ADVERTISEMENT

5 Star Guard Jamal Murray to Kentucky

Man, this thing is still up? Jeez. I'm also a bit surprised to see Denniden bringing the heat over here. On the national board he's pretty calm, and chill, like a sloth (the most calm, chill animal on the planet, ofc).
Then you come here and it's all like, "whoa, look at Denniden, he's like a honey badger or something, bro".

Yep.

Guard play is what (usually) wins those last 2 games in the Final Four. Very rarely are big men more important than your point men in those games, Anthony Davis and Emeka Okafor aside.

UK killed themselves by playing the twins so much. They would've still had a hard time with Duke and Wiscy, but I like their chances of winning a redo tourney where the Harrisons were limited to 8 minutes a piece. Happily though, there are no redo tourneys.

Reactions: ArmyWildcat81
LOL rhavicc, I will jump in the fray now and again. I don't think anything I have said here is out of line though. Unlike a few posters here who are reaching.

LOL rhavicc, I will jump in the fray now and again. I don't think anything I have said here is out of line though. Unlike a few posters here who are reaching.

Nah, I agree with you completely. What it came down to, in my opinion, is losing Poythress. That said, it comes down to guard-play in the Final Four (even in 2012 when we won it, Teague and Lamb were pretty unstoppable in the Final Four). The Harrison twins tried to take over, and they got into a funk, so Kentucky lost. I still believe Poythress would have been able to shut Dekker down. He man-handled him the previous year, so why not again? It is what it is though.

Still think you could possibly have dissociative personality disorder, though. (Insert laughing, rolling emoticon, since you all don't have that option here).

Guard play is what (usually) wins those last 2 games in the Final Four. Very rarely are big men more important than your point men in those games, Anthony Davis and Emeka Okafor aside.

UK killed themselves by playing the twins so much. They would've still had a hard time with Duke and Wiscy, but I like their chances of winning a redo tourney where the Harrisons were limited to 8 minutes a piece. Happily though, there are no redo tourneys.

Agreed, Ulis needed to be in the game at the end.

...and you didn't build up Jahlil before he saw a D1 game right...

Yeah, something I will say is that pre-season Towns was nothing like post-season Towns. Pre-season Towns was soft in the paint. Cal made him stop shooting threes altogether and bang down low, and it paid off for Towns.
Cal has had 2 other players very similar to Skal, both of which were incredible players. Cal will know how to use him well, and Skal is a very talented offensive big man (more like Anthony Davis offensively than Jahlil Okafor), with a lot of defensive IQ, athleticism, and shot-blocking ability.
It's hard to fathom incoming freshmen being as good as the terrific ones that came through previously, but that's a yearly thing.

ArmyTroll, it's hard to take you seriously when you tout the "Rupp aka non-full-integration of collegiate ball" titles. Btw, I've seen Skal play plenty - he's good, just not on the level of Jah, KT, or AD. Putting him in their level (at the same age) is just wrong.

Fellas, ArmyTroll is grasping at straws here, hoping something he types will turn that paper title into a legitimate banner. Let the bitterness go, and keep on with your hopes that Skal is the next dominant collegiate post player from day 1. I'll back off now and just let the season ruin your dreams :)

Nah, I agree with you completely. What it came down to, in my opinion, is losing Poythress. That said, it comes down to guard-play in the Final Four (even in 2012 when we won it, Teague and Lamb were pretty unstoppable in the Final Four). The Harrison twins tried to take over, and they got into a funk, so Kentucky lost. I still believe Poythress would have been able to shut Dekker down. He man-handled him the previous year, so why not again? It is what it is though.

Still think you could possibly have dissociative personality disorder, though. (Insert laughing, rolling emoticon, since you all don't have that option here).
Poythress would have made a difference for sure. There was nobody on UK's squad last year like him. Duke had Winslow to deal with Dekker. Dekker got some early but when it came time to do something, Winslow shut him down. Both times Duke played Wisconsin.

Fellas, ArmyTroll is grasping at straws here, hoping something he types will turn that paper title into a legitimate banner. Let the bitterness go, and keep on with your hopes that Skal is the next dominant collegiate post player from day 1. I'll back off now and just let the season ruin your dreams :)

Dominant collegiate post player? I dunno about that. His offensive skill-set is geared towards Anthony Davis more-so than it is Karl-Anthony Towns or Jahlil Okafor. He'll get a lot of his points off of making a couple of mid-range jumpers per game, a couple of jump hooks or drop steps per game, and some lobs & put backs.
Kid has outstanding footwork, and a lot of different offensive moves, but he doesn't have a lot of size to bang around. Still, very good body control, and very nice touch to boot with his athleticism and length.
So while he won't be a Jahlil Okafor or Karl-Anthony Towns in the post, he'll be an Anthony Davis on offense, who was still dominant on that end of the floor. Doesn't hurt that he has elite basketball IQ and defensive ability either.

Poythress would have made a difference for sure. There was nobody on UK's squad last year like him. Duke had Winslow to deal with Dekker. Dekker got some early but when it came time to do something, Winslow shut him down. Both times Duke played Wisconsin.

Agreed. Poythress was our guy that liked to play through contact of offense, and in transition, and play lockdown defense. Before his injury, he was actually holding players that he was guarding to 12.8% from the field. Would have loved to have that in the tournament, but it is what it is. Casualty of the season.

Are you ok my friend?

What paper title do you refer to? UK does not celebrate Helms Banners.

Bitterness? What bitterness? I have nothing against duke, and consider K the best coach of all time. The only teams I hate are UNC** and our lil bro down the road.

Skal dominant from Day one? I honestly don't think he will dominate from Day one. I can see Jamal Murray, or Poy leading us in scoring to start the season. Skal will eventually take over as the season progresses.

Let the season ruin my dreams? What dreams? UK went 38-1 last season with a final four, and I am very, very excited about next season.

Have a wonderful weekend.

I was referring to the season. He had to share minutes. As for the Wisconsin game, I'm not mad at towns one bit. WCS completely disappeared that game.
They won every game until they faced Wisconsin, a game in which he played 31 minutes. Kind of puzzling you want to argue they would have won the title if he had played more than 20 minutes a game, when he played 31 minutes in the only game they lost.

They won every game until they faced Wisconsin, a game in which he played 31 minutes. Kind of puzzling you want to argue they would have won the title if he had played more than 20 minutes a game, when he played 31 minutes in the only game they lost.

Stats.

I wouldve loved to have seen the stats Booker and Towns, those two in particular, would've averaged of playing major minutes all season long.

Saying that, I don't have one complaint. Last season was a hell of a ride.

Back to the original topic, Murray led Canada with 22 points in win over Team USA today. He was the star in overtime. This kid is an absolute stud.

Reactions: KyFord
Back to the original topic, Murray led Canada with 22 points in win over Team USA today. He was the star in overtime. This kid is an absolute stud.

Murray is not only a scorer but a great passer. Look for Poythress, Scal and Lee to have big years with Murray and Ulis playing together. Murray may be the best thing that ever happened to Poythress.

Are you ok my friend?

What paper title do you refer to? UK does not celebrate Helms Banners.

Bitterness? What bitterness? I have nothing against duke, and consider K the best coach of all time. The only teams I hate are UNC** and our lil bro down the road.

Skal dominant from Day one? I honestly don't think he will dominate from Day one. I can see Jamal Murray, or Poy leading us in scoring to start the season. Skal will eventually take over as the season progresses.

Let the season ruin my dreams? What dreams? UK went 38-1 last season with a final four, and I am very, very excited about next season.

Have a wonderful weekend.

The same bitterness that has you hanging around a Duke board trying to prove yourself (or at least paper stats for UK), yet you've recently been warned because you simply don't add much, especially to your "arguments".

Btw, you do celebrate NCAA titles that are about the same level of Helms - all prior to the full integration of collegiate basketball. Congrats on that.

38-oh snap. It's okay, you've got the 2016 paper title locked up :)

Skal is projected as the #1 pick in the NBA next year, so it's possible he could end up being as good as Davis.

Skal is projected as the #1 pick in the NBA next year, so it's possible he could end up being as good as Davis.

Now you're falling into the trap of paper-quality. Look, the kid is very good, but as I mentioned, I've seen him play a lot and comparing him to AD at the same level isn't fair. AD was (and still is) a special player.

Anthony Bennett was also the number one pick in the draft. I'm not understanding your point. Skal probably wound be a top ten player in ethe class of 2014,16,18. He's a good player in a really weak class.

You're probably grossly underselling the kid's talents. The class isn't deep, but talent at the top is still insane. Skal Labissiere, Ben Simmons, and Brandon Ingram are all very, very good players. At this point, I would argue that Jamal Murray is top 3-4 in this class based on how well he's consistently been performing, but he was also top 10 in next year's class, which is incredibly loaded and deep.
Might be the best basketball player in the class, but he's not 6'9, 6'10, or 7 feet tall like Ingram, Simmons, and Labissiere.

Would also like to add that I don't think Labissiere will be as good as Davis. I think he could have a comparable impact to Davis, and will be used on the court in the way that Davis was used, but Davis won every possible award for a big man to win, and he did so as a freshman.
That said, I could see Skal's stat-line being very similar to Davis', except instead of averaging a stupid 4.7 bpg, probably more towards 3.75-4 bpg.
He won't have to do nearly as much as Davis because the 2012 backcourt (namely Teague) was probably worse than the one Skal will have supporting him, so he really won't need to strain himself as much

I really like this picture:

040615-CBK-Duke-Blue-Devils-celebrate-SS-PI.vadapt.620.high.0.jpg

And this one:

images

Good times.

The same bitterness that has you hanging around a Duke board trying to prove yourself (or at least paper stats for UK), yet you've recently been warned because you simply don't add much, especially to your "arguments".

Btw, you do celebrate NCAA titles that are about the same level of Helms - all prior to the full integration of collegiate basketball. Congrats on that.

38-oh snap. It's okay, you've got the 2016 paper title locked up :)

I bet you're a miserable person to be around. Feel terrible for your family.

8 titles with five different coaches > 5 titles with one coach. Boom!

The duke program begins and ends with K. Better hope he can coach till he's 100 years old.

LOL @ the (4) all-White titles. Congrats on that.

Miserable? That coming from the clown trying to win paper titles on a DUKE board? That's comical :)

Are you saying UK only played all white teams?

What paper title do you speak of?

You sound upset and angry.

If you really don't know the answer to that after everything I've posted, well, you are as dumb as you appear to be.

UK - paper champs two years in a row!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT