ADVERTISEMENT

Bo Ryan to Retire After 2015-16 Season

dukiejay

Mar 2, 2005
Minneapolis
Reactions: diehardDUKIEnKY
I'm really surprised by this. That's going to be a big job to get with how he's elevated that program. It will be interesting to see if they promote from within.

I'm with you DJ. I think he's a good voach, but he was a poor loser after the NC. That really surprised me because I had a very high opinion of him.

I'm surprised too. Yes, it's a big job, but I think they stay inside and go with assistant Gard.
Other media reports depict Bo as the last of the "Old Guard", developing players as opposed to recruiting one-and-dones, but as has been posted here on previous threads, he DID recruit them, they just chose to go elsewhere. Just sayin'.
OFC

I think Bennett will take a good hard look myself. WI fans aren't overly excited about Gard that's for sure. Nor does BA like to be advised haha.

Wisconsin will look at Bennett and Bennett may even flirt back, but I think ultimately Gard gets the job. And I can't blame Wisconsin if they sign him.

No doubt a great coach, but as you have stated, I lost a ton of respect for him in his post game comments. I know it is a tough moment, right after losing the biggest game of your life, but many, many people have been in the same spot and handled it with integrity. (Roy Williams infamous "I don't give a **** about Carolina" notwithstanding).

Last edited:
I didn't think the article linked below deserved its own thread, but it's a good piece by Myron Medcalf over at ESPN. And it makes you wonder.

Aside from the way Ryan acted after the national championship game I think we can all agree he's a very good coach to pull off what he has at UW. But read the article and it makes you appreciate some of the great names in college basketball who aren't going to be around five, 10 years from now. There's a pretty impressive list of coaches who are nearing the end and about to hand off the baton.

Ryan is kind of starting what will almost be an annual tradition in college basketball among some great, legendary coaches.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...ent-sign-end-coaching-era-coming-sooner-think

I didn't think the article linked below deserved its own thread, but it's a good piece by Myron Medcalf over at ESPN. And it makes you wonder.

Aside from the way Ryan acted after the national championship game I think we can all agree he's a very good coach to pull off what he has at UW. But read the article and it makes you appreciate some of the great names in college basketball who aren't going to be around five, 10 years from now. There's a pretty impressive list of coaches who are nearing the end and about to hand off the baton.

Ryan is kind of starting what will almost be an annual tradition in college basketball among some great, legendary coaches.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...ent-sign-end-coaching-era-coming-sooner-think
I read that article DJ, i didn't think it was great but it did bring up some good points about the fact that many big name coaches will be gone in the next decade. Including our own legend.

I think some of the comments in this thread towards Bo are a bit extreme and a bit much. Bo, as Medcalf's article points out, never met a call against his team he agreed with. That pretty much sums him up in a negative way, but in no way do i think Bo is a bad guy. I think he's done a ton of great things for Wisconsin and clearly their bball program, while molding kids with sound character. Wish him the best afterwards- wasn't a favorite of mine by any means but not going to just bash his entire career or him as a person b/c of the comments after he lost. He's not a great loser, it happens.

I never put too much stock in what coaches say after a tough loss. Guess I am prejudice, but , I have always thought K handles losses with a lot of class . Always gives the other team credit for the win without a hidden "well, we gave the game away". I have always hated to hear coaches use that one. Coach Cutt on the other hand could use some of K's tact after losses. JMTCW

I never put too much stock in what coaches say after a tough loss. Guess I am prejudice, but , I have always thought K handles losses with a lot of class . Always gives the other team credit for the win without a hidden "well, we gave the game away". I have always hated to hear coaches use that one. Coach Cutt on the other hand could use some of K's tact after losses. JMTCW
I'm ok with saying your team had a hand in losing the game- we didnt play well enough to win- it's probably the truth. People had a problem with Bo b/c he was saying it was basically all on the refs. That's just poor sportsmanship.

I don't mind what Bo said at all. The refs sucked in that game, and that was his last shot a title, after a long hard career. I will remember Bo as a great coach and not even think about his comments. Just as I will savor that 5th banner and not think back about the officiating.

I heard he's going to play Skeletor in the next He-Man movie.

BdRC521CQAEowqb.jpg

I don't mind what Bo said at all. The refs sucked in that game, and that was his last shot a title, after a long hard career. I will remember Bo as a great coach and not even think about his comments. Just as I will savor that 5th banner and not think back about the officiating.

I can agree to an extent. The refs were not good, but that went both ways. If he said "I just wish the game was officiated better" and acknowledged that it was an issue for both teams, then I would have had no problem with it. I think if Wisc. had won because the second half was called like the first half, he would not have made any comment and the officiating would have been fine.

Great coach, but legends don't go for excuses. They acknowledge that the other team won.

Reactions: DukeDenver
I can agree to an extent. The refs were not good, but that went both ways. If he said "I just wish the game was officiated better" and acknowledged that it was an issue for both teams, then I would have had no problem with it. I think if Wisc. had won because the second half was called like the first half, he would not have made any comment and the officiating would have been fine.

Great coach, but legends don't go for excuses. They acknowledge that the other team won.

I agree with you. It has to have been easier for K to take the high road since 91/92. Bo never got there, and to be so close near the end of his tenure must have really hurt. That's why I won't judge an otherwise outstanding, classy career by one very frustrated moment. I may have done the same (and been wrong to do so).

Reactions: dbav
I agree with you. It has to have been easier for K to take the high road since 91/92. Bo never got there, and to be so close near the end of his tenure must have really hurt. That's why I won't judge an otherwise outstanding, classy career by one very frustrated moment. I may have done the same (and been wrong to do so).
right, which was my point earlier. he's getting hit a bit hard in this thread, basically b/c of how he handled his end of game quotes in the national championship. otherwise, great career and best of luck to him in his swan song.

I was once aggrivated at what he said, but looking back I can't blame him. I've been guilty of saying things that were a bit harsh and unintentional in the heat of the moment. He had a great team and I think he's a classy coach other than that moment. He's a man that got caught up in emotion just like all of us have done.

I'm with you. I'm sure it was frustrating for him. I see the way you're looking at it.

Nit just the comments about the officiating, but the whole, "rent a player" thing too.

But, oh well. He had a moment, I've had many. Duke won the championship and we are happy.

Best of luck to Ryan in his retirement, hopefully he doesn't waste it being bitter.

the only thing I will remember is that he is one of the worst sore losers ever to coach that refused to acknowledge getting beat by a much better duke team and coach. He never complimented Coach K after the game...a classless perennial loser.

Good losers never make it to the finals. It hurts like hell when you've worked your tail off and come up short. I have a lot of respect for the man, he was hurting and just spoke without thinking.

I didn't like the way Bo acted when he lost to us so all I can say is By By Bo.

Actually, I'm sorry I derailed the thread a bit. I have a feeling they will promote from within, but I would think that job would be something a lot of up and coming coaches would be after.

Actually, I'm sorry I derailed the thread a bit. I have a feeling they will promote from within, but I would think that job would be something a lot of up and coming coaches would be after.
My money is on Larry Krystkowiak, Utah's coach. He spent a bunch of time in Milwaukee as a player and coach and he has been on an upward arc since 2010. Plus, he just looks like a Wiscy coach.

the only thing I will remember is that he is one of the worst sore losers ever to coach that refused to acknowledge getting beat by a much better duke team and coach. He never complimented Coach K after the game...a classless perennial loser.

We certainly weren't "much" better than Wisconsin. They were very, very good. We just happened to be a little better on that particular night. A best-of-seven series would have likely gone all seven between the two....that's how even the matchup was, IMO.

Ryan is a great coach. I know a lot of people are taking the high road when taking in some of his comments, and I think that's commendable. Although, living in the Midwest I'm familiar with Ryan maybe a tad more than some others, and a few who live in this neck of the woods can back me up on this....but that wasn't the first time Ryan acted like this. He's always had a petty streak to him and has never handled losing well. So while I acknowledge him being a great coach, a great ambassador for Wisconsin and a guy who seemingly wins with less talent than some of his counterparts, I still know how he acts on a more consistent basis. That Monday night in April was hardly a first for him.

Reactions: dbav
Yeah, acknowledging that he made a total a** out of himself on national TV after the NC game and acknowledging that he can definitely coach are not mutually exclusive.

The man is older than me...and he whined like a 2 year old. If he were 30, or even 40 it wouldn't have seemed nearly as bad to me, but if you make it to my age and his...and this is how you act as a coach, a mentor, a leader of young men? No one wants to lose, but if you do then act like a damn real man and give a little respect to the other coach, and team. What an example he set for his players. And if you noticed several of them took cue from him and whined also. Yeah, Bo...you taught them well.

OFC

Reactions: skysdad
Exactly dirt. A man that has lived that many years and coached as long as he has picks up some wisdom by accident. OFC

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Exactly dirt. A man that has lived that many years and coached as long as he has picks up some wisdom by accident. OFC

Yep, Sky, I know us old guys have our faults too, but if you haven't learned a little during all these years it sure seems like you weren't trying hard enough.

OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT