ADVERTISEMENT

5 Star Guard Jamal Murray to Kentucky

lkc1234

Recruit
Apr 12, 2007
5 Star Canadian guard Jamal Murray commits to Kentucky. They will have an outstanding back court with Murray, Ulis and Briscoe.

murray will tank in UK and be riding the bench...had one good game in his life at the Nike Summitt and plays garbage competition in Canada all year long

Cal will end up regretting how much he paid him to get on the team and also the guy they pay to take his SATS (though not sure you need to take those to get into UK)

Reactions: Dominator4321
murray will tank in UK and be riding the bench...had one good game in his life at the Nike Summitt and plays garbage competition in Canada all year long

Cal will end up regretting how much he paid him to get on the team and also the guy they pay to take his SATS (though not sure you need to take those to get into UK)

Orangeville Prep plays US teams, probably more frequently than Canadian teams. He followed the Hoop Summit game as MVP by being the MVP of the Canadian All-Star game. He was also like the 2013 Jordan Brand Classic MVP. I mean, I understand dislike, but blatant ignorance is unnecessary.

Orangeville Prep plays US teams, probably more frequently than Canadian teams. He followed the Hoop Summit game as MVP by being the MVP of the Canadian All-Star game. He was also like the 2013 Jordan Brand Classic MVP. I mean, I understand dislike, but blatant ignorance is unnecessary.
My impression from the UK boards is that ignorance is a requirement. Perhaps 'blatant' is optional?

Adding Murray is a big deal in that he helps stretch the floor. I'll be curious to see how the dynamic plays out with Briscoe.

Reactions: mbdfan
Looking at their depth chart, not much frontcourt depth or size. Rebounding could be an issue.

Little much brah.

Also he was never MVP of the Jordan Brand game, not that it matters, or maybe i'm missing something.

Reactions: Mark Gastineau
Little much brah.

Also he was never MVP of the Jordan Brand game, not that it matters, or maybe i'm missing something.

He was Co Most Valuable Player of the 2013 Jordan Brand Classic International game. This was a game of 16 and under players from outside the United States. It was played at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, NY

Looking at their depth chart, not much frontcourt depth or size. Rebounding could be an issue.

It's true, we will be vulnerable to foul trouble or injury, but I think our backcourt will be good enough to compensate. We do have Wynyard probably coming in December, but it's still unknown if he will be able to come in and play more than mop-up minutes. But he will help with practice and give us the backup option if someone does get hurt. Last year we were frontcourt heavy, and this year it will be the opposite.

Reactions: ArmyWildcat81
He was Co Most Valuable Player of the 2013 Jordan Brand Classic International game. This was a game of 16 and under players from outside the United States. It was played at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, NY
Didnt even know there was such a game.

You're joking right?

Yet to be determined at the collegiate level, but no, I don't think he'll be elite in his first year, especially not like Jah or Towns.

Yet to be determined at the collegiate level, but no, I don't think he'll be elite in his first year, especially not like Jah or Towns.
I've read the same thing, that Skal will be a little less production, a little more potential vs. Jah or Towns. Especially given his slight frame, I expect Marshall/Jefferson to hold their own against Skal when we play in November. Cal develops his guys, so Skal could be scary good come tourney time...

Even though I don't like the guy, Garry Parrish already projects Skal as next year's #1 pick, so I think that saying UK is thin up front is not really accurate. I do agree that the Cats won't think they're going undefeated next year, however. I like our chances at another Natty better than theirs.
OFC

Even though I don't like the guy, Garry Parrish already projects Skal as next year's #1 pick, so I think that saying UK is thin up front is not really accurate. I do agree that the Cats won't think they're going undefeated next year, however. I like our chances at another Natty better than theirs.
OFC

Depth and size-wise they are. Skal is skinny (and skilled as crap), Poythress short (with limited range), and they have Marcus Lee and a decent transfer in reserve.

That's a pretty darn good frontcourt, but not nearly what they've had lately. I expect them to make the Final 4 thanks to great guard play, but we'll see from there. Go Duke!

is he even going to play considering his eligibility issues? his handler asked people how to make money off players and set up a fake foundation for skal to play for and him to profit from.

He's going to struggle playing with that slight frame in the college and pros especially considering he has to guard opposing team centers that will be at least 20 pounds heavier. I expect Kentucky to drop games early and even more so in conference especially to LSU

Kentucky beats Duke at everything.....on paper. Kentucky has more paper championships than anyone thanks to their fan base. More #1 recruiting classes, draft picks, more weeks as the favorite to win it all, etc....

Meanwhile, Cal has never beaten K H2H, Duke has two national championships to Kentucky's one since KY hired their car salesman/"coach", Duke has not been to the NIT in that time span, and us Duke fans couldn't be happier about all of the above.

UK is going to struggle mightily next year as this will be Cal's weakest class talentwise since he started there. Since he doesn't actually coach and just wins using talent, I could see the team in the NIT next year especially with their conference getting stronger especially LSU with Ben Simmons.

UK is going to struggle mightily next year as this will be Cal's weakest class talentwise since he started there. Since he doesn't actually coach and just wins using talent, I could see the team in the NIT next year especially with their conference getting stronger especially LSU with Ben Simmons.
I just do not get this. The whole thing about Cal not being able to coach is ridiculous. Whether you like the man or not, be real.

I just do not get this. The whole thing about Cal not being able to coach is ridiculous. Whether you like the man or not, be real.
Depends on what you mean by "coach." He's a great recruiter and can balance egos and get guys to play as a team. But as a strategist and in-game tactician? He's nowhere close to K's level.

Depends on what you mean by "coach." He's a great recruiter and can balance egos and get guys to play as a team. But as a strategist and in-game tactician? He's nowhere close to K's level.
I didn't say a word about whether or not he "close to K's level." That wasnt the discussion. You do not do the things he is able to do without being able to coach. Calipari is a fine all around coach. The BS about him not being able to coach, is just that. IMO.

Last edited:
Yeah it is all context. Cal's coaching bonifides are proven, but if the conversation is specifically him vs. K then there is a vast separation.

Cal doesn't just roll the ball out there, but he's an average bench coach, at best. He has made terrible decisions in big games that have cost his team. Numerous situations where he didn't foul at the end of the game when he should have (2008 NC being the big one), jacking up 3s like crazy against WVU in 2010 when they were shooting terrible from 3, admitting he let his team look past WVU b/c of a potential match-up with Duke, and lets not forget his philosophy of not showing his team any game film of Wisconsin before the Final Four. His recruiting ability is what makes him a great coach, but his Xs and Os and game preparation leave a lot to be desired (if you're a KY fan; if not, then you couldn't be happier).

Cal doesn't just roll the ball out there, but he's an average bench coach, at best. He has made terrible decisions in big games that have cost his team. Numerous situations where he didn't foul at the end of the game when he should have (2008 NC being the big one), jacking up 3s like crazy against WVU in 2010 when they were shooting terrible from 3, admitting he let his team look past WVU b/c of a potential match-up with Duke, and lets not forget his philosophy of not showing his team any game film of Wisconsin before the Final Four. His recruiting ability is what makes him a great coach, but his Xs and Os and game preparation leave a lot to be desired (if you're a KY fan; if not, then you couldn't be happier).
Well said. Watching Cal panic and melt down vs. LSU, Notre Dame and Wisky was priceless. I haven't read about K's relationship with Cal, but it wouldn't surprise me if K is especially motivated when we play UK this year. That's a game with similar talent levels where I expect K to shine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT