ADVERTISEMENT

2025 Recruits

The_Only_Blue

Cameron Crazy
Nov 10, 2021
I know we're really early but I didn't see any posts involving anyone from the 2025 class yet. Anyways, within the last couple off days I've seen posts that we've offered the Boozer twins as well as Cooper Flagg. Jon and company are getting a really early start. Let's hope we can land them 🤞🤞🤞

Jon is taking a very different approach from Coach K who never offered sophomores and rarely rising juniors. I think a changing landscape (G league, etc.) as well as a different philosophy. I like it!

I like it as well. Building early relationships with players while still being able to focus on the current team needs . Would love to see the Boozer twins in Duke jerseys .

Reactions: Liftee
Years where we had (or will have) multiple OADs get drafted: 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022 (not counting 2020 as there was no tournament).

So, we made the Final Four 2/5. And the Regional Finals, 4/5 times. If you don't like those odds, there's no helping you.

People take a very backwards, myopic approach to compare OAD teams to teams that are heavy with juniors and seniors. A lot of people will say, "Freshmen teams don't do well. 2012 and 2015 are the only years where a OAD team won it all." There are essentially two OAD factories. So, we're comparing Duke and Kentucky every year to the #1 and #2 teams led by upperclassmen. It's a bad comparison because just about EVERYBODY ELSE is more often than not relying on upperclassmen. Take Villanova, for example. Yes, Villanova had two wonderful seasons in 2016 and 2018. But, you know what else? They also failed to make it out of the first weekend 8 times between 2010-2019.

Of course the #1 junior/senior led team in your average year is going to be better than Kentucky or Duke. There are some 50+ decent programs that are led by juniors and seniors. And only two that are led by freshmen. When you have 50+ options, your odds are obviously exceptionally higher.

And yes, it would be nice to have more vets stick around like Quinn Cook, Grayson Allen, and Wendell Moore. Sometimes those borderline 5-star recruits will stay a little longer than their peers. But, you can't rely on that. Bottom line is, you take talent every time. Your odds are infinitely better.

Years where we had (or will have) multiple OADs get drafted: 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022 (not counting 2020 as there was no tournament).

So, we made the Final Four 2/5. And the Regional Finals, 4/5 times. If you don't like those odds, there's no helping you.

People take a very backwards, myopic approach to compare OAD teams to teams that are heavy with juniors and seniors. A lot of people will say, "Freshmen teams don't do well. 2012 and 2015 are the only years where a OAD team won it all." There are essentially two OAD factories. So, we're comparing Duke and Kentucky every year to the #1 and #2 teams led by upperclassmen. It's a bad comparison because just about EVERYBODY ELSE is more often than not relying on upperclassmen. Take Villanova, for example. Yes, Villanova had two wonderful seasons in 2016 and 2018. But, you know what else? They also failed to make it out of the first weekend 8 times between 2010-2019.

Of course the #1 junior/senior led team in your average year is going to be better than Kentucky or Duke. There are some 50+ decent programs that are led by juniors and seniors. And only two that are led by freshmen. When you have 50+ options, your odds are obviously exceptionally higher.

And yes, it would be nice to have more vets stick around like Quinn Cook, Grayson Allen, and Wendell Moore. Sometimes those borderline 5-star recruits will stay a little longer than their peers. But, you can't rely on that. Bottom line is, you take talent every time. Your odds are infinitely better.
I tend to agree with a lot of this, comparing Duke and Kentucky versus the field, the field will almost always win.

That said, 2018 and 2019, we were 1 basket away from the final four in each of those. Had Kansas not tied it up late, Duke probably wins, and then of course the game against Michigan State. If Duke wins just one of those games and goes to the final four, you have a pretty good final four run every couple of years.

Duke truly should have had trips to the final four in 2015, 2018 or 2019, and 2022. That's not a bad run.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have some guys back, we all do, but top talent generally wins and you have a small chance of returning some of those guys.

The Zion team seemed to have the right mix of young talent and seasoned role players. If only our outside shooting was better.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeffrey236

I couldn't have said it better. Also, those senior laden teams change each year. How many teams other than Duke have been ranked #1 at some point during every season? And Duke gets almost every game on national TV because it is always in the headlines getting the best recruits. Who wants to give that up?

I don't want Duke intentionally trying to guess who will stay and develop in 2 or 3 years as opposed to the best talent available who might be so good they will leave after 1.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I couldn't have said it better. Also, those senior laden teams change each year. How many teams other than Duke have been ranked #1 at some point during every season? And Duke gets almost every game on national TV because it is always in the headlines getting the best recruits. Who wants to give that up?

I don't want Duke intentionally trying to guess who will stay and develop in 2 or 3 years as opposed to the best talent available who might be so good they will leave after 1.
Agreed and the portal can help us fill in the gaps on a yearly basis with experience. I can see Jon looking at the portal each year for a good mix of experience.

When you’re in a tight game in the tournament the ball will be in the hands of your guards so if your one returning player is your point guard that’s exactly what you want.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30

Been saying this for years. When people make the blanket statement of “you can’t win with OAD” or “it’s only been done once” they’re leaving out mountains worth of context.

Thank you for saving me the time to write it out yet again! Well done sir!

It's Duke we're talking about, not Texas, West Virginia... and the bar has been set high. Of course we want the talent. Who doesn't? But, the facts haven't changed. Our two teams since 14 that have made the final four had a good blend of oad's/veterans.

We have also been penalized for being Duke, in terms of keeping talent. And no matter what anyone says, it has hurt our chances of winning a title. Again, that hasn't meant we don't field competitive teams. We have, it's just that in the way college basketball has been set up, there has always been a few teams each season that are very good and experienced. Those are the one's cutting the nets down in April.

Things could change now with how the transfer portal is going. The hope is it will bring the teams to a level playing field in terms of experience. Everyone now wants the Brady Manek impact player.

Coaches are passing out business cards in the handshake line now.

It's Duke we're talking about, not Texas, West Virginia... and the bar has been set high. Of course we want the talent. Who doesn't? But, the facts haven't changed. Our two teams since 14 that have made the final four had a good blend of oad's/veterans.

We have also been penalized for being Duke, in terms of keeping talent. And no matter what anyone says, it has hurt our chances of winning a title. Again, that hasn't meant we don't field competitive teams. We have, it's just that in the way college basketball has been set up, there has always been a few teams each season that are very good and experienced. Those are the one's cutting the nets down in April.

Things could change now with how the transfer portal is going. The hope is it will bring the teams to a level playing field in terms of experience. Everyone now wants the Brady Manek impact player.

Coaches are passing out business cards in the handshake line now.
You take the talent every time. We can't start turning down top players. Is what it is. We've had a pretty damn good run since 2014-15. Every year but '16 and '21 Duke had a shot. I'll take it over knowing going into the year we don't have any chance at it. It's hard to win the whole thing no matter who you have.

You take the talent every time. We can't start turning down top players. Is what it is. We've had a pretty damn good run since 2014-15. Every year but '16 and '21 Duke had a shot. I'll take it over knowing going into the year we don't have any chance at it. It's hard to win the whole thing no matter who you have.
Not trying to argue, but did you even read what I posted? Nowhere in it did I say I disagree with taking talent. I only brought up facts.

Duke should never go into a season with low expectations. Never. That may change as the season goes though. And it has for most of our recent seasons. We start begging and praying that the team “comes together.”

Not trying to argue, but did you even read what I posted? Nowhere in it did I say I disagree with taking talent. I only brought up facts.

Duke should never go into a season with low expectations. Never. That may change as the season goes though. And it has for most of our recent seasons. We start begging and praying that the team “comes together.”
Not going to argue either. I think we've been pretty successful since 14-15. Winning a title, two ACC tournament titles, a reg season title, 2 FF, and 4 elite eights. And that's with covid ending our season in '20 where that team had a shot at a FF/NT. '18 and '19 each ended by the slimmest of margins. I don't think we really have too much to complain about. How successful has Kentucky been during the same stretch? No titles, 1 FF, and 3 elite eights. Arguably they've had just as much, if not more talent too. They're the school everyone compares us too. I don't like the current landscape, but this is the way of CBB now. I think Jon can handle it and get us another title.

Reactions: Liftee
I'd say we've had way more talent than Kentucky since 2015. If Keels goes in the first round we will have 5 NBA first round pics this year.

Reactions: Mac9192
I'd say we've had way more talent than Kentucky since 2015. If Keels goes in the first round we will have 5 NBA first round pics this year.
I would agree that we've had more talent than Kentucky since 2015, but they've also had some of their top guys return, where we have not. We have guys like Javin and Joey return with a Wendell and Jeremy mixed in, but they've had more guys stay than we have recently.

Reactions: christophero
Either way, we're spoiled and it shows. Duke has been extremely successful and consistent. I don't see that changing with Jon taking over. I hate the turnover, but we've been doing it for several years now and we're always right there in the mix of things. There's a ton of storied programs who haven't been able to consistently put together jackshit during that same time.

While I miss the good old days of recruiting highly regarded kids and then watching them develop over 4 years, I think I agree that we should continue to recruit the highly rated kids. With the new transfer rules, you run in the experienced players you need to fill gaps, as we did this last year. But to label the OADs as more talented is, IMO, incorrect. In the case of a physical freak like Zion, that’s probably an accurate label. But I’d argue that a 3-4 year upperclassmen at many of the Power 5 schools, and even a lot of mid-major schools, are more talented. They know how to play defense, understand their offensive schemes, know how to box out, etc. The difference is that many of those players have reached their developmental ceiling, and will never draw an NBA paycheck, whereas the OAD’s best days are still ahead of them. Unfortunately, those days won’t be at Duke or the schools that recruited them. That’s reflected each year in the draft, as it will be next month.

I like it as well. Building early relationships with players while still being able to focus on the current team needs . Would love to see the Boozer twins in Duke jerseys .
It’s very smart on Scheyer’s part to get this done while he has some time on his schedule and since he’s already on the road recruiting for the 2024 class. Also doesn’t hurt that 2 of 3 guys are major legacies and the 3rd guy (Cooper Flagg) already loves Duke. By potentially locking up our 2023 & 2025 recruiting classes, gives Scheyer and Lucas a ton of time to focus on the 2024 class.

Reactions: sheyduke
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT