a current student this ticks me off, pay all that money in tuition to see Cameron surrounded by contruction mess for two years. There is no way this project is completed in 15 months especially with utilities involved.

When are they ever , if ever , going to build a larger arena?? Cameron doesn't look to me like it has added much since I used to go to games there in the '60's. Could they not sell out 15,000+ as easily as they sell out less than 10,000 now??Granted, I have only seen it on tv in a lot of years.

When are they ever , if ever , going to build a larger arena?? Cameron doesn't look to me like it has added much since I used to go to games there in the '60's. Could they not sell out 15,000+ as easily as they sell out less than 10,000 now??Granted, I have only seen it on tv in a lot of years.
Once you go in person, you'll never want to add another seat ever again.

Only changes for the better Show on the outside, HOF etc, nothing on the inside in terms of the game day atmosphere, kids around the floor in their same seats, etc. is goign to change.

Reactions: DukeOrDie
http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Historic-Cameron-Indoor-Stadium-undergoing-renovations-37116006

Yikes! many a rival fans dream is in this video!

Actually they are adding over 17,000 square feet to the lobby area and have ripped away the south entrance (the one facing Wallace Wade Stadium)

Talk about an overdramatic title. My understanding of the project is that -- aside from the small entrance they removed -- the entire south exterior will be maintained. I think all they are doing is making the South wall a partially interior wall that connects to this new larger lobby area. It's really not that big of a deal IMO.

2v3na4l.jpg

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Talk about an overdramatic title. My understanding of the project is that -- aside from the small entrance they removed -- the entire south exterior will be maintained. I think all they are doing is making the South wall a partially interior wall that connects to this new larger lobby area. It's really not that big of a deal IMO.
The new lobby building will extend out to where the outdoor ticket booths are located now. That's a pretty big addition & will look much different from outside.

Watched the team depart to Chapel Hill last season from the circle, pretty cool.

They've done a lot of work in and around Cameron the past 15 years actually. I remember going down there in fall of 1999 for midnight madness and the place was pretty dumpy. Construction work was going on everywhere, there was still awful carpet throughout the concourse (now it's a beautiful marbleesque? type of surface) they added exhibits, they added the new concourse on that left side that now adjoins the Duke Basketball museum they built. They added A/C, they built the Schwarz-Butters athletic center. They overhauled all the banners inside etc. Building the concourse/Museum/S-B Athletic center alone cost millions of dollars. Now they are expanding the lobby, adding an upstairs club area and increasing the number of concession stands and rest rooms. I remember going back in 2001 to partake in the Championship Homecoming (I had not seen Cameron since that fall 1999 visit) and the placed looked so much better. That new concourse area was open with rows of tables selling NC Shirts.

Cameron hasn't just been sitting collecting cobwebs, Duke has done a lot to improve it over the years. It's a great place, who wants a new arena with some Dr. Pepper or KFC or whatever logo slapped on it? Duke needs to maintain what it has and continue to improve on it.

Once you go in person, you'll never want to add another seat ever again.
Have been to many games there in years past. Covered many games for the paper there also. Guess I am in the minority, but , I would like to see them in a larger arena. Leave the student section as is now and you would still have the crazies , just more room for more. I know many Tarhole fans that loved going to games in the old Carmichael (sp?) gym.. Doubt they would leave the Dean dome and go back though.

Have been to many games there in years past. Covered many games for the paper there also. Guess I am in the minority, but , I would like to see them in a larger arena. Leave the student section as is now and you would still have the crazies , just more room for more. I know many Tarhole fans that loved going to games in the old Carmichael (sp?) gym.. Doubt they would leave the Dean dome and go back though.

The wine and cheese crowd were never allow that and where in the world would they find enough room to hang all those banners. OFC

Actually, nearly every UNC fan I've talked to that has actually experienced a game in Carmichael has said the opposite. Case in point: last year when it snowed the night of the Duke game, UNC was planning on moving the game to Carmichael and UNC fans were absolutely pumped. Deep down they know what we know: bigger isn't necessarily better and the Dean Dome is a tomb. They should've stayed in Carmichael, but in their case, I get why they didn't. They have a very large, local fan and alumni base. Duke's fanbase is far more spread out and our alumni base is a fraction of UNC's or any other large state school. Putting aside the fact that Cameron is perfect and no Duke fan in his or her right mind would change it, it makes no sense to expand the seating in the stadium. I'm glad our administrators understand that too. Focus improvements on other areas.

Please. No.

Tradition matters. Keep Cameron as it is. It is one of the top 2 or 3 arenas in all of CBB.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT