ADVERTISEMENT

5 Star Guard Jamal Murray to Kentucky

You can't melt down in that many big games with such loaded talented teams and still be considered a good coach. Losing to a team like Wisconsin with a team Kentucky had last year is evidence of poor coaching. Wisconsin had a bunch of 3 star recruits and an absolutely huge disadvantage athletically and heightwise. Simple thing in crunch time to do is to feed the 7 foot trees down low and tell harrison twins not to shoot or drive but Cal didn't and lost. I mean an average college bball coach could have led that team to a championship. Add to the fact, he already is associated with 2 major scandals (UMass & Memphis) and pays players illegally to get them including anthony davis (chicago sun times article about it) and others we don't know about. He's succeeded in life through cheating and this false perception that he's a good coach when the only thing he is good at is paying players to play for him.

Reactions: Dominator4321
Kentucky beats Duke at everything.....on paper. Kentucky has more paper championships than anyone thanks to their fan base. More #1 recruiting classes, draft picks, more weeks as the favorite to win it all, etc....

Meanwhile, Cal has never beaten K H2H, Duke has two national championships to Kentucky's one since KY hired their car salesman/"coach", Duke has not been to the NIT in that time span, and us Duke fans couldn't be happier about all of the above.

They will never beat Duke on paper. That requires reading comprehension skills, which Cal does not teach because it does not involve the dribble-drive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocketman101
They will never beat Duke on paper. That requires reading comprehension skills, which Cal does not teach because it does not involve the dribble-drive.
I dislike Cal as much as anyone on this board but UK's APR is 995, as high as you can get and the same as Duke's.

Lobsters, are you a UK fan?
I've already stated how I feel about Cal so why would you ask that of a Fuqua grad? I was simply stating a fact. Are those unwelcome when they dispute another poster's hyperbole?

As for another bit of hyperbole - "Cal is nothing but a cheater, will do anything to win." - wrong again, imo. Whether he was a cheater, I think he no longer needs to be at UK. I happen to think he's an excellent recruiter who gets a lot of egos to play as a team. And he's also a terrible strategist, poor tactician, has an arrogance that masks deep insecurities, is willing to throw anyone but himself under the bus, and falls apart at the first sign of trouble. His coming unglued in the LSU, Notre Dame, and Wisky games will be memories I relish for a long time.

I dislike Cal as much as anyone on this board but UK's APR is 995, as high as you can get and the same as Duke's.

Were the courses taken by each team's players comparable? Case in point: UNC-CH players had good grades in AFAM classes.

Were the courses taken by each team's players comparable? Case in point: UNC-CH players had good grades in AFAM classes.
No clue. I happened to notice the APR numbers a couple of months ago and was surprised UK had such solid numbers.

I'm disappointed Murray ended up at UK, I think given their personnel they were in trouble otherwise. With Murray, they can potentially do a similar lineup to what we ran this year, with Murray playing SF. The biggest difference would be who plays Winslow - if it's Poy, they'll have Winslow's D but not his offensive prowess.

I happen to think we'll match up pretty well with UK. Skal is way more talented than Jefferson/Plumlee, but they're both seniors and play really solid D. And a junior Jones should match up well with Murray.

Nov can't get here quickly enough.

Amazing that you keep building Skal up yet he hasn't seen a D1 game yet. He isn't the same as a Towns or Jah, but you act as if he is going to be.....

Amazing that you keep building Skal up yet he hasn't seen a D1 game yet. He isn't the same as a Towns or Jah, but you act as if he is going to be.....
Skal was #2 in the final RSCI rankings. He's projected as the first or second pick in the 2016 draft. But yeah, I'm just building him up. I hope you went to Duke - although I'm skeptical from what I've seen - that would at least slightly excuse your homerism.

Reactions: ArmyWildcat81
Skal was #2 in the final RSCI rankings. He's projected as the first or second pick in the 2016 draft. But yeah, I'm just building him up. I hope you went to Duke - although I'm skeptical from what I've seen - that would at least slightly excuse your homerism.

Homerism? Really, especially when I compare him to Towns from UK? LOL, your closet-fandom is screaming at everyone here. Skal isn't an impact POST player - D1 competition will be able to hang with him outside of the paint, negating a big part of his go-to moves.

I actually think Skal is going to be pretty good too. He can score down on the box, and in what is going to be "perceived" down year in college basketball he also has the acumen to be a top five pick in next June's draft. He's hardly Towns or Okafor, but in general college basketball will be void of player(s) like those two this upcoming season.

I actually think Skal is going to be pretty good too. He can score down on the box, and in what is going to be "perceived" down year in college basketball he also has the acumen to be a top five pick in next June's draft. He's hardly Towns or Okafor, but in general college basketball will be void of player(s) like those two this upcoming season.
agreed.

Not saying he won't be good, but I have a feeling his post play will be average, causing him to drift out (where he will need to develop/adjust quickly) to make a big impact. Should be interesting.

I wouldn't want MP3 checking him, but I bet Chase or AJ will handle him well defensively.

He's hardly Towns or Okafor
I don't think we'll see a big man comparable to either come through the college game in a while. Those were just two very special players. As an aside, pretty crazy that Rivals had Towns as the 5th best recruit that season, and even had him below Cliff Alexander.

I don't think we'll see a big man comparable to either come through the college game in a while. Those were just two very special players. As an aside, pretty crazy that Rivals had Towns as the 5th best recruit that season, and even had him below Cliff Alexander.
Many places has Cliff as potentially supplanting Jah at the #1 spot- just goes to show you it's hardly an exact science!

Reactions: Mark Gastineau
UK is going to struggle mightily next year as this will be Cal's weakest class talentwise since he started there. Since he doesn't actually coach and just wins using talent, I could see the team in the NIT next year especially with their conference getting stronger especially LSU with Ben Simmons.

Hahahaha

Cal is nothing but a cheater, will do anything to win.
False. Prove it or shut up. But you can't.

Cal is the only successful coach that "cheats" everybody else does it the right way. LOL

UNC is proven they are nothing but cheaters yet you still try to bring up Cal. Gracious

Agreed. Imagine what Towns could have done with more than 20ish mins a game. Thank goodness for Cal.

False. Prove it or shut up. But you can't.

Cal is the only successful coach that "cheats" everybody else does it the right way. LOL

UNC is proven they are nothing but cheaters yet you still try to bring up Cal. Gracious

Have all three of your posts since you joined Rivals 6 years ago been on the Duke board?

Have all three of your posts since you joined Rivals 6 years ago been on the Duke board?
No, the new rivals system as I have seen it, shows the number of posts you've had on each respective board.

Back to this topic. Anyone thinking that Skal isn't going to be an elite player is a moron. He's a top 3 pick on pretty much every single mock 2016 draft board. Will he be as good as Jah or KAT? Probably not, but i'm not going to sit here and say that UK is going to be a bad team or struggle to stay in the rankings, or whatever other garbage i've seen in this thread. They'll be legit. Murray will be very good, their entire team will be very good and will be top 10 all year.

now that that's over- so will we. We've got so much versatility this year it is going to be fun to watch how we gel as a team. i think it takes some time, but if it all comes together we'll be scary come february.

Kentucky beats Duke at everything.....on paper. Kentucky has more paper championships than anyone thanks to their fan base. More #1 recruiting classes, draft picks, more weeks as the favorite to win it all, etc....

Meanwhile, Cal has never beaten K H2H, Duke has two national championships to Kentucky's one since KY hired their car salesman/"coach", Duke has not been to the NIT in that time span, and us Duke fans couldn't be happier about all of the above.

You seem to ignore history if you have no idea why UK is top dog. I won't post it but you can simply look at "the list" they post on their board and look at all the factual data illustrating the dominance in college ball. I know you want to discount it without looking and I'm not expecting you to agree with it but go look. If you are smart enough to get into door (which they change the criteria for players to get in) then you will see the truth without fan bias.

I'm not trying to flame but there's no way a fan would change places from what UK has accomplished.

You seem to ignore history if you have no idea why UK is top dog. I won't post it but you can simply look at "the list" they post on their board and look at all the factual data illustrating the dominance in college ball. I know you want to discount it without looking and I'm not expecting you to agree with it but go look. If you are smart enough to get into door (which they change the criteria for players to get in) then you will see the truth without fan bias.

I'm not trying to flame but there's no way a fan would change places from what UK has accomplished.
huh?

FFS. I posted a response to something similar in the other KY thread Go read it and then kick back and watch a marathon of I Love Lucy and remember the good ole days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT